Attachments with Blat
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-09 14:47:12 UTC
Hi list,

I just started using blat to send myself a backup plain-text log as
an attachment from a remote computer. It works excellent, but for a
quirk(?).

In my mailer the attachment turns up with the file name "Unnamed
attchment 1.att".

Not sure whether this is a blatproblem or receiving mailer-problem?
Shouldn't the attachment turn up in my mailer with the actual file
name, eg "backup.txt"?

This is really a cosmetic thing, as I usually can just dbl-click
the attachment from within my mailer and read the file, just
curious if there is a potential problem somewhere.

The blat-version I'm using is the win32-type v2.4, under win2k sp4.
On the recieving end, there's a winxp sp2 and the mailer is PMMail
for win Pro v2.20.2717.

The commandline I use from within a batch-file is

"c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
my.email-***@myorg.com -subject "Raider backup log" -attacht
"c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime

Line may wrap, and the mailaddress has been obfuscated. 8-) The
-8bit mime part is a leftover from when I tried out whether the
encoding may make my malier not see what the attachment is.

Any help or hint would be appreciated.

Thx.

BW,

Sorin
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: POSIX compliance problem
2005-02-09 15:23:22 UTC
Hey Sorin,

On Wednesday, February 9, 2005 at 9:47:12 AM you wrote

SS> Hi list,

SS> I just started using blat to send myself a backup plain-text log as
SS> an attachment from a remote computer. It works excellent, but for a
SS> quirk(?).

SS> In my mailer the attachment turns up with the file name "Unnamed
SS> attchment 1.att".

SS> Not sure whether this is a blatproblem or receiving mailer-problem?
SS> Shouldn't the attachment turn up in my mailer with the actual file
SS> name, eg "backup.txt"?

SS> This is really a cosmetic thing, as I usually can just dbl-click
SS> the attachment from within my mailer and read the file, just
SS> curious if there is a potential problem somewhere.

SS> The blat-version I'm using is the win32-type v2.4, under win2k sp4.
SS> On the recieving end, there's a winxp sp2 and the mailer is PMMail
SS> for win Pro v2.20.2717.

SS> The commandline I use from within a batch-file is

SS> "c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
SS> my.email-***@myorg.com -subject "Raider backup log" -attacht
SS> "c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime

SS> Line may wrap, and the mailaddress has been obfuscated. 8-) The
SS> -8bit mime part is a leftover from when I tried out whether the
SS> encoding may make my malier not see what the attachment is.

SS> Any help or hint would be appreciated.

Hmmm, I can't reproduce your error.

I did this from a batch file:
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0 -p blat -debug

and the batch file I used was the message body (the first %0) and also
a correctly named and readable text attachment (the second %0).

Do you have another mail reader you could try?
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-09 15:24:57 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
SS> I just started using blat to send myself a backup plain-text log as
SS> an attachment from a remote computer. It works excellent, but for a
SS> quirk(?).
SS> In my mailer the attachment turns up with the file name "Unnamed
SS> attchment 1.att".
SS> Not sure whether this is a blatproblem or receiving mailer-problem?
SS> Shouldn't the attachment turn up in my mailer with the actual file
SS> name, eg "backup.txt"?
SS> This is really a cosmetic thing, as I usually can just dbl-click
SS> the attachment from within my mailer and read the file, just
SS> curious if there is a potential problem somewhere.
SS> The blat-version I'm using is the win32-type v2.4, under win2k sp4.
SS> On the recieving end, there's a winxp sp2 and the mailer is PMMail
SS> for win Pro v2.20.2717.
SS> The commandline I use from within a batch-file is
SS> "c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
SS> "c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime
SS> Line may wrap, and the mailaddress has been obfuscated. 8-) The
SS> -8bit mime part is a leftover from when I tried out whether the
SS> encoding may make my malier not see what the attachment is.
SS> Any help or hint would be appreciated.
Hmmm, I can't reproduce your error.
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0 -p blat -debug
and the batch file I used was the message body (the first %0) and also
a correctly named and readable text attachment (the second %0).
Do you have another mail reader you could try?
Could try Eudora. BRB.

