how to send a different file every day ?
phouvenaghel
2005-09-30 09:11:56 UTC
i'm using backup exec. it create a file after every job with the
results.
I want to use blat.exe for sending this new file every day.

j'utilise backup exec. après chaque sauvegarde, il me crée un journal
avec un nom différent que j'aimerais envoyer avec blat.exe.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM

2005-09-30 12:51:30 UTC
Hey phouvenaghel,

On Friday, September 30, 2005 at 5:11:56 AM you wrote

p> i'm using backup exec. it create a file after every job with the
p> results.
p> I want to use blat.exe for sending this new file every day.

ok, will Backup Exec call an application when it completes? If so,
have it pass the filename to Blat. If not, you will have to use
something like a batch file that can figure out which file to send.

Can you provide more specifics? (I haven't used Backup Exec in over 10
years)

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM

HOUVENAGHEL Pascal
2005-09-30 13:20:17 UTC
Yes BackupExec can call a batch file file.

When the job is finished, it create a .xml file (for example BE000489.XML)

The problem is that the file name is always different

Is it possible to indicate to BLAT to take only the most recently file in the .xml file directory ?

________________________________

Rick Nakroshis
2005-09-30 13:43:43 UTC
>Yes BackupExec can call a batch file file.
>
>When the job is finished, it create a .xml file (for example BE000489.XML)
>
>The problem is that the file name is always different
>
>Is it possible to indicate to BLAT to take only the most recently
>file in the .xml file directory ?

What might be easier would be to move the XML file to a different
directory after Blat sends it. That way, as Backup Exec finishes,
the brand new result file will be the *only* XML file in that
directory, and then it simplifies things immensely.

Rick

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM

Hamilton, Robert L
2005-09-30 14:01:37 UTC
Or, overlay the old .xml with new each time. . .

bobh

David Austin
2005-09-30 21:06:23 UTC
Hi,

Doesn't Backup Exec let you configure sending the log file when it completes a job as one of its options? I'm using version 7.5 and it has an SMTP hook that simply emails the whole backup job report to me.

-dave

________________________________

HOUVENAGHEL Pascal
2005-10-03 06:06:47 UTC
Yes but i don't have any smtp server installed. For the servers who have Exchange server installed there is no problem. But on many sites I don't have Exchange.

________________________________

2005-10-03 11:22:33 UTC
Hey HOUVENAGHEL,

On Monday, October 3, 2005 at 2:06:47 AM you wrote

>> Doesn't Backup Exec let you configure sending the log file
>> when it completes a job as one of its options? I'm using version
>> 7.5 and it has an SMTP hook that simply emails the whole backup
>> job report to me.

HP> Yes but i don't have any smtp server installed. For the
HP> servers who have Exchange server installed there is no problem.
HP> But on many sites I don't have Exchange.

You will still need an SMTP server to use Blat. Blat is the sending
part of a mail client.

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue.

2005-10-04 13:15:48 UTC
Hey Tim,

On Monday, October 3, 2005 at 7:22:33 AM you wrote

>>> Doesn't Backup Exec let you configure sending the log file
>>> when it completes a job as one of its options? I'm using version
>>> 7.5 and it has an SMTP hook that simply emails the whole backup
>>> job report to me.

HP>> Yes but i don't have any smtp server installed. For the
HP>> servers who have Exchange server installed there is no problem.
HP>> But on many sites I don't have Exchange.

TM> You will still need an SMTP server to use Blat. Blat is the sending
TM> part of a mail client.

I am still curious about this one...

If you can't use the native Backup Exec mailing tool because you don't
have an SMTP server to point to, how are you going to use Blat?

One of the _required_ options you need to give Blat is what SMTP
server to connect to.

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Your mouse has moved. Windows must now reboot. Click OK to continue.

David Austin
2005-10-03 19:43:05 UTC
Got it. OK. BLAT it is.

Back to your problem then... How does the XML file get named? Is it based on date, time or a sequence number?

