Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.
sushesh
2003-01-14 16:18:57 UTC
Hi ,
I am configuring bugzilla to use blat to send out
email .
When i try to send out a mail using blat i get an
error:
"Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a
socket."
I use the following lines in the processmail.pl

open(SENDMAIL,">>e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\mail")||
die "Can't open sendmail";
print SENDMAIL trim($msg) . "\n";
close SENDMAIL;
system ('blat.exe e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\mail -to
$person -server <smtp-server> -noh2 -debug -u
<username> -pw <passwd> -f ***@domain.com -log
e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog');

But when i try the line :
system ('blat.exe e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\mail -to
$person -server <smtp-server> -noh2 -debug -u
<username> -pw <passwd> -f ***@domain.com -log
e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog');
from a dos window, the mail goes through.

I have been stuck with this for some time and i would
appreciate if anyone out there can give me some input
as to where i am going wrong.

thanks,
Sushesh

Turn flat surfaces into speakers with the Soundbug.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWAVSC/onCFAA/xGHJAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-01-14 17:21:02 UTC
Hey sushesh,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 at 11:18:57 AM.

ssyc> But when i try the line :

ssyc> system ('blat.exe e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\mail -to $person
ssyc> -server <smtp-server> -noh2 -debug -u <username> -pw <passwd> -f
ssyc> ***@domain.com -log e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog');

ssyc> from a dos window, the mail goes through.

How are you doing this? are you populating the variables manually, or
pulling a bit of the perl code out and running it that way?

Have you verified that your perl variables have good values in them
when it tries to call Blat?

Can you show me the output of the -debug -log switches? PM if you
wish.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62 Christmas Edition
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
According to my dogs, the devil is alive and well and living in my vacuum cleaner.
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/

sushesh
2003-01-16 04:13:52 UTC
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the reply. As you can see, the only thing that only
difference between the blat statment in the script and when i run it
from the command line is the "to" address, in the script it is picked
up from the $person variable, and from the command line i specify
the "to" email id .

Now i can see that correct variables are passed to the blat statement
because,the file "mail" has the correct varibles.. This is the output
from the file "mail".
***************************
From: bugzilla-daemon
To: ***@domain.com
Subject: Bugzilla Change Password Request

You or someone impersonating you has requested to change your Bugzilla
password. To change your password, visit the following link:

http://192.10.10.10/token.cgi?a=cfmpw&t=Ahhu5%40Du

If you are not the person who made this request, or you wish to cancel
this request, visit the following link:

http://192.10.10.10/token.cgi?a=cxlpw&t=Ahhu5%40Du

Now the maillog file has the following:
Sending E:\bugzilla\Sendmail\mail to $person
Login name is ***@edstechnologies.com
Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.
******************************
But in the log file i see that $person has not been passed on the
correct variable.
Do you think the error msg that is displayed is releated to this ?

Looking forward to your reply /inputs.

2003-01-16 12:35:08 UTC
Hey sushesh,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 at 11:13:52 PM.

ssyc> Hi Tim, Thanks for the reply. As you can see, the only thing
ssyc> that only difference between the blat statment in the script
ssyc> and when i run it from the command line is the "to" address, in
ssyc> the script it is picked up from the $person variable, and from
ssyc> the command line i specify the "to" email id .

ssyc> Now i can see that correct variables are passed to the blat statement
ssyc> because,the file "mail" has the correct varibles..

Just because the file "mail" has the correct value for the variables,
does not mean that the Blat line is getting em. Looking back at your
first mesg, the "mail" file is created from the $msg var. What is $msg
created from (is $person part of the creation? is $person a var that
is created localy inside a subroutine? if so, it will not remain
outside...)

ssyc> This is the output
ssyc> from the file "mail".
ssyc> ***************************
ssyc> From: bugzilla-daemon
ssyc> To: ***@domain.com
ssyc> Subject: Bugzilla Change Password Request

ssyc> You or someone impersonating you has requested to change your Bugzilla
ssyc> password. To change your password, visit the following link:

ssyc> http://192.10.10.10/token.cgi?a=cfmpw&t=Ahhu5%40Du

ssyc> If you are not the person who made this request, or you wish to cancel
ssyc> this request, visit the following link:

ssyc> http://192.10.10.10/token.cgi?a=cxlpw&t=Ahhu5%40Du
ssyc> *******************************************************

ssyc> Now the maillog file has the following:
ssyc> ********************************************************
ssyc> Sending E:\bugzilla\Sendmail\mail to $person
ssyc> Login name is ***@edstechnologies.com
ssyc> Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.