BW,

Sorin
Post by Tim Musson
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: network packets travelling uphill (use a carrier pigeon)
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-09 15:34:25 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
Post by Tim Musson
SS> I just started using blat to send myself a backup plain-text log as
SS> an attachment from a remote computer. It works excellent, but for a
SS> quirk(?).
SS> In my mailer the attachment turns up with the file name "Unnamed
SS> attchment 1.att".
SS> Not sure whether this is a blatproblem or receiving mailer-problem?
SS> Shouldn't the attachment turn up in my mailer with the actual file
SS> name, eg "backup.txt"?
SS> This is really a cosmetic thing, as I usually can just dbl-click
SS> the attachment from within my mailer and read the file, just
SS> curious if there is a potential problem somewhere.
SS> The blat-version I'm using is the win32-type v2.4, under win2k sp4.
SS> On the recieving end, there's a winxp sp2 and the mailer is PMMail
SS> for win Pro v2.20.2717.
SS> The commandline I use from within a batch-file is
SS> "c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
SS> "c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime
SS> Line may wrap, and the mailaddress has been obfuscated. 8-) The
SS> -8bit mime part is a leftover from when I tried out whether the
SS> encoding may make my malier not see what the attachment is.
SS> Any help or hint would be appreciated.
Hmmm, I can't reproduce your error.
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0 -p blat -debug
and the batch file I used was the message body (the first %0) and also
a correctly named and readable text attachment (the second %0).
Do you have another mail reader you could try?
Could try Eudora. BRB.
This is weird... Using Eudora v6.2.1.4 in sponsored mode, I don't
get any attachment at all, only the correct subject line and the
short body text.

Rechecking PMMail, I get the attachment, but with the "unnamed..."
attachment name.

Has anybody else gotten strange results when sending attachments?

Thx.

BW,

Sorin
Post by Sorin Srbu
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
2005-02-09 15:47:33 UTC
Hey Sorin,
Post by Sorin Srbu
Post by Tim Musson
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0 -p blat -debug
and the batch file I used was the message body (the first %0) and also
a correctly named and readable text attachment (the second %0).
Do you have another mail reader you could try?
Could try Eudora. BRB.
SS> This is weird... Using Eudora v6.2.1.4 in sponsored mode, I don't
SS> get any attachment at all, only the correct subject line and the
SS> short body text.

SS> Rechecking PMMail, I get the attachment, but with the "unnamed..."
SS> attachment name.

Lets simplify a bit.

Try creating a new batch file and putting just this in it.

blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0

The "-to myself" is a keyword that says "hey, lets use the -f parm for
-t also!". If you need the path for Blat, add it, but let's not make
other changes.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the
answer." -Douglas Adams
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-10 10:01:33 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Post by Sorin Srbu
Post by Tim Musson
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0 -p blat -debug
and the batch file I used was the message body (the first %0) and also
a correctly named and readable text attachment (the second %0).
Do you have another mail reader you could try?
Could try Eudora. BRB.
SS> This is weird... Using Eudora v6.2.1.4 in sponsored mode, I don't
SS> get any attachment at all, only the correct subject line and the
SS> short body text.
SS> Rechecking PMMail, I get the attachment, but with the "unnamed..."
SS> attachment name.
Lets simplify a bit.
Try creating a new batch file and putting just this in it.
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0
The "-to myself" is a keyword that says "hey, lets use the -f parm for
-t also!". If you need the path for Blat, add it, but let's not make
other changes.
Sorry it took so long, I had a server bios flashing scheduled this
morning. Anyway, I've tried the "myself" command above as
suggested. Blat now says that it was confused by the "-to myself"
and did not understand the argument "testing".

Did I misunderstand your

blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0

or is there something more esoteric going on here?

BW,

Sorin
Post by Tim Musson
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: magnetic interference from money/credit cards
L.Willms
2005-02-09 16:16:08 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
In my mailer the attachment turns up with the file name "Unnamed
attchment 1.att".
Not sure whether this is a blatproblem or receiving mailer-problem?
Both
Post by Sorin Srbu
The blat-version I'm using is the win32-type v2.4, under win2k sp4.
On the recieving end, there's a winxp sp2 and the mailer is PMMail
for win Pro v2.20.2717.
You could teach your system to open those attachments with the Editor.

Call the Windows Explorer, search the PMMail installation directory,
and then the TEMP subdirectory. There you will find your ".ATT" file.
Double click the file, and you will get a dialogue where you can tell
the system by which program you want to open that file. I suggest you
chose the "Editor", and enable the option that this should be used for
all files with that extension.

After that, when looking at the attachment in PMMail, the OPEN will
use the Editor to open the file.

But please take a look at the message file itself and find out the
MIME headers in there, and let us know.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
ykai
2005-02-09 17:39:45 UTC
Wow, 5 replies already so far to your post Sorin.

