Newbi
boydad3
2003-08-15 22:55:31 UTC
Hi all, I am brand new to blat. In fact all I've done is read posts
and readme files. It looks as thought blat is the tool I've been
looking for.

Here is what I'm trying to do plase let me know if it is possible
with blat before I invest alot of time.

thanks I do appreciate your time.

Here goes:

I am an SMS admin and I'm currently putting togther a job that finds
bad AV clients. When it finds one it repairs it. Management would
like my SMS wrapper to then send two emails one to the client and
another to the helpdesk. Contained in the e-mail would be some
static verbage about what happened. The only thing that will change
is one of the addresse.

Can Blat do this for me and by default can I use my exchange 2000
server as the host?

thanks again for any insight you may have for me.

Have a great weekend and if you don't read this unitl monday I hope
had a great one.

Rob

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-08-16 00:37:48 UTC
Post by boydad3
[...]
Yes. In order to use blat without going through an install step, supply the
server name, email addresses known to that server, some text, and you're all
set. For example:

blat - -body "static test goes here."
-server exchange.server
-to "User <emailaddy>","Admin <adminemailaddy>"
-f "SMS <adminemailaddy>"

The first hyphen says there is no file to be sent, but look for the message
body to be with the -body option.

The -f option is needed when you do not install beforehand. This tells blat
to use that email address as the From: address, and it should be known to
your Exchange server.

By default, Blat will use port 25. If your server is on a different port,
use the -port option with the correct port number.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
Scott Family
2003-08-16 03:21:53 UTC
Wow Chip great reply. I'll try it out.

In this example am I just calling Blat from the local workstation

Thanks very much

Rob

2003-08-16 13:23:28 UTC
Post by Scott Family
Wow Chip great reply. I'll try it out.
In this example am I just calling Blat from the local workstation
Thanks very much
Rob
Yes, the example is run from the local workstation.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
danielnwa
2003-08-23 05:47:07 UTC
I am brand new to blat as well. Thanks Chip for the useful
replied. I tried it and it is working. But this is only working
for localhost. I would like to use blat to send mail across the
LAN/WAN. I tried using -to ***@yahoo.com but that returned an
error message

Sending stdin.txt to ***@yahoo.coom
Subject: hearme?
Login name is bum
The SMTP server does not like the name ***@yahoo.coom.
Have you set the 'To:' field correctly, or do you need authorization
(-u/-pw) ?
The SMTP server response was -> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
***@yahoo.co
om

can you tell me how to do this? Thanks a bunch

Daniel
2003-08-23 12:15:26 UTC
Post by danielnwa
I am brand new to blat as well. Thanks Chip for the useful
replied. I tried it and it is working. But this is only working
for localhost. I would like to use blat to send mail across the
error message
Login name is bum
Have you set the 'To:' field correctly, or do you need authorization
(-u/-pw) ?
The SMTP server response was -> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
om
can you tell me how to do this? Thanks a bunch
Daniel
Bill mentioned the yahoo.coom problem. Using your server to relay messages
to outside your domain (lan/wan) may require you use the -u and -pw options.
These are probably your login name and password for the network.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
danielnwa
2003-08-24 11:23:53 UTC
Thanks all for the responses. Right now, I just want to try sending
blat mail to yahoo from my home. Lets say my yahoo email account is
***@yahoo.com with the password pass. Is this what I need to
do to accomplish this? Can anyone give me a sample command line?
Thank you very much all.

Daniel

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
Britt Malka
2003-08-24 11:38:01 UTC
 Can anyone give me a sample command line?
blat c:\name-of-text-file.txt -to ***@yahoo.com -s subject

This will send the file name-of-text-file.txt to you with the subject "subject".

When you have unpacked Blat, you have a folder called Documents. There you can see more examples.
--
Med venlig hilsen
Britt Malka

|\ /|
| \__/ |
\/ \/
| |
\\ //
\ /
\/

Jeg vil hedde Brian og have en sort Golf

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-08-24 12:09:24 UTC
Post by danielnwa
Thanks all for the responses. Right now, I just want to try sending
blat mail to yahoo from my home. Lets say my yahoo email account is
do to accomplish this? Can anyone give me a sample command line?
Thank you very much all.
Daniel
For your home use, get the SMTP server name and port number from your
regular email program. You need these to install Blat for ease of use.

blat -install [smtp server name] "Daniel <home email address>" 1 [port]

After you run the above, filling in the missing server name and port number
and email address, you can run blat like Britt showed.

The quotation marks around your name and email address is so that your name
will appear in outgoing mail. You must have the '<' and '>' around your
email address for it to work. Do not include the square brackets '[' and
']' when you run the above command line.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
danielnwa
2003-08-24 19:30:15 UTC
I tried this
SMTP server set to smtp.mail.yahoo.com on port 25 with user
***@yahoo.com,
retry 1 time(s)

blat c:\testingblat.txt -to ***@maka.it -s testing-blat
Blat v2.1.1 (build : Aug 13 2003 10:03:22)

Sending c:\testingblat.txt to ***@maka.it
Subject: testing-blat
Login name is ***@yahoo.com
The SMTP server does not like the sender name.
Have you set your mail address correctly?
Error: Connection to server was dropped.

So I tried this

blat - -to ***@yahoo.com -server smtp.m
ail.yahoo.com -f ***@yahoo.com -u ***@yahoo.com -pw password -subject
test -body "hello"

Error Message
the SMTP server did not accept Auth PLAIN value.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

Daniel

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-08-25 00:26:11 UTC
Post by danielnwa
I tried this
SMTP server set to smtp.mail.yahoo.com on port 25 with user
retry 1 time(s)
Blat v2.1.1 (build : Aug 13 2003 10:03:22)
The SMTP server does not like the sender name.
Have you set your mail address correctly?
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
So I tried this
-body "hello"
Error Message
the SMTP server did not accept Auth PLAIN value.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks.
Daniel
The -u should be only your email account, not the fully qualified email
address.

Let's take my account information as an example.

Step 1:
blat -install smtp.mail.yahoo.com "Chip <***@yahoo.com>" - -

Step 2:
blat - -to somebody -u chipprogrammer -pw password -subject test
-body "hello"

The -u should not have the domain included. It should be only your ID on
Yahoo.

If you want, write to me offlist with your regular email program and I can
send back what your blat line should look like.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
Bill Stevenson
2003-08-23 05:50:29 UTC
Looks like a typo to me

***@yahoo.coom

Should be ***@yahoo.com

Post by Chip
Post by boydad3
server as the host?
thanks again for any insight you may have for me.
Have a great weekend and if you don't read this unitl monday
hope
Post by Chip
use the -port option with the correct port number.
Chip
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705