This Error: line is a problem. Even if you are getting the $person var
passed correctly to Blat, you will not be able to send mail until this
is resolved. Can you send the entire output ('e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog')
of one message attempt? If you change anything, please let me know
what it was you changed...

ssyc> ******************************
ssyc> But in the log file i see that $person has not been passed on the
ssyc> correct variable.
ssyc> Do you think the error msg that is displayed is releated to this ?
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62 Christmas Edition
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
Don't get old, you will live to regret it.
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/

Flexible Keyboard is the ideal accessory for PDA users that are on the move.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dCBVZC/WnCFAA/xGHJAA/dkFolB/TM
sushesh
2003-01-20 10:35:27 UTC
Hi Tim,
Thanks for pointing out that this could be a problem with the perl
file passing on the variable correct values..
I am new to perl / blat ..and i was wondering if i can get any
input /pointers as to how i can get this working..
I have attached the output of the log file , the mail file that is
generated from the file token.pm that is supposed to call blat.. and
the file itself..

Looking forward to some valuable inputs ..

Thanks,
Sushesh
Output of log file:
*******************
Sending E:\bugzilla\Sendmail\mail to $emailaddress
Login name is ***@e...
Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.

Output of mail file
*********************
From: bugzilla-daemon
To: ***@d...

You or someone impersonating you has requested to change your Bugzilla
password. To change your password, visit the following link:
http://192.10.10.10/token.cgi?a=cfmpw&t=Ahhu5%40Du
If you are not the person who made this request, or you wish to cancel
this request, visit the following link:
http://192.10.10.10/token.cgi?a=cxlpw&t=Ahhu5%40Du

The file Token.pm which calls blat
#!/usr/bonsaitools/bin/perl -w
# -*- Mode: perl; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
#
# The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public
# License Version 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file
# except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of
# the License at http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/
#
# Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS
# IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or
# implied. See the License for the specific language governing
# rights and limitations under the License.
#
# The Original Code is the Bugzilla Bug Tracking System.
#
# The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Netscape
Communications
# Corporation. Portions created by Netscape are
# Copyright (C) 1998 Netscape Communications Corporation. All
# Rights Reserved.
#
# Contributor(s): Myk Melez <***@mozilla.org>

##########
# Module Initialization
##########

# Make it harder for us to do dangerous things in Perl.
use diagnostics;
use strict;

# Bundle the functions in this file together into the "Token" package.
package Token;

# This module requires that its caller have said "require CGI.pl" to
import
# relevant functions from that script and its companion globals.pl.

##########
# Functions
##########

sub IssuePasswordToken {
# Generates a random token, adds it to the tokens table, and
sends it
# to the user with instructions for using it to change their
password.

my ($loginname) = @_;

# Retrieve the user's ID from the database.
my $quotedloginname = &::SqlQuote($loginname);
&::SendSQL("SELECT userid FROM profiles WHERE login_name =
$quotedloginname");
my ($userid) = &::FetchSQLData();

# Generate a unique token and insert it into the tokens table.
# We have to lock the tokens table before generating the token,
# since the database must be queried for token uniqueness.
&::SendSQL("LOCK TABLES tokens WRITE");
my $token = GenerateUniqueToken();
my $quotedtoken = &::SqlQuote($token);
my $quotedipaddr = &::SqlQuote($::ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'});
&::SendSQL("INSERT INTO tokens ( userid , issuedate , token ,
tokentype , eventdata )
VALUES ( $userid , NOW() ,
$quotedtoken , 'password' , $quotedipaddr )");
&::SendSQL("UNLOCK TABLES");