HOUVENAGHEL Pascal
2005-10-04 06:00:31 UTC
By default the filename is BEX0***.xml were *** is a sequence number

________________________________

2005-10-04 13:13:54 UTC
Hey HOUVENAGHEL,

On Tuesday, October 4, 2005 at 2:00:31 AM you wrote

HP> By default the filename is BEX0***.xml were *** is a sequence number

If Backup Exec is creating the file, can it pass the filename to Blat
or a batch file?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM

HOUVENAGHEL Pascal
2005-10-04 13:32:10 UTC
With BackupExec you have the possibility to execute a batch file at start or at the end of a job

________________________________

2005-10-04 14:48:01 UTC
Hey HOUVENAGHEL,

On Tuesday, October 4, 2005 at 9:32:10 AM you wrote

>> If Backup Exec is creating the file, can it pass the filename to
>> Blat or a batch file?

HP> With BackupExec you have the possibility to execute a batch file
HP> at start or at the end of a job

Ok, but can Backup Exec pass the filename to the Batch file?

For example, if BE creates BEX0035.xml, can it then run a batch file
like this:

SendMeTheXML.bat BEX0035.xml

(BE Runs the batch file and passes the xml file as a paramater to the
batch file)

Or is it possible that BE puts the current output filename in an
environment variable for the batch file to use?

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!

David Austin
2005-10-04 14:15:22 UTC
There may be a more elegant solution, but I am sending you,
directly to your email address, a ZIP file which contains
a batch file, a couple of small utility programs and the
text files which are output by the two programs. It should
be enough to accomplish your BLAT BackupExec jobs mailings.
The following documentation is also in the email:

====
ZIP file contents:

1. READJOB.bat the batch file that calls the programs chain
to create the filename output for the BLAT report.

2. DF.exe a compiled program that will output a sorted
directory file of the current directory contents,
sorted by date (ascending). This is a modified
PowerBasic freeware program that I removed lines
from which output text to the screen after the
program runs. This way no output would be sent to
the screen when the batch job runs. DF.exe outputs
a file named whatever is passed to it from a command
line parameter. HOWEVER, READ_DIR.exe is expecting to
find a file called DIRLIST.txt (see below) so you
should have the first line of your batch file be as
it is in READJOB.bat - DF.exe /d /r /wDIRLIST.txt+
The filename, DIRLIST.txt, is case sensitive. That
is to say that READ_DIR.exe wants to see it as is.

3. DIRLIST.txt The file that is output from DF.exe which is a sorted
(by date ascending) file and which contains the
filenames from whatever the current directory that
DF run from. Obviously this should go in the same
directory as your Backup Exec jobs.

4. READ_DIR.exe a small program I wrote to take the output from DF,
and parses it for the most recent dated program and
then sends that filename output to LASTFILE.txt

5. LASTFILE.txt The file that is output by READ_DIR.exe which contains
the latest file in the directory that DF is in. This
should have the latest Backup Exec job filename as its
contents assuming all progs are in the same directory.

I would assume that the last line that you would put in READJOB.bat would
be something like the one below here. This assumes that BLAT is already
installed and is in your path or in the subdirectory you are running
READJOB.bat from. As I said above, this line would replace the command
"TYPE LASTFILE.txt" in the READJOB.bat file. It is there for demonstration
purposes.

BLAT n:\the_directory_path\LASTFILE.txt -priority 1 -subject "BackupExec Job Report" -to ***@burotec.fr

I have tested this program in Window XP Pro environment and it has worked
fine, but have done no further testing. I do not forsee any problems running
it in a Win2K or 98 environment.

Hope this helps.

- Dave

David Austin
2005-10-05 12:13:34 UTC
Doesn't HOUVENAGHEL still have to deal with not knowing the name of the
job's XML report file?

2005-10-05 12:29:25 UTC
Hey David,

On Wednesday, October 5, 2005 at 8:13:34 AM you wrote

DA> Doesn't HOUVENAGHEL still have to deal with not knowing the name of the
DA> job's XML report file?

DA> "When the job is finished, it create a .xml file (for example
DA> BE000489.XML)

DA> The problem is that the file name is always different"

Yes, but in my experience when a program creates an output file, then
has the capability of calling a batch file to deal with it, then it
usually makes the current name available to the batch file in some
way. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the current BE, so am
fishing for how BE does it...

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere!

Tracey
2005-10-05 12:35:44 UTC
I am assuming this is a Windows/DOS environment and since I know very little
about writing batch files I can only suggest the brut force method.