I wonder if that -attacht should ever be remedied, because we would
loose so much traffic on the list in that case. ;-)
Post by Sorin Srbu
The commandline I use from within a batch-file is
"c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
"c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime
For a solution to your problem: use -attach (instead of -attacht).

For details about problems with -attacht, and the underlying
causes, see past posts of myself.
L.Willms
2005-02-09 18:09:16 UTC
Post by ykai
Wow, 5 replies already so far to your post Sorin.
I wonder if that -attacht should ever be remedied, because we would
loose so much traffic on the list in that case. ;-)
The problem reported is at least to a large extent a problem of
PMMail, which Sorin Srbu is using (as I do myself), whose MIME handling
would need an upgrade, so to say.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-10 10:08:39 UTC
Post by ykai
Wow, 5 replies already so far to your post Sorin.
This is a low-volume list?
Post by ykai
I wonder if that -attacht should ever be remedied, because we would
loose so much traffic on the list in that case. ;-)
<wide grin> Glad to help. 8-)
Post by ykai
Post by Sorin Srbu
The commandline I use from within a batch-file is
"c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
"c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime
For a solution to your problem: use -attach (instead of -attacht).
I think I tried this already, but will try again. I'll be back with
more info in a little while.
Post by ykai
For details about problems with -attacht, and the underlying
causes, see past posts of myself.
Ah, there's been more problems with the attach function then.

Searching...

BW,

Sorin
Post by ykai
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: system consumed all the paper for paging
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-10 11:19:55 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
The commandline I use from within a batch-file is
"c:\program files\tools\blat" "c:\program files\tools\blat.txt" -to
"c:\program files\tools\backup.txt" -8bitmime
For a solution to your problem: use -attach (instead of -attacht).
For details about problems with -attacht, and the underlying
causes, see past posts of myself.
WTF?!! (Sorry...) Now it worked with the "-attach" (not -attacht)
argument. Weird, I tried this yesterday evening, and then it didn't
work at all! The attachment is now being received as it was
intended to be, with the correct name and all.

Thx for the help ppl!

BW,

Sorin
Post by ykai
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: Rhythmic variations in the voltage reaching the power supply.
namtog
2005-02-10 13:56:41 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
WTF?!! (Sorry...) Now it worked with the "-attach" (not -attacht)
argument. Weird, I tried this yesterday evening, and then it didn't
work at all! The attachment is now being received as it was
intended to be, with the correct name and all.
I wish this was weird. I had one app that Yahoo claimed was sending
spam while I was testing it. Got so frustrated I simply gave up on
it for about a week. Didn't touch it or Blat. Had a little free time
and tried it again, it's been working perfectly, no spam flag, till
this very day.

I suspect we all have had email's go to the place they are never
heard from again. As handy as email is it still has problems.

At times it's just plain flaky.

Before anyone else mentions it there are times I am the flaky part
of the equation, but not every time.

Namtog
2005-02-10 02:21:04 UTC
Post by L.Willms
Post by ykai
Wow, 5 replies already so far to your post Sorin.
I wonder if that -attacht should ever be remedied, because we would
loose so much traffic on the list in that case. ;-)
The problem reported is at least to a large extent a problem of
PMMail, which Sorin Srbu is using (as I do myself), whose MIME handling
would need an upgrade, so to say.
Yours,
Lüko Willms
If Blat said the attachment is "ATTACHMENT" instead of "INLINE," would this
let your PMMail recognise the text when it is not base64 encoded? I can
send you a test message to see if this works, if you want.

Sorin Srbu
2005-02-10 10:06:41 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
The blat-version I'm using is the win32-type v2.4, under win2k sp4.
On the recieving end, there's a winxp sp2 and the mailer is PMMail
for win Pro v2.20.2717.
You could teach your system to open those attachments with the Editor.
Call the Windows Explorer, search the PMMail installation directory,
and then the TEMP subdirectory. There you will find your ".ATT" file.
Double click the file, and you will get a dialogue where you can tell
the system by which program you want to open that file. I suggest you
chose the "Editor", and enable the option that this should be used for
all files with that extension.
After that, when looking at the attachment in PMMail, the OPEN will
use the Editor to open the file.
Already done that.
Post by L.Willms
But please take a look at the message file itself and find out the
MIME headers in there, and let us know.
Below is the header from the last mail opened with Pmmail (PMM) and
with the "unnamed attachment"-thingie. Some addresses and IPs have
been obfuscated. The info below is all the mimes I found in the
file. I hope it's enough for you experts to figure something smart.
8-)

TIA.