# Mail the user the token along with instructions for using it.
MailPasswordToken($loginname, $token);

}

sub GenerateUniqueToken {
# Generates a unique random token. Uses &GenerateRandomPassword
# for the tokens themselves and checks uniqueness by searching for
# the token in the "tokens" table. Gives up if it can't come up
# with a token after about one hundred tries.

my $token;
my $duplicate = 1;
my $tries = 0;
while ($duplicate) {

++$tries;
if ($tries > 100) {
&::DisplayError("Something is seriously wrong with the
token generation system.");
exit;
}

$token = &::GenerateRandomPassword();
&::SendSQL("SELECT userid FROM tokens WHERE token = " .
&::SqlQuote($token));
$duplicate = &::FetchSQLData();
}

return $token;

}

sub MailPasswordToken {
# Emails a password token to a user along with instructions for
its use.
# Called exclusively from &IssuePasswordToken.

my ($emailaddress, $token) = @_;

my $urlbase = &::Param("urlbase");
my $emailsuffix = &::Param('emailsuffix');
$token = &::url_quote($token);

#open SENDMAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail -t";
open (SENDMAIL,">>E:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\mail") ||
die "Can't open sendmail";

print SENDMAIL qq|From: bugzilla-daemon
To: $emailaddress

You or someone impersonating you has requested to change your Bugzilla
password. To change your password, visit the following link:

${urlbase}token.cgi?a=cfmpw&t=$token

If you are not the person who made this request, or you wish to cancel
this request, visit the following link:

${urlbase}token.cgi?a=cxlpw&t=$token
|;
close SENDMAIL;
system ('blat.exe E:\\bugzilla\\Sendmail\\mail -
to "$emailaddress" -server domain.com -noh2 -debug -f
***@domain.com -u bugzilla -pw bugzilla -log
e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog');
}
sub Cancel {
# Cancels a previously issued token and notifies the system
administrator.
# This should only happen when the user accidentally makes a
token request
# or when a malicious hacker makes a token request on behalf of a
user.

my ($token, $cancelaction) = @_;

# Quote the token for inclusion in SQL statements.
my $quotedtoken = &::SqlQuote($token);

# Get information about the token being cancelled.
&::SendSQL("SELECT issuedate , tokentype , eventdata ,
login_name , realname
FROM tokens, profiles
WHERE tokens.userid = profiles.userid
AND token = $quotedtoken");
my ($issuedate, $tokentype, $eventdata, $loginname, $realname) =
&::FetchSQLData();

# Get the email address of the Bugzilla maintainer.
my $maintainer = &::Param('maintainer');

# Format the user's real name and email address into a single
string.
my $username = $realname ? $realname . " <" . $loginname . ">" :
$loginname;

# Notify the user via email about the cancellation.
open SENDMAIL, "|/usr/lib/sendmail -t";
print SENDMAIL qq|From: bugzilla-daemon
To: $username
Subject: "$tokentype" token cancelled

A token was cancelled from $::ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}. This is either
an honest mistake or the result of a malicious hack attempt.
Take a look at the information below and forward this email
to $maintainer if you suspect foul play.

Token: $token
Token Type: $tokentype
User: $username
Issue Date: $issuedate
Event Data: $eventdata

Cancelled Because: $cancelaction
|;
close SENDMAIL;

# Delete the token from the database.
&::SendSQL("LOCK TABLES tokens WRITE");
&::SendSQL("DELETE FROM tokens WHERE token = $quotedtoken");
&::SendSQL("UNLOCK TABLES");
}

sub HasPasswordToken {
# Returns a password token if the user has one. Otherwise
returns 0 (false).

my ($userid) = @_;

&::SendSQL("SELECT token FROM tokens WHERE userid = $userid LIMIT
1");
my ($token) = &::FetchSQLData();

return $token;
}

1;
***********************************

2003-01-20 16:52:08 UTC
Hey sushesh,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Monday, January 20, 2003 at 5:35:27 AM.

ssyc> Hi Tim, Thanks for pointing out that this could be a problem
ssyc> with the perl file passing on the variable correct values.. I
ssyc> am new to perl / blat ..and i was wondering if i can get any
ssyc> input /pointers as to how i can get this working.. I have
ssyc> attached the output of the log file , the mail file that is
ssyc> generated from the file token.pm that is supposed to call blat..
ssyc> and the file itself..

ssyc> Looking forward to some valuable inputs ..

