Attachments work for all recipients but one (blat 2.2.1)
rn_moffatt
2004-02-11 11:33:00 UTC
Hi all,
I'm using blat 2.2.1 called from the dll. I have written some VBA
code that successfully builds a blat command and passes it to the dll
to send emails in HTML format with attachments.

The problem I have is that for one recipient, the attachments are not
getting through :-(
Of 8 separate emails sent to 8 separate companies, 7 worked
perfectly. The eigth email got through, but with no attachments.

My initial reaction was that it must have been blocked at their email
server. However, sending the same email manually (i.e. not through
blat) works fine, the attachments get through. Further more, on the
blat email that they receive, there is no "attachments were removed"
type message that you would expect to see.

Here is the blat command I am passing to the dll (split into lines
for readability)

"C:\BCA_Scripts\control\html_email_body.html"
-server "server:25"
-f "***@sender.co.uk"
-to "***@recipient.co.uk"
-html
-htmaltf "C:\BCA_Scripts\control\email_body.txt"
-s "Subject Line"
-from "Supplier Reports <***@sender.co.uk>"
-mime
-binary
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Delivery_Performance_Supplier_Summary.pdf"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Delivery_Performance_PO_discrepancies.pdf"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Profile_Item_Detail.pdf"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Profile_Logistics.pdf"
-debug
-log "C:\BCA_Scripts\logs\2004-02-09.blat.txt"
-timestamp

As I say, this command must be correct somehow because the other 7
emails worked fine. I know that the weight of evidence is pointing
towards the recipient party rather than blat, but thought I'd post
this up here just in case people had any ideas. Also, since sending
the email with attachments to the same recipient, not through blat,
does work. Argh!

TIA,
Robin

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/dkFolB/TM
rn_moffatt
2004-02-11 11:54:36 UTC
Replying to my own post I know, but just to say that the attachments
successfully made it through when I stripped down my command to:

"C:\BCA_Scripts\control\email_body.txt"
-server "server:25"
-f "***@sender.co.uk"
-to "***@recipient.co.uk"
-subject "Supplier Reports"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Delivery_Performance_Supplier_Summary.pdf"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Delivery_Performance_PO_discrepancies.pdf"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Profile_Item_Detail.pdf"
-attach "C:\BCA_Scripts\PDF\2004-02-09\513644
\Supplier_Profile_Logistics.pdf"
-debug
-log "C:\BCA_Scripts\logs\2004-02-09.blat.txt"
-timestamp

So, no HTML -from, -binary, or -mine and it works!
I've enquired as to what email client the recipient is running, but
surely I can send HTML email with a plain text alternative specified
without crippling the attachments?

Robin
Post by rn_moffatt
Hi all,
I'm using blat 2.2.1 called from the dll. I have written some VBA
code that successfully builds a blat command and passes it to the dll
to send emails in HTML format with attachments.
The problem I have is that for one recipient, the attachments are not
getting through :-(
Of 8 separate emails sent to 8 separate companies, 7 worked
perfectly. The eigth email got through, but with no attachments.
[snip]

rn_moffatt
2004-02-11 12:31:19 UTC
And another followup:

If I don't send the email as HTML, it works. If I do, it doesn't.
I've tried changing the -htmaltf to -alttextf with no effect.

The problem recipient is using Outlook 2000.

1) Is there an option within Outlook that could be causing the
attachments to be hidden when part of an HTML email? We're a Notes
site, and don't have access to Outlook.

2) Is there anything else I can try changing within my blat command
that may make a difference? My system is going to be used to send
automatic emails 100s of times, and we can't contact every recipient
instructing them to configure their email client just right...

Cheers, Robin

--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "rn_moffatt" <***@y...>
wrote:
[snip]
2004-02-11 12:46:22 UTC
Hey rn_moffatt,

My MUA believes you used eGroups-EW/0.82
to write the following on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 7:31:19 AM.

r> If I don't send the email as HTML, it works. If I do, it doesn't.
r> I've tried changing the -htmaltf to -alttextf with no effect.

Interesting, have you tried -bcc'ing yourself on this?

r> The problem recipient is using Outlook 2000.

r> 1) Is there an option within Outlook that could be causing the
r> attachments to be hidden when part of an HTML email? We're a Notes
r> site, and don't have access to Outlook.

r> 2) Is there anything else I can try changing within my blat command
r> that may make a difference? My system is going to be used to send
r> automatic emails 100s of times, and we can't contact every recipient
r> instructing them to configure their email client just right...

I have an Ol2k client, so you could try sending to me there if you
want... eMail me direct if you would like to try it.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.01.3
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
use Perl; \ program \ fulfillment
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.1, see www.blat.net

Rick Nakroshis
2004-02-11 12:44:26 UTC
Post by rn_moffatt
The problem recipient is using Outlook 2000.
I seem to remember a security update to Outlook that "helped" you by
quietly removing access to attachments with certain extensions that could
be "dangerous". No warning, the attachments were just gone.

You might try compressing the attachments into a ZIP file, and sending
that, to see if that will get it past Outlook.

Rick
2004-02-11 12:57:22 UTC
Hey rn_moffatt,

My MUA believes you used eGroups-EW/0.82
to write the following on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 6:33:00 AM.

r> -f "***@sender.co.uk"
r> -from "Supplier Reports <***@sender.co.uk>"

Did you know you can do this?
-f "Supplier Reports <***@sender.co.uk>"
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.01.3
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
Who is "they" anyway?

2004-02-12 02:00:02 UTC
Post by rn_moffatt
[...]
Robin,

The issue is probably that Blat v2.2.1 formulates the headers in a way that
might not be liked by the receiving system. The problem happens because you
use the alternate text file, which causes Blat to build
"multipart/alternative" headers. According to the RFCs, based on your
options above, the receiving system *should* be just fine. Have you tried
to find out what the receiver is using for a server and email client? Maybe
we can figure out why they cannot see your attachments if we know those two
items.

You can also try emailing me directly with those parameters so I can verify
the headers are being built properly, especially the attachment headers.

rn_moffatt
2004-02-13 11:07:11 UTC
Thanks for people's comments. I've reverted to sending plain-text
emails for now, but am getting access to Outlook 2000 so that I can
tinker and maybe see what the exact client settings are that cause
the problem.

Cheers, Robin