Blat newbie questions
henski05
2005-08-31 21:05:10 UTC
Greetings,

This is my 1st try at Blat. I hope someone can help me with the
following:

I am using Blat.dll 2.4 with VFP 8

1- If I send from within an application, I get 'Contents of
file .....' as subject, even though I specified a subject.

This is the string:

C:\TEMP\Blat.txt -server smtp1.something.com -f ***@something.com -to
***@something.com -cc ***@something.com -s 'My Subject
line' -base64

2- If I send from a test prg (a modified version of the blat/vfp
sample prg), I get my message body text file attached if I specify
no attachment. If I do specify any attachment, the body text goes in
the body (like it should)

Here is my string:

C:\TEMP\Blat.txt -server smtp1.something.com -f ***@something.com -to
***@something.com -s "Test sent using Blat" -base64

Note: Since I specified no attachment, c:\vfp\config.fpw is getting
attached instead of filling the message body.

3- Finally, if there any VFP folks out there (Bob? Malcolm?), I get
errors building my project (Unable to find unknown SEND). I get no
such problem from BigSpeed's Bszip.dll calls. EXTERNAL LIBRARY did
not help.

Hope somebody can help,

Thanks,

Henry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
2005-09-01 00:38:36 UTC
Post by henski05
[...]
Try removing the -base64 option. This is usually not needed. The use
of -base64 will cause your message body to be encoded with base64, which can
often be interpreted as an attachment.

Does your project expect the Send() function to be a C style entry point, or
does it expect _stdcall (Pascal)? The _stdcall type is typical of Windows
DLL files.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Henry
2005-09-01 01:11:12 UTC
AWESOME!!!

Removing -base64 did it.

As for Send(), the project expects Send() to be native command, a procedure or function call. The reproject tries to resolve all references to make sure the compiled app has all the pieces it needs. For some reason, it is not recognizing that the SEND call relates to the dll that was just declared a few lines above.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
ykai
2005-09-02 07:01:40 UTC
...I get my message body text file attached ...
This is a known misunderstanding with the -base64 option.
It does not do what you expect (what DO you expect?) it to do.
In fact it is *meant* to make an attachment from your "message body".
Drop that option (-base64) from your command line and this problem
will vanish.
--
Kai

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Henry
2005-09-03 01:06:52 UTC
Kai,

I did and it has. Thanks!!

Henry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Henry
2005-09-07 17:15:45 UTC
Hi,

Any idea why I am getting 'Contents of file .....' as subject, even though I specified a subject?

This is the string I used:

C:\TEMP\Blat.txt -server smtp1.something.com -f ***@something.com -to ***@something.com
-cc ***@something.com -s 'My Subject line' -attach blat.dll

Is there a known reason for the subject to be suppressed this way ?

Thanks,

Henry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
namtog
2005-09-07 17:20:15 UTC
Post by Henry
Is there a known reason for the subject to be suppressed this way ?
Thanks,
Henry
Greetings Henry,

Try using double quotes so;
-s 'My Subject line'
becomes
-s "My Subject line"

Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Henry
2005-09-07 17:52:17 UTC
Hi Namtog,

No luck. Tried both ' ' and " " and they both yield the same subject line.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Henry
Post by Henry
Is there a known reason for the subject to be suppressed this way ?
Thanks,
Henry
Greetings Henry,

Try using double quotes so;
-s 'My Subject line'
becomes
-s "My Subject line"

Namtog

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

Estate program real software Software development program Scheduling program software

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
namtog
2005-09-07 18:21:50 UTC
Post by Henry
Hi Namtog,
No luck. Tried both ' ' and " " and they both yield the same
subject line.
Post by Henry
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Henry
Greetings Henry,

Just to be sure I sent two emails with the -s "My subject"
and they both came through correctly.

Have you tried installing blat so your send string would look
like this;
blat some.txt -to ***@someplace.com -cc
***@someplace.com -s "My subject line" -attach some.dll

All of the above on one line. Maybe setting a server and -f is
causing the problem.

Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Henry
2005-09-07 18:33:33 UTC
Hi Namtog & Kai,

Using Kai's suggestion, I tried removing from & server and it failed:

2005.09.07 14:29:01 (Wed)------------Start of Session-----------------
Failed to open registry key for Blat
To set the SMTP server's address and the user name at that address do:
blat -install server username
or use '-server <server name>' and '-f <user name>'
aborting, nothing sent
2005.09.07 14:29:01 (Wed)-------------End of Session------------------

I should explain that I CANNOT install Blat as this would make it totally useless to me. I would like Blat to work from within my app with NO INSTALLATION or REGISTRY tampering. Many of my users are in locked-down environment and no installations are permitted.

I currently, and without INSTALL, can send emails with content and all except that my subject is ignored. In another test program, my subject is intact and I am trying real hard to nail down the difference between both programs.

I will next debug & log my attempts WITH server & from specified.

THanks for your help,

Henry

namtog
2005-09-07 19:13:18 UTC
Greetings Henry,

If it's permissible and at the appropriate time
I would enjoy hearing about your project.

I don't know of a list anywhere but I'm willing
to bet real money that the list of Blat powered
applications is extensive. All the way from tidbits
from hobbyists like me to full blow applications
from the professionals.

A lot of people stop by this board to say hi or
ask for help with this or that. Few stop back
to let us know how their creations turn out. Or
better still provide a way for us to try them out.

I certainly don't expect professionals to give
away tools they use to earn their living. In the
same token I can't be the only hobbyist to find
many uses for the functionality Blat provides on
the windows platform.

To all reading this, pony up to the bar boys, post
a link to Blat for this or Blat for that.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
2005-09-08 00:12:34 UTC
Post by Henry
Hi,
Any idea why I am getting 'Contents of file .....' as subject, even though
I specified a subject?
Is there a known reason for the subject to be suppressed this way ?
Thanks,
Henry
I presume you are using the .dll, like in your previous messages, is this
correct?

Which version of Blat.dll/.exe are you using?

Are you using single quote marks (') around your subject matter or double
quotation marks (") ?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Henry
2005-09-08 00:44:33 UTC
Hi Chip,
Post by Chip
I presume you are using the .dll
Yes
Post by Chip
Which version of Blat.dll/.exe are you using?
2.4
Post by Chip
Are you using single quote marks (') around your subject matter or double quotation marks (") ?
Double ("subject")

Here is the string that works:

C:\TEMP\blatbody.txt -server smtp.isp.ca -f ***@isp.ca -to ***@isp.ca -cf C:\TEMP\blatCC.txt -sf C:\TEMP\blatsubj.txt

It seems keeping it SHORT helps a lot so I moved all my long pieces into temp files.

Henry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM