Rookie Question
marksmithy69
2003-06-12 13:33:39 UTC
I am brand new to Blat, so forgive me if this is a trivial question.
I installed Blat on my NT system yesterday, but when I try and run a
Blat command in my application, I get an error. For example, if I
try and run Blat -subject This is a Test -to <email address> -f
<email address>, I get the error "-subject does not exist". If I
change the command around like Blat -to <email address> -f <email
address> -subject This is a Test, I get "-to does not exist. It
doesn't matter what order I put things in, I always get the same type
of error. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you very much.

Looking for the latest Free IT White Papers?
Visit SearchMobileComputing.com to access over 500 white papers.
Get instant access at SearchMobileComputing.com Today
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ZyjvfD/PLNGAA/uitMAA/dkFolB/TM
Richard Kann
2003-06-12 13:34:10 UTC
Try not putting spaces in your subject. It does not like that. I would
user This_is_a_test instead. I know it works on NT4, I've used it before.

Richard Kann
Post by marksmithy69
I am brand new to Blat, so forgive me if this is a trivial question.
I installed Blat on my NT system yesterday, but when I try and run a
Blat command in my application, I get an error. For example, if I
try and run Blat -subject This is a Test -to <email address> -f
<email address>, I get the error "-subject does not exist". If I
change the command around like Blat -to <email address> -f <email
address> -subject This is a Test, I get "-to does not exist. It
doesn't matter what order I put things in, I always get the same type
of error. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you very much.
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705007389:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=3170658>
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
.

Looking for the latest Free IT White Papers?
Visit SearchSecurity.com to access over 500 white papers.
Get instant access at SearchSecurity.com Today
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ayjvfD/QLNGAA/uitMAA/dkFolB/TM
Aycock.Bill
2003-06-12 13:38:27 UTC
you have to give it a file name to send. it is trying to use "-subject" as
the filename.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blat
Romson Christer
2003-06-12 13:41:01 UTC
Post by marksmithy69
I am brand new to Blat, so forgive me if this is a trivial question.
I run Blat -subject This is a Test -to <email address> -f
<email address>, I get the error "-subject does not exist".
What am I doing wrong?
What you did wrong is that you didn't read the help output that is
displayed when you run Blat without arguments carefully enough.
Post by marksmithy69
Blat <filename> -to <recipient> [optional switches (see below)]
The first argument ("-subject", in this case) is the path of the file that
contains the message body. For a test message you may want to use
-body instead:

Blat -body "test" -subject "Test" -to ***@domain.com -f ***@domain.com

Christer

Looking for the latest Free IT White Papers?
Visit SearchNetworking.com to access over 500 white papers.
Get instant access at SearchNetworking.com Today
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YyjvfD/OLNGAA/uitMAA/dkFolB/TM
Goldberg, Elie
2003-06-12 13:44:55 UTC
when I try

Blat -body "test" -subject "Test" -to ***@domain.com -f ***@domain.com
I get

-body does not exists

Post by marksmithy69
Blat <filename> -to <recipient> [optional switches (see below)]
The first argument ("-subject", in this case) is the path of the file that
contains the message body. For a test message you may want to use
-body instead:

Blat -body "test" -subject "Test" -to ***@domain.com -f ***@domain.com

Christer

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050073
89:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164
784&partid=3170658>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=610538828>
Chip
2003-06-12 13:51:26 UTC
Post by marksmithy69
when I try
I get
-body does not exists
Blat - -body "test" -subject "Test" -to ***@domain.com -f ***@domain.com

When specifying the -body option, use the hyphen as your first argument.

For Mark Smith,

Be sure to enclose your text arguments with quotation marks ("), otherwise
the command line parser will treat each word as a separate option. The
command line parser in the C library uses space characters as a delimiter
for each option.

To send a subject line that has spaces in it, use this example:

blat - -body "Test message" -subject "This has spaces" -to ***@domain.com

Romson Christer
2003-06-12 13:52:08 UTC
Post by marksmithy69
when I try
get
Post by marksmithy69
-body does not exists
I mistyped in my last message. That should be Blat - -body ...

Christer

marksmithy69
2003-06-12 14:28:30 UTC
Post by Romson Christer
Post by marksmithy69
when I try
get
Post by marksmithy69
-body does not exists
I mistyped in my last message. That should be Blat - -body ...
Christer
I changed my command to read: Blat - -body "This is the body" -
subject "This is a Test" -to <email address> -f <email address> and
it works perfectly. Thanks so much for all of your help.