Possibly valuable <g>, lets see.

I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the code, but I also can't
trace back to where the $emailaddress var is set (it is passed into
the perl module). I still think it would help if you were to pass the
entire Blat log file being created

Is this the Blat log? You don't say.. If so, it looks like it is
missing some lines.
ssyc> Output of log file:
ssyc> *******************
ssyc> Sending E:\bugzilla\Sendmail\mail to $emailaddress
ssyc> Login name is ***@e...
ssyc> Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.

ssyc> Output of mail file
I don't see a problem with that.

ssyc> The file Token.pm which calls blat
====8<---------------- snip

ssyc> system ('blat.exe E:\\bugzilla\\Sendmail\\mail
ssyc> -to "$emailaddress"
ssyc> -server domain.com
ssyc> -noh2
ssyc> -debug
ssyc> -f ***@domain.com
ssyc> -u bugzilla
ssyc> -pw bugzilla
ssyc> -log e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog
ssyc> ');

====8<---------------- snip

I don't see a problem with the above system call. You could put a line
to print the output of the $emailaddress var to the screen just before
the system call. That may help a bit.

,-----
| print $emailaddress;
`-----

That socket error does not sound good, but if you can send
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62 Christmas Edition
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
How do you get holy water?... Boil the hell out of it!
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/
sushesh
2003-01-21 07:27:38 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
[...]
This is the output of the log file.. and i don't get anything more in
this file
Post by Tim Musson
ssyc> *******************
ssyc> Sending E:\bugzilla\Sendmail\mail to $emailaddress
ssyc> Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.
ssyc> Output of mail file
I don't see a problem with that.
ssyc> The file Token.pm which calls blat
====8<---------------- snip
ssyc> system ('blat.exe E:\\bugzilla\\Sendmail\\mail
ssyc> -to "$emailaddress"
ssyc> -server domain.com
ssyc> -noh2
ssyc> -debug
ssyc> -u bugzilla
ssyc> -pw bugzilla
ssyc> -log e:\\bugzilla\\sendmail\\log\\maillog
ssyc> ');
====8<---------------- snip
I don't see a problem with the above system call. You could put a line
to print the output of the $emailaddress var to the screen just before
the system call. That may help a bit.
,-----
| print $emailaddress;
`-----
I was not able to get the print of output of the $emailaddress var
but i did the following :
I changed the "$emailaddress in the above system call to a valid
email id ***@domain.com and i ran the script and i got the same
error in the log file..
Tim Musson
2003-01-21 14:01:34 UTC
Hey sushesh,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at 2:27:38 AM.
Post by Tim Musson
Is this the Blat log? You don't say.. If so, it looks like it is
missing some lines.
ssyc> *******************
ssyc> Sending E:\bugzilla\Sendmail\mail to $emailaddress
ssyc> Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.
ssyc> This is the output of the log file.. and i don't get anything
ssyc> more in this file

Ah, sorry, I was going from memory. I did a test with nothing but the
following in the perl file.

,----- [ ]
| #!perl
| use strict;
| use warnings;
|
| my $emailaddress="tim\@MyDomain.tld";
| my $SMTPserver="smtp.MyDomain.tld";
|
| system ("blat.exe b.pl
| -to $emailaddress
| -f $emailaddress
| -server $SMTPserver
| -debug");
`-----

This code works just find if smtp.MyDomain.tld is listening/responding
on port 25 (smtp). However, if I changed the $SMTPserver var to a
host that does not have an SMTP server on it, then I get the same log
output you do.

ssyc> I was not able to get the print of output of the $emailaddress
ssyc> var but i did the following :
ssyc> I changed the "$emailaddress in the above system call to a valid
ssyc> email id ***@domain.com and i ran the script and i got the
ssyc> same error in the log file..

