How to: Change Message-ID header.
andrewfreestuff19@yahoo.com [blat]
2016-02-01 20:55:13 UTC
Currently our BLAT emailer seems to create its own MessageID for example

Is there anyway to set or change this? At minimum we would like to have @our.company.name rather than @mailrelay. We would ideally also like to set the prefix to <a value we want>@our.company.name

Thanks in advance.
Julian Milano julian@jdmils.com [blat]
2016-02-02 09:28:07 UTC
Wouldn't this be the ReplyTo Address which populates these fields in the header?

Regards

Julian Milano

From: ***@yahoogroups.com
To: ***@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 12:55:13 -0800
Subject: [blat] How to: Change Message-ID header.

Thanks in advance.
'Mike Mattos' mmattos@rogers.com [blat]
2016-02-02 12:49:04 UTC
I created a random message and used blat to send it between accounts.

The message ID was Message-ID: BLU174-***@phx.gbl

Seems to be normal behaviour. The sender and receiver were Primus and Rogers accounts. No
idea who phx.gbl are.

Homeland Security? Russian mobsters? Al Qaida ?

Mike Mattos

"To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered"

Voltaire

_____

Thanks in advance.
andrewfreestuff19@yahoo.com [blat]
2016-02-02 20:43:05 UTC
Thanks Mike/Julian

The newsgroup (or my reader) seems to be truncating the text after the @ sign, so I cannot see what your full message-id was Mike.

Could you repost what your message id was, perhaps separate out the pieces, e.g. BLU174-W258F0413C6AEE7B35E6691D7DF0 AT the_bit_after_the_at_sign.

And did you have a reply to setting in your blat command?

Thanks
'Mike Mattos' mmattos@rogers.com [blat]
2016-02-02 22:26:49 UTC
I agree with Stuart, the Message ID is generated somewhere by an upstream mailserver and not by BLAT. When I mentioned Homeland Security I was pointing out that emails create unique identifiers that allow surveillance and tracking outside user control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message-ID

Thanks
'Stuart Schaffert' stuart@it-techworks.com [blat]
2016-02-02 21:12:40 UTC
As far as I know the message ID is created by the mailserver or servers to uniquely identofy the message. There is no way to control it from BLAT..

Stuart

Currently our BLAT emailer seems to create its own MessageID for example

Is there anyway to set or change this? At minimum we would like to have @our.company.name rather than @mailrelay. We would ideally also like to set the prefix to <a value we want>@our.company.name

Thanks in advance.

---
andrewfreestuff19@yahoo.com [blat]
2016-02-02 21:20:17 UTC
Thanks for the reply Stuart.

If you take a look at my original post I included my message-ID. Amongst the text string it seems to contain the text Blat.v3.1.2, so I am guessing Blat is having some say in it?

Any further insight appreciated.
Cheers
guysalias@f-m.fm [blat]
2016-02-02 23:26:33 UTC
A Message-ID is two parts, left and right separated by an "@".
The left side must be unique.
The right side is the hostname, domain name, or domain literal IP address.

In the case of Blat -- the left side consists of DateTime, "Blat" and version, PID and CPU time -- the right is hostname or server.

SMTP servers may change the original MID of a message.

The right side may be changed via command line, config changes, etc.
The left side would require code changes (see bldhdrs.cpp).
andrewfreestuff19@yahoo.com [blat]
2016-02-03 00:33:43 UTC
Thanks guys_alias

Would it be the BLAT setting -hostname that would change the RHS? Currently we don't specify any -hostname in the command line so that may be why it is defaulting to ATmailrelay

[Unfortunately I am not immediately able to test the setting myself as I don't have access to where we have the app installed, hence why I am asking rather than trying it myself].

Thanks
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2016-02-03 04:08:14 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [blat]
Currently our BLAT emailer seems to create its own MessageID for example
Thanks in advance.
Blat creates a Message-ID header where the server’s name, as given by the user, is placed after the @ symbol. If the user specifies their SMTP server is called mailrelay, that is what Blat will use in the Message-ID header. The rest of the information is based on the current date and time, Blat’s version, and the Process ID value from Windows. One other piece of data in the header is either a pseudo random value, or the CPU’s Time Stamp Counter value.
This format was chosen to provide some accountability and to identify the Blat version, for spam filters.
I can entertain the idea of user provided data in the Message-ID header, but the argument must make sense and be such that it will not lead to spammers using it for other purposes.
Chip
'Moore, Bruce' bamoore@bbandt.com [blat]
2016-02-03 04:25:41 UTC
Andrewfreestuff – see Chips reply below

________________________________
Posted by: "Chip" <***@att.net>

The information in this transmission may contain proprietary and non-public information of BB&T or its affiliates and may be subject to protection under the law. The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete the material from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission.
marchaw@hotmail.com [blat]
2017-09-07 20:57:14 UTC
I noticed that some Spam filters seem to pick up on the 'blat' portion of the message-id. Is there any way to supply a custom header?
'John K.Eason' yahoo@john-eason.co.uk [blat]
2017-09-08 08:15:00 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com [blat]
I noticed that some Spam filters seem to pick up on the 'blat'
portion of the message-id. Is there any way to supply a custom
header?
Have a look at the "Miscellaneous RFC header switches" section in the
syntax.txt file from the blat zip file. It looks as if you can do more or
less whatever you like to the message header with the switches available
there.
--
Regards
John