#1 Create a directory/folder specifically used for sending reports and data
files as attachments.
#2 Before each use [move or delete] all files in the folder (from previous
use).
#3 Write what ever files you need send to that folder.
#4 Execute DIR drv\path\file.parameters > drv\path\file_list_to_send
/b (this make a list files in the directory and writes the list of files
to file_list_to_send in the drv\path directory/folder.
#5 Use file_list_to_send as a list of files to be sent as {an}
attachment(s).

I am sure there are other/better ways, but this WILL get the job done.
Tracey

2005-10-05 12:54:00 UTC
<Moderator>

First, Based on msg 7733, it will not matter if we find a batch file
solution for finding the most recent file because there is no SMTP
service for Blat to attach to!

Pascal, can you please clarify my point above?
Do you have an SMTP server you can point Blat to?

Second, this is not a Blat issue, but a Batch File issue, so doesn't
really belong on this list. (Kind of a grey area, and one of my
personal favorites to play with, so it happens here more than it
probably should. :-)

</Moderator>

T> I am sure there are other/better ways, but this WILL get the job done.

btw, here would be my solution that will work on anything w2k and
after. :)

dir /b /od | tail -n 1

dir /b outputs only the filename
/od lists the output in date order (most recent last)
tail -n 1 only lists the last line

I get tail.exe from a windows port of unix tools (not cygwin) at sourceforge.

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
What color is a chameleon on a mirror?

2005-10-05 12:42:03 UTC
Hey David,

On Wednesday, October 5, 2005 at 8:13:34 AM you wrote

DA> Doesn't HOUVENAGHEL still have to deal with not knowing the name of the
DA> job's XML report file?

Actually, the real question is how is Blat going to send when BE
can't.

As I recall in this thread. BE has a native eMail sending component,
and all you have to do is point it to an SMTP gateway (which isn't
available - msg # 7733 at YahooGroups).

Well, Blat will also need to be pointed to an SMTP gateway...

Sooooo, if there isn't an SMTP service for Blat to connect to... How
is any solution we come up with to send the most recent file going to
be useful?

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
What's brown and sticky? ... A stick!

HOUVENAGHEL Pascal
2005-10-05 12:54:34 UTC
The difficulty is that BackupExec has different version.

Ver 8.x create a .txt file for each job. But the most recent file in the job directory is an .dat file

Ver 9.x & 10.x create an .xml file. But the most recent file in the job directory is sometimes an .bak file

I found someone who can create a java program, using SNMP, for all my needs.

Thank you for your help

Pascal HOUVENAGHEL

Technicien Réseaux

BUROTEC SA

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM

David Austin
2005-10-05 13:18:49 UTC
Right, Tim. I guess we are talking about the current version of BE that
HOUVENAGHEL is using, yes?

I had been using BE 7.5 (after getting raped by Seagate on an "forced"
upgrade from 6 which suddenly just stopped working after it checked for
a virus update from them over the 'Net). Even at that version level
there were only about six events that could be used for notification.
Like Job Succeeded, Failed, Aborted, Retried, Use Multiple Tapes and
Disaster recovery complete. Don't recall any way to attach job details
reports to notifications, though. Only way to get job details was to
send email if a MAPI compliant email system was in place.

Pretty sure that backup job options didn't have execution of a program
at completion capability, either. Would bet that with all the money
they're charging for the program and all the other $weet add-on$, that
they'd put some of it back into R&D to allow greater reporting
flexibility in the latest and greatest version(s), right?

We stopped with version 7 as my organization is New York State funded
not-for-profit, and after 9/11 budget cuts (which were never fully
restored), we went to a file synchronization system between my main
server and a older backup server. With the cost of hard drives being
just a few pennies more than the cost of a handful of DAT tapes and all,
it made sense. Sorry Seagate (or Veritas, or who owns the product this
month?).

The file sync program, Super Flexible File Sync, cost $39, and hasn't
let us down for over a year and half now. I've needed to restore
individual files several times and simply plucking it from the backup
server is gobs easier than locating the right tape, loading it, finding
the job from the database, finding the file in the hierarchy, starting
the restoral job, etc. etc. etc. The file sync'er also supports multiple
versions, so the backup server has all previous iterations of the users'
documents, data files, etc. That's been useful, too. Hope I'm not
missing anything not using tape.

- Dave

David Austin
2005-10-05 14:48:35 UTC