Yes, I don't think it is the $emailaddress var any more. It is the
-server value. A quick way to test is to use telnet, check out how on
my FAQ
(http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/#how%20do%20i%20verify%20the%20smtp%20server%20is%20working%20correctly )
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62 Christmas Edition
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
Hang up and drive.

Sushesh Mallya
2003-01-22 05:01:29 UTC
Hi Tim,
Hey sushesh,
My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Tuesday, January 21, 2003
at 2:27:38 AM.

`-----
This code works just find if smtp.MyDomain.tld is
listening/responding
on port 25 (smtp). However, if I changed the
$SMTPserver var to a
host that does not have an SMTP server on it, then I
get the same log
output you do.
Tim,I don't think this is a problem with the smtp
server because if i use the same line(that i use in
the script)from the command line it works fine..
Post by Tim Musson
ssyc> I was not able to get the print of output of
the $emailaddress
ssyc> I changed the "$emailaddress in the above
system call to a valid
script and i got the
ssyc> same error in the log file..
Yes, I don't think it is the $emailaddress var any
more. It is the
-server value. A quick way to test is to use
telnet, check out how on
my FAQ
(http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/#how%20do%20i%20verify%20the%20smtp%20server%20is%20working%20correctly
Post by Tim Musson
)
As i have mentioned i don't think this is a problem
with the server..
I did the test and got the expected reply..

Sushesh
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

2003-01-22 12:53:15 UTC
Hey Sushesh,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 at 12:01:29 AM.
Post by Tim Musson
ssyc> Error: Mail server refused connection.Error: Not a socket.
SM> Tim, I don't think this is a problem with the smtp server because
SM> if i use the same line(that i use in the script)from the command
SM> line it works fine..
I don't think it is the $emailaddress var any more. It is the
-server value. A quick way to test is to use telnet, check out how
on my FAQ
SM> As i have mentioned i don't think this is a problem with the
SM> server..
SM> I did the test and got the expected reply..

Ok, *however*, the error message Blat is giving you says "I can't
connect to TCP port 25 on the Server you specified". Port 25 is the
port that SMTP server software listens to and Blat tries to connect
to.

btw, a socket is nothing more than an IP Address (resolved from a
hostname if needed) followed by a TCP/IP port number and delimited by
a : - for example 10.11.12.13:25 would be the SMTP socket on a server
that has a SMTP service active.

One thing you may want to try is putting an IP address in instead of a
server name. Maybe there is some problem with DNS resolution when
running in the Perl code.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62 Christmas Edition
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
My software never has bugs; it just develops random features.
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/
Sushesh Mallya
2003-01-23 13:21:14 UTC
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Musson
-server value. A quick way to test is to use
telnet, check out how
Post by Tim Musson
on my FAQ
SM> As i have mentioned i don't think this is a
problem with the
SM> server..
SM> I did the test and got the expected reply..
Ok, *however*, the error message Blat is giving you
says "I can't
connect to TCP port 25 on the Server you specified".
Port 25 is the
port that SMTP server software listens to and Blat
tries to connect
to.
btw, a socket is nothing more than an IP Address
(resolved from a
hostname if needed) followed by a TCP/IP port number
and delimited by
a : - for example 10.11.12.13:25 would be the SMTP
socket on a server
that has a SMTP service active.
One thing you may want to try is putting an IP
address in instead of a
server name. Maybe there is some problem with DNS
resolution when
running in the Perl code.
I did try this but it does not work..
http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Tim Musson
2003-01-23 15:24:16 UTC
Hey Sushesh,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 8:21:14 AM.
Post by Tim Musson
One thing you may want to try is putting an IP address in instead
of a server name. Maybe there is some problem with DNS resolution
when running in the Perl code.
SM> I did try this but it does not work..

I still think it is a problem connecting to the servers SMTP service,
but I am out of ideas on what to try next.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62 Christmas Edition
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
"Buffet". A French word that means "Get up & get it yourself!"
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/