using blat with yahoo smtp server
mikesdocuments
2010-07-16 17:17:15 UTC
Hello, new to blat.exe. I loaded blat262 and am trying to get it to work using the yahoo smtp server using my 'plus' yahoo account which should allow me to access it. I did search this yahoo group for examples of using blat with the yahoo smtp server with little luck. Examples in the blat doc mostly refer to localhost for the smtp server so I wonder if anyone has successfully got blat to work with the yahoo smtp server and if so could you let me know where I have made the error.
Thanks, Mike

I ran the install and this is what is in the registry under Blat

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Public Domain\Blat
Default REG_SZ (value not set)
Login REG_SZ ***** <- encrypted username
Pwd REG_SZ ***** <- encrypted password
Sender REG_SZ ***@yahoo.com
SMTP Port REG_SZ 465
SMTP Server REG_SZ plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Try REG_SZ 3

I create file f1 with contents 'testing' <- I.E. 7 characters

C:\Program Files\blat262\full>dir
Volume in drive C is OS_1
Volume Serial Number is 34F1-55DE

Directory of C:\Program Files\blat262\full

07/16/2010 07:51 AM <DIR> .
07/16/2010 07:51 AM <DIR> ..
02/25/2007 12:06 PM 122,880 blat.dll
02/25/2007 12:06 PM 115,200 blat.exe
02/25/2007 12:06 PM 2,174 blat.lib
07/16/2010 09:15 AM 7 f1
4 File(s) 240,261 bytes
2 Dir(s) 3,797,389,312 bytes free

C:\Program Files\blat262\full>
C:\Program Files\blat262\full>blat f1 -to ***@yahoo.com
Blat v2.6.2 w/GSS encryption (build : Feb 25 2007 12:06:19)

Error: Connection to server was dropped.
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
SMTP server error
Error: Not a socket.
Error: Not a socket.

Thanks for your help.
dkronsta
2010-07-17 15:59:40 UTC
I assume you are able to use the yahoo smtp server in your mail client (outlook, thunderbird, etc). What exactly are the settings that you use there? I assume it's port 465, as you use here? What about security or encryption?

You may need to use stunnel - this provides an encrypted tunnel that some servers require. You run it on your PC, point IT at yahoo, and you point blat to stunnel, using localhost as the server address. You can search the archive here for more info. I played with it a little - let me know if you get stuck.

The other possibility is that yahoo requires a POP connection to establish that you have a valid account, and will THEN let you send via smtp. You should be able to use any pop3 client on the same PC to establish that connection - then yahoo will allow the same machine (even a different program) to send email.

Hope that helps
Dan
Thanks, Mike
Mike Bennett
2010-07-18 17:09:06 UTC
Hi Dan,
  Thanks for your timely response. Yes, I can get mail from the yahoo smtp server using other email clients. However somehow the direct approach using blat give problems. I have the same issue when I try to use the yahoo smtp server via perl and its many modules - the fact that yahoo uses a non-standard port may be the issue. I will have a look at stunnel when I have some time, however, I had some success with the google smtp service and I'll use that for the purposes of my project.
  Thank you again for your help. I'll keep an eye on developments with blat.
Mike.

2010-07-19 04:00:38 UTC
Post by Mike Bennett
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your timely response. Yes, I can get mail from the yahoo smtp
server using other email clients. However somehow the direct approach
using blat give problems. I have the same issue when I try to use the
yahoo smtp server via perl and its many modules - the fact that yahoo uses
a non-standard port may be the issue. I will have a look at stunnel when I
have some time, however, I had some success with the google smtp service
and I'll use that for the purposes of my project.
Thank you again for your help. I'll keep an eye on developments with blat.
Mike.
Port 465 requires the use of encryption, or better known as Secure Sockets
Layer (SSL). For this, you need a third part application such as STUNNEL.
Instructions for using STUNNEL can be found by searching the Yahoo group.

After downloading stunnel from http://www.stunnel.org, try adding these
lines to your stunnel.conf file:

; Use it for client mode
client = yes

; Service-level configuration

; Yahoo
[SMTP]
accept = 25
connect = plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465

--------------

After getting stunnel configured like above, change your Blat server to
127.0.0.1. This will cause Blat to connect to stunnel on port 25, which in
turn will cause stunnel to connect to Yahoo on port 465.

------------------------------------
Mike Bennett
2010-07-22 19:14:50 UTC
Thanks Chip. This is more of an stunnel issue I think. However, I loaded stunnel and configured it as suggested, put debugging on but see this message.
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG7[2908:3208]: Service SMTP bound to 0.0.0.0:25
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG7[2908:3208]: Service SMTP opened FD=1872
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG5[2908:3208]: stunnel 4.33 on x86-pc-mingw32-gnu with OpenSSL 1.0.0 29 Mar 2010
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG5[2908:3208]: Threading:WIN32 SSL:ENGINE Sockets:SELECT,IPv6

This is before running any blat instance - is the SMTP bound to 0.0.0.0:25 right? Seems unlikely.

I tried setting up protocolPassword and protocolUsername options to no avail.

Will look more closely at stunnel docs when I have time.
Mike.
Subject: Re: [blat] Re: using blat with yahoo smtp server
2010-07-26 01:59:12 UTC
Thanks Chip. This is more of an stunnel issue I think. However, I loaded
stunnel and configured it as suggested, put debugging on but see this
message.
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG7[2908:3208]: Service SMTP bound to 0.0.0.0:25
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG7[2908:3208]: Service SMTP opened FD=1872
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG5[2908:3208]: stunnel 4.33 on x86-pc-mingw32-gnu with
OpenSSL 1.0.0 29 Mar 2010
2010.07.22 11:53:06 LOG5[2908:3208]: Threading:WIN32 SSL:ENGINE
Sockets:SELECT,IPv6

This is before running any blat instance - is the SMTP bound to 0.0.0.0:25
right? Seems unlikely.

I tried setting up protocolPassword and protocolUsername options to no
avail.

Will look more closely at stunnel docs when I have time.
Mike.

----

I think those stunnel log messages are fine. In my stunnel configuration, I
see no place to tell it what IP address to use, so I believe the 0.0.0.0
shown above is what it uses internally. I have two files, named dots and
dots1, both have this address listed as well as 127.0.0.1.
dkronsta
2010-07-26 13:11:12 UTC
Forgive me if I am telling you guys stuff you already know ...

127.0.0.1 is a network standard that means "this machine." 0.0.0.0 is often used by applications in the same way, but I am not sure that is universally acceptable.

And, Mike, you said "is the SMTP bound to 0.0.0.0:25 right? Seems unlikely." I am not sure exactly why you say it is unlikely - but applications can use any port they want - as long as the sender and received use the SAME port - and nothing else is using that port already, or at the same time. And even the use of the term SMTP in stunnel is just a name - the name of a portion of the config file, and a specification of what part of the config file to use at startup. You could just as easily call that section MIKE, as long as you specified the same name elsewhere. In other words, stunnel doesn't do anything special because it's SMTP.

The point about using an unused point could be part of your problem. Sometimes some other piece of software could be using a port you are not even aware of. Port 80 (http) is often used this way - an application may have a web interface open, even if you don't use it. I think there is a command to show who is listening on all ports - cannot think of it at the moment - but there are other ways to tell as well.

Again, if I am stating the obvious, I apologize.
Dan
ykai
2010-07-26 18:32:49 UTC
Post by dkronsta
I think there is a command to show who is
listening on all ports - cannot think of it at the moment
That would be netstat.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.exe

See "netstat -?" for several options to narrow or widen the amount
of
data shown.