Problems sending email via GMail SMTP servers
c***@att.net
2004-11-26 20:48:05 UTC
When you post to the list, please include (if applicable);
The version of Blat you are using,
blat -v
Blat v2.2.2 (build : Feb 26 2004 10:36:38)
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
No3gl0ves
The output of the -debug command.
Blat v2.2.2 (build : Feb 26 2004 10:36:38)
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054
Subject: Test BLAT - gmail
Try number 1 of 3.
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
putline>>> EHLO FISHBURN-T30
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054
Error: Error sending data.
Try number 2 of 3.
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
putline>>> EHLO FISHBURN-T30
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054
Error: Error sending data.
Try number 3 of 3.
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
putline>>> EHLO FISHBURN-T30
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054
Error: Error sending data.
This was originally sent the blat-owner.

fishburn_david
2004-11-26 19:29:08 UTC
I just installed Blat and this is the first time I have used it.
I can send email via my work account, but I also wanted it to work via
GMail.
I believe the problem is related to the fact that you must use
STARTTLS when sending messages.

Here is the configuration information on the GMail website for
POP/SMTP access:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server – requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use
authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

I didn't see any options in Blat to use STARTTLS (or SSL).
When you post to the list, please include (if applicable);
The version of Blat you are using,
blat -v
Blat v2.2.2 (build : Feb 26 2004 10:36:38)
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
Install default profile
blat.exe -install smtp.gmail.com ***@gmail.com 3 465 - myaccount
mypassword
The output of the -debug command.
Blat v2.2.2 (build : Feb 26 2004 10:36:38)

connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10054 Sending
source.txt to ***@me.com
Login name is ***@gmail.com
[...]

TIA for any help.

Dave

c***@att.net
2004-11-26 20:50:31 UTC
Post by fishburn_david
[...]
Use stunnel from stunnel.org to make the STARTTLS session. I use it at home for my connection to AAT&T and Blat works. This way we do not need to reinvent SSL for Blat.

Doug Jenkins
2004-11-28 20:46:10 UTC
I just started getting emails returned to me from AOL with a Error 554,
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554ispb2.html.
This states that my email rate is too high for their liking. They must have
just make some changes as this has been working in the past.

I am sending my emails one at a time using a For loop to process a file
containing my email addresses (I implemented this prior to maxnames being
implemented).
Since I am sending one at a time, can I still use -delay?
I am thinking of something like "-delay 2 -maxnames 1" or "-delay
2 -maxnames 2", to get blat to add a 2 second delay after each message.

My For statement is as follows. The variables are set earlierbut this still
shows how I am doing things:
FOR /F "eol=* delims=/" %%i in (%blataddresslist%) do %blatpath%blat
%blatmessage% -to %%i -sf %blatsubject% -f %blatfrom% -of %blatoptions%
%blatsig% %blatlog% %blatdebug% >> %blatlogfile%

Cheers,
Doug

2004-11-29 02:47:09 UTC
Post by Doug Jenkins
[...]
Sending one message at a time means you cannot use -delay in your for loop.
On the other hand, you can send your message to yourself, bcc the rest, and
then use the -delay and -maxnames options.

If you want to continue using your for loop, have it CALL a batch file that
itself launches blat. In this called batch file, you can have it run a
delay program before running blat. For example:

Batch file #1 -

FOR /F "eol=* delims=/" %%i in (%blataddresslist%) do call runblat.bat %%i

======

Batch file #2

rem find a program like delay.exe or sleep.exe
delay 5
blatpath%blat %blatmessage% -to %1 -sf %blatsubject% -f %blatfrom%
-of %blatoptions% %blatsig% %blatlog% %blatdebug% >> %blatlogfile%

======

I split the Blat command line for this mailing list, you will need to make
it into one line to work.

Doug Jenkins
2004-11-30 01:24:46 UTC
Thanks, Chip. I suspected as much. I was hoping I would run across a 'feature'... :)

I like the one-at-a-time approach as I found my id was getting onto some spam lists, maybe because of the 'large' number of bcc's, and sending one at a time would make the emails appear to be more personal.

I have been thinking of doing as you suggested with the called bat file, but couldn't remember if the variables that were set in the first would be available to the second, so I never got around to it.....

To clarify the use of maxnames, my address list is pointed to by the -bf variable, and then maxnames creates a smaller bcc in the sent message, sending until the list of addresses is exhausted...

Cheers,
Doug
[...]

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com