Unexpected error 10053 from Winsock
david_b_dick
2005-12-13 15:26:38 UTC
I am new to blat and probably just an idiot, but can someone help me
with this error:
Unexpected error 10053 from Winsock
can't connect to mailserver <timed out if winsock.dll error 10060>
Error: not a socket.

I am using Windows XP with SP2 and all the latest security patches.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
namtog
2005-12-13 18:21:10 UTC
Greetings david_b_dick,
. . . and probably just an idiot, but can someone help me
Wow, your first post and we already have something in common.
Unexpected error 10053 from Winsock
can't connect to mailserver <timed out if winsock.dll error 10060>
Error: not a socket.
Could you post what version of Blat you are using and
how you are calling it? A little more info would
make things easier to comment on.

Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.QUssC/izNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
david_b_dick
2005-12-13 19:36:12 UTC
Thank you for your quick response. The version of blat is v1.9.4
I have it in the \windows\system32 directory and installed as follows:
blat -install smtp.blah.blah.blah ***@blahblah.com

I am calling it using a batch file, but the command line I am using
Greetings david_b_dick,
http://www.blat.net
Tim Musson
2005-12-13 21:55:20 UTC
Hey david_b_dick,

On Tuesday, December 13, 2005 at 2:36:12 PM you wrote

d> Thank you for your quick response. The version of blat is v1.9.4
d> I have it in the \windows\system32 directory and installed as follows:
d> blat -install smtp.blah.blah.blah ***@blahblah.com

d> I am calling it using a batch file, but the command line I am using
Post by namtog
Greetings david_b_dick,
. . . and probably just an idiot, but can someone help me
Wow, your first post and we already have something in common.
Unexpected error 10053 from Winsock
can't connect to mailserver <timed out if winsock.dll error
10060>>
Post by namtog
Error: not a socket.
This sounds to me like maybe you are not connecting to a valid SMTP
server...

You can check using Telnet smtp.server.tld 25 as documented in the
Examples section of the blat web pages.

I would also suggest you get the current version of Blat from the blat
web pages.
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00

http://us.click.yahoo.com/9QUssC/lzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
david_b_dick
2005-12-13 22:49:59 UTC
Hi Tim, Thank you for your response. I downloaded the latest
version, and checked to make sure I was connecting to a valid smtp
server. This all seems to check out ok. I am still getting the same
error. I feel certain I am doing some simple thing wrong, but can't
for the life of me figure out what it is. The goal was to have my
program send me an email whenever my work IP address changed since
the company I work for will not give me a static IP address and I
work from home alot remote controlling the work PC. Blat seemed like
the perfect solution to the email part of it for me if I can get it
working... Thank you again and I will keep working on it.

D²
Post by Tim Musson
Hey david_b_dick,
d> Thank you for your quick response. The version of blat is v1.9.4
d> I am calling it using a batch file, but the command line I am using
Greetings david_b_dick,
http://www.blat.net
Tim Musson
2005-12-13 23:15:39 UTC
namtog
2005-12-13 23:42:18 UTC
Greetings david_b_dick,

When I go back to your message 7988 and your
send string;

blat c:\temp\ipaddress.txt -to ***@blahblah

I noticed that you do not have a subject like this;

blat c:\temp\ipaddress.txt -to ***@blahblah -subject IP

The modern versions of Blat will hang with out a subject.
I needed to wait until I found out which version of Blat
you use. I have never tried any one earlier than 2.x.x.

You can try using -ss if you don't want a subject. From
the Blat syntax page;
-ss : suppress subject line if not defined

I have a couple of simple tools that may be of use to
you. Since you have no problem with the command line
look at Build It for a install;
http://bi.namtog.com

For a send string try Write It;
http://wi.namtog.com

One last tip, until you get Blat to work the way
you want it to place a copy of blat.exe in the
same folder with the batch script(?) you are using
to call Blat.

If you get your IP update script to work would you
mind posting it or linking to it so we could all take
a look. If there is a problem with this I understand.

Namtog

Most low income homes are not online. Make a difference this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5UeCyC/BWHMAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
Tim Musson
2005-12-14 00:03:35 UTC
Hey namtog,

On Tuesday, December 13, 2005 at 6:42:18 PM you wrote

n> The modern versions of Blat will hang with out a subject.

Not true....

I just ran this command line;
,-----
| blat - -body "testing" -to myself -debug -p MyBlatProfile
`-----

and got this message;
,-----

`-----
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
namtog
2005-12-14 15:57:11 UTC
Greetings Tim Musson,
Post by Tim Musson
Hey namtog,
n> The modern versions of Blat will hang with out a subject.
Not true....
I just ran this command line;
,-----
| blat - -body "testing" -to myself -debug -p MyBlatProfile
This tells me you want to point out;

a. That the myself command is still not listed in the Blat
syntax page. Only you insiders, you higher ups, are aware of
it.

b. The -debug tag is often forgotten by most who have trouble
with Blat and this is your way of reminding those of us who
forgot it. Teacher telling his errant pupils to remember the
101 class. One could diagnose 90% of their problems with -debug.

c. -p is what really makes installing Blat shine. It's so
flexible, having many accounts to serve who knows how many
users is trivial with Blat.

d. You like picking on simple older people like me. Bully.

Now that the above is out of the way. You once mentioned
that you have most versions of Blat. In the pre 2.x.x.
releases where there any significant call differences?

Crying himself silently to sleep,
Namtog

http://www.blat.net
Tim Musson
2005-12-14 17:35:02 UTC
Hey namtog,
Post by Tim Musson
| blat - -body "testing" -to myself -debug -p MyBlatProfile
n> This tells me you want to point out;

n> a. That the myself command is still not listed in the Blat syntax
n> page. Only you insiders, you higher ups, are aware of it.

Interesting point... I am not sure it belongs in the syntax output of
Blat, but I will definitely add it to the -to section of the web help
pages.

n> b. The -debug tag is often forgotten by most who have trouble with
n> Blat and this is your way of reminding those of us who forgot it.
n> Teacher telling his errant pupils to remember the 101 class. One
n> could diagnose 90% of their problems with -debug.

:) that is why my canned initial response looks like this:
<start>
When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses - it is never
a good idea to send that information to a public list.
</end>

n> c. -p is what really makes installing Blat shine. It's so flexible,
n> having many accounts to serve who knows how many users is trivial
n> with Blat.

Actually, I have never been a fan of the -install option. Especially
when trying to support Blat. It hides a number of the options that
could be causing problems.

And, I have just started using the -p option like I had in my example
*because* it hides all my personal options... :) Yes, I have a profile
called "MyBlatProfile" just for this reason!

n> d. You like picking on simple older people like me. Bully.

Me? A bully? LOL

n> Now that the above is out of the way. You once mentioned that you
n> have most versions of Blat. In the pre 2.x.x. releases where there
n> any significant call differences?

Well, I started with v1.9.4, and can't think of anything, other than
adding options, and removing the hard requirement for the initial '-'
if you don't specify a text file for the msg body.

n> Crying himself silently to sleep,

LOL, always good to have some levity on the list... :)
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.