Sending very slow
ima_itikarai@mineral.gov.pg [blat]
2017-09-13 06:30:21 UTC
Hi,

I have a MS-DOS batch script with BLAT commands in it to send an email with a jpg file (size 180kb) attachment. I have observed the following:

- Sending the email is slow. Takes a little more than 1 minute to a single recipient. Is it because the jpg file size is too big? What image file type (jpg, gif, png) is best to use here?

- When a recipient list filename is used, it takes even longer to send the email and the attachment to each.

- Emails to gmail accounts are not received straight away by a recipient after the emails are sent.

Am I doing something wrong, or how can this be resolved.

Thank you.

Ima Itikarai
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2017-09-14 03:12:40 UTC
Post by ***@mineral.gov.pg [blat]
Hi,
I have a MS-DOS batch script with BLAT commands in it to send an email
Sending the email is slow. Takes a little more than 1 minute to a single
recipient. Is it because the jpg file size is too big? What image file
type (jpg, gif, png) is best to use here?
When a recipient list filename is used, it takes even longer to send the
email and the attachment to each.
Emails to gmail accounts are not received straight away by a recipient
after the emails are sent.
Am I doing something wrong, or how can this be resolved.
Thank you.
Ima Itikarai
Ima,

The 180 KByte attachment size should not be a problem because most mail
servers now support messages well above 1 MByte, many servers support more
than 20 MB message sizes. Which image format to use may depend on what
image quality you want. Otherwise, it should not matter. Experiment with
the different formats, and look at both the quality of the original image
and file size.

Are you saying that it takes Blat itself more than a minute to send
messages? If this is the case, that is because the SMTP server is really
slow.

If you mean that it takes more than a minute from when an email is sent
until it is received by the recipient, that could be explained by a number
of reasons. One reason for slow delivery could be anti-virus scanners at
either or both servers, and/or at the client computer.

When sending to Gmail accounts, Google does additional processing on inbound
traffic that delays delivery.

If you are using a list of email addresses, and telling Blat to send emails
to each address one at a time, then that will take much longer than if you
could send an email to a group of email addresses at once.

I do not think you are doing anything wrong, it could be just how the mail
servers are configured that make it all seem slow.

Chip
ima_itikarai@mineral.gov.pg [blat]
2017-10-30 04:25:33 UTC
Chip,

I did further work and timing for sending of emails seem to have improved a lot.

Having achieved a good outcome on the above, my next task is to send a simple short text message like, “RSAM ALERT NOTIFICATION – Ulawun”, to a cell (mobile) phone number.

I read the blat commands but could not find one that does it. Is there any easy way for doing this..

Thanks.

Ima.

2017-11-10 05:21:20 UTC
Post by ***@mineral.gov.pg [blat]
Chip,
I did further work and timing for sending of emails seem to have improved a lot.
Having achieved a good outcome on the above, my next task is to send a
simple short text message like, “RSAM ALERT NOTIFICATION – Ulawun”, to a
cell (mobile) phone number.
I read the blat commands but could not find one that does it. Is there any
easy way for doing this..
Thanks.
Ima.
Sending messages to cell phones, like to pagers, depends on which service
provider you are sending _to_. For example, there is a video on AT&T
(https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1061254) that says
to send emails to user's ***@txt.att.net. For example, if you
wanted to send an email (text message) to a user's cell phone of
111-555-1212, you would set the "To:" email address as
***@txt.att.net.

If you want to send pictures to their cell phones, another link at AT&T
(https://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/how-to-send-text-message-to-Cell-phone-via-computer/td-p/1816853)
shows you would send to the user's ***@mms.att.net instead.

For Verizon phones, you would use @vtext.com as their domain portion of the
email address.

T-Mobile phones would need @tmomail.net as the domain portion.

For a bigger list of carriers and their SMS gateways, I found this
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/email-to-sms/.

Chip
mike@cawthracomputers.com [blat]
2017-11-11 14:02:20 UTC
I've found email to text to be unreliable, tends to be captured in spam filters if you send similar messages to the same provider, let aloe same phone.

I bought a cellular modem and Diafaan server for about 300USD, an unlimited messaging service is about $15 a month, and now have unlimited message service that can be shared by the entire business, including web access. Fast and reliable.

Email to text messages often just disappear, and the recipients are often charged 15cents to read each message