Verizon SMTP Settings
dakdesigner@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-11-08 03:58:26 UTC
Good evening,
I have a client who uses verizon email and am having difficulty sending emails via blat. I think there were changes a while back and am asking if anyone has settings that work with verizon.net emails.

My current settings to install blat are:

blat -install outgoing.verizon.net ***@verizon.net -u ***@verizon.net -pw pa$$word -portSMTP 587

to send a test email:
blat test.txt -to ***@business.com -server outgoing.verizon.net -portSMTP 587

I have tried to use other mail servers that Verizon has partnered with (smtp.aol.com, smtp.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.yahoo.com) and have had no success.

I am using blat 3.2.19.0 (Dec 7, 2017). I am able to send from other email addresses.

I appreciate your help!
Daniel
'Moore, Bruce' bamoore@bbandt.com [blat]
2018-11-08 04:36:17 UTC
Daniel
Since you can send from other email addresses, it would appear that something is blocking the clients email. Is Blat logging turned on – use –log filename.path option – and let us know what errors are in the log.
Thanks

Bruce Moore

I have a client who uses verizon email and am having difficulty sending emails via blat. I think there were changes a while back and am asking if anyone has settings that work with verizon.net emails.

My current settings to install blat are:

blat -install outgoing.verizon.net ***@verizon.net -u ***@verizon.net -pw pa$$word -portSMTP 587

to send a test email:

blat test.txt -to ***@business.com -server outgoing.verizon.net -portSMTP 587

I have tried to use other mail servers that Verizon has partnered with (smtp.aol.com, smtp.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.yahoo.com) and have had no success.

I am using blat 3.2.19.0 (Dec 7, 2017). I am able to send from other email addresses.

I appreciate your help!

Daniel

The information in this transmission may contain proprietary and non-public information of BB&T or its affiliates and may be subject to protection under the law. The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete the material from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission.

'Mike Mattos' mmattos@rogers.com [blat]
2018-11-08 12:47:00 UTC
Some service providers simply do not allow you to send any email unless you are using their network. That is to say, a service providers SMTP server that you can access from your laptop while connected at work may accept not accept mail sent via your cell phone or via the same laptop while at home or travelling.

Investigate gmail or an independent like easymail if you need to send from multiple addresses or locations. Once they are working, they are portable!

Mike

dakdesigner@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-11-11 04:22:40 UTC
Mike,
I agree. And I have set this client up with another email address that works. But he insists on using his verizon email address. So I have to at least exhaust the possibilities of it working!
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2018-11-08 07:35:01 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [blat]
Good evening,
I have a client who uses verizon email and am having difficulty sending
emails via blat. I think there were changes a while back and am asking if
anyone has settings that work with verizon.net emails.
outgoing.verizon.net -portSMTP 587
I have tried to use other mail servers that Verizon has partnered with
(smtp.aol.com, smtp.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.yahoo.com) and have
had no success.
I am using blat 3.2.19.0 (Dec 7, 2017). I am able to send from other email addresses.
I appreciate your help!
Daniel
Daniel,

The main problem I see is the use of port 587, which tells me that Verizon
is requiring SSL or TLS connections. If your client is on a Verizon network
(cable or DSL), then your client should be able to use port 25 and not need
to use SSL or TLS.

If you do need SSL or TLS services, I have always suggested we use STUNNEL
to provide those encrypted connections. This is a free to download and use
program, developed in the open source community, and is kept current with
the encryption standards. This simple, nifty program sits between Blat and
the SMTP server, converting Blat's communication into encrypted data going
back and forth. Stunnel can be downloaded from
https://www.stunnel.org/downloads.html.

If you are able to check the message archive, there are a number of stunnel
configuration files to review, and these will give you most of what you need
to connect Blat to Verizon over SSL/TLS.

Chip
dakdesigner@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-11-11 04:20:26 UTC
Hi Chip,

I have been able to successfully use stunnel for gmail setups. I tried editing the stunnel.config file to work with outgoing.verizon.net, but with no success. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something. But here's what I'm using:

from the cmd:

blat test.txt -to ***@re**************n.biz -server 127.0.0.1:1099

I modified the stunnel.config file as directed from this site (http://www.jeffkastner.com/2010/01/blat-stunnel-and-gmail/)

[gmail-smtp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = outgoing.verizon.net:587
verifyChain = yes
CAfile = ca-certs.pem
checkHost = outgoing.verizon.net
OCSPaia = yes

i get the following in my debug.txt log:

2018.11.10 23:17:14 (Sat)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.2.19 (build : Nov 18 2017 03:15:08)
64-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
Error: Server refused connection.
2018.11.10 23:17:15 (Sat)-------------End of Session------------------

I will experiment with the other myriad possible smtp settings verizon has.

Thanks,
Daniel
Skand Bhargava skand.bhargava@gmail.com [blat]
Daniel
dakdesigner@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-11-11 04:23:54 UTC
Always a good test! Yes, my client uses his Verizon address regularly through Outlook.
dakdesigner@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-11-11 04:05:15 UTC
Bruce,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay responding.

Here are the results of my test using outgoing.verizon.net portSMTP 587

2018.11.10 22:59:59 (Sat)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.2.19 (build : Nov 18 2017 03:15:08)
64-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
*** Error *** SMTP server error
Error: Not a socket.
Error: Not a socket.
2018.11.10 23:00:21 (Sat)-------------End of Session------------------

using outgoing.verizon.net portSMTP 465:

2018.11.10 23:01:47 (Sat)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.2.19 (build : Nov 18 2017 03:15:08)
64-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
*** Error *** SMTP server error
Error: Not a socket.
Error: Not a socket.
2018.11.10 23:02:08 (Sat)-------------End of Session------------------

and using outgoing.verizon.net portSMTP 25:

2018.11.10 23:03:40 (Sat)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.2.19 (build : Nov 18 2017 03:15:08)
64-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
*** Error *** SMTP server error
Error: Not a socket.
Error: Not a socket.