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:31:04 +0100
From: ***@x.y.z
To: ***@x.y.z
Subject: Raider backup log
---

BW,

Sorin
Post by L.Willms
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: Route flapping at the NAP.
L.Willms
2005-02-10 12:56:30 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
---
BW,
Sorin
I don't see an attachment here. There is a "multipart/mixed" for the
whole message, but one sees only the MIME-headers for the message as
such or for the very first part, not for the attachment.

You should search for the string declared as the boundary as in
Post by Sorin Srbu
boundary="=_BlatBoundary-ZXcAdM5LLvzk8VDww9EKq"
to find the message parts.

As I wrote in another message, PMMail has difficulties with multipart
messages and does not show everything correctly. That part of the code
would really need a big overhaul.
Post by Sorin Srbu
WTF?!! (Sorry...) Now it worked with the "-attach" (not -attacht)
argument. Weird, I tried this yesterday evening, and then it didn't
work at all! The attachment is now being received as it was
intended to be, with the correct name and all.
Anyway, I've tried the "myself" command above as
suggested. Blat now says that it was confused by the "-to myself"
and did not understand the argument "testing".
Did I misunderstand your
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0
which leads me to the suspicion that there might be another, earlier,
copy of BLAT on the system. "-to myself" is only support from 2.40 on.

I also find it strange that you give the same parameter (%0) for both
the body and the text attachment. Is that in a BATch file? As far as I
can see, the parameters number from %1 on.
Post by Sorin Srbu
Hey, weren't you on the Team OS/2 Mailing List a few years back?
No, we "met" on the PMMail mailing list.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
2005-02-11 01:21:38 UTC
Hey L.Willms,
Post by Tim Musson
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0
LW> I also find it strange that you give the same parameter (%0) for
LW> both the body and the text attachment. Is that in a BATch file? As
LW> far as I can see, the parameters number from %1 on.

That was a C/P from one of my earlier messages, and yes, it was
suppost to be in a batch file (I used t.bat). So the contents of the
batch was the message body, and the batch file was also attached.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Why get even, when you can get odd?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-10 11:24:33 UTC
Post by L.Willms
Post by ykai
Wow, 5 replies already so far to your post Sorin.
I wonder if that -attacht should ever be remedied, because we would
loose so much traffic on the list in that case. ;-)
The problem reported is at least to a large extent a problem of
PMMail, which Sorin Srbu is using (as I do myself), whose MIME handling
would need an upgrade, so to say.
Hey, weren't you on the Team OS/2 Mailing List a few years back?

Sorry for the OT-post, but...

BW,

Sorin
Post by L.Willms
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: because of network lag due to too many people playing deathmatch
Sorin Srbu
2005-02-10 13:10:57 UTC
Post by Sorin Srbu
boundary="=_BlatBoundary-ZXcAdM5LLvzk8VDww9EKq"
to find the message parts.
As I wrote in another message, PMMail has difficulties with multipart
messages and does not show everything correctly. That part of the code
would really need a big overhaul.
Yupp, gotcha'. The problem is fixed though. FOr some reason the
-attach arg worked (it didn't before), while -attacht didn't.
Post by L.Willms
Post by Sorin Srbu
WTF?!! (Sorry...) Now it worked with the "-attach" (not -attacht)
argument. Weird, I tried this yesterday evening, and then it didn't
work at all! The attachment is now being received as it was
intended to be, with the correct name and all.
Anyway, I've tried the "myself" command above as
suggested. Blat now says that it was confused by the "-to myself"
and did not understand the argument "testing".
Did I misunderstand your
blat %0 -to myself -s testing -attacht %0
which leads me to the suspicion that there might be another, earlier,
copy of BLAT on the system. "-to myself" is only support from 2.40 on.
There isn't.
Post by L.Willms
I also find it strange that you give the same parameter (%0) for both
the body and the text attachment. Is that in a BATch file? As far as I
can see, the parameters number from %1 on.
Well, I copy and pasted from the mail with the original suggestion.
Post by L.Willms
Post by Sorin Srbu
Hey, weren't you on the Team OS/2 Mailing List a few years back?
No, we "met" on the PMMail mailing list.
Ah. Well, CYA around. And thx for the hints.

BW,

Sorin
Post by L.Willms
Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
Dept of Medicinal Chemistry, Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3 signals >> GSM
Div of Org Pharm Chem, Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
Box 574, Uppsala University, Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
Public PGP key available on request.
() ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
/\
BOFH excuse follows: poor power conditioning