Did Blat Finish?
george7a
2006-09-01 06:55:46 UTC
Hello,

Is there a switch that I can use that will tell me if Blat has finished
sending the email?

I can't count on the log file (-log). I have noticed once that it is
generated at the begining of BLAT's run.

Is there something like a done.file?

Thanks,

P.S. I am using v1.9.4

- George

2006-09-01 14:31:37 UTC
Hey george7a,

On Friday, September 1, 2006 at 2:55:46 AM you wrote

g> Is there a switch that I can use that will tell me if Blat has finished
g> sending the email?

g> I can't count on the log file (-log). I have noticed once that it is
g> generated at the begining of BLAT's run.

g> Is there something like a done.file?

g> Thanks,

g> P.S. I am using v1.9.4

Well, I would suggest 2 things. First, if possible, get the current
version from www.blat.net 1.9.4 is about 3 years out of date.

As to your question. How about checking the ERRORLEVEL that it
returns? You can check the Blat web site for examples...
http://www.blat.net/examples/

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

george7a
2006-09-04 05:42:55 UTC

> Well, I would suggest 2 things. First, if possible, get the current
> version from www.blat.net 1.9.4 is about 3 years out of date.
>
> As to your question. How about checking the ERRORLEVEL that it
> returns? You can check the Blat web site for examples...
> http://www.blat.net/examples/
>
> --
> Tim Musson
> Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
> It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
> Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

Hi,

Thanks for your your reply.

My question was if I can know that blat has finished sending the mail
or not.

We have modified blat (1.9.4) I know it is old. If there is no other
was we might modify a hihger version of blat. What I did now is that
I ran Blat from VB and checked if Blat is still working (by checking
the current running processes). I think there should be an easier way.

Thanks again,

- Goerge

Qe'van, Bard of Nor
2006-09-04 05:58:14 UTC
-- Also Sprach george7a...

> > Well, I would suggest 2 things. First, if possible, get the current
> > version from www.blat.net 1.9.4 is about 3 years out of date.
> >
> > As to your question. How about checking the ERRORLEVEL that it
> > returns? You can check the Blat web site for examples...
> > http://www.blat.net/examples/
> >
> > --
> > Tim Musson
> > Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
> > It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
> > Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your your reply.
>
> My question was if I can know that blat has finished sending the mail or
> not.
>
> We have modified blat (1.9.4) I know it is old. If there is no other was
> we might modify a hihger version of blat. What I did now is that I ran
> Blat from VB and checked if Blat is still working (by checking the current
> running processes). I think there should be an easier way.

Your script/program/whatever makes a call to blat. Blat works (or doesn't)
and sets the appropriate return code. Your program checks the return code
value. Basically, '0' is good, meaning everything's ok. Not '0' is bad,
something went wrong. Either way when you have the return code blat has
'finished' sending (or failing to the send) the email message.

It's pretty much like any other subroutine, function or system call you make
in a program or script.

--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://thenor.net/poetry

... Try to get all of your posthumous medals in advance.

george7a
2006-09-04 09:44:32 UTC

> Your script/program/whatever makes a call to blat. Blat works (or
doesn't)
> and sets the appropriate return code. Your program checks the
return code
> value. Basically, '0' is good, meaning everything's ok. Not '0' is
bad,
> something went wrong. Either way when you have the return code
blat has
> 'finished' sending (or failing to the send) the email message.
>
> It's pretty much like any other subroutine, function or system call
you make
> in a program or script.
>
> --
> Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
> http://thenor.net/poetry
>
> ... Try to get all of your posthumous medals in advance.

Hi and thanks for your reply,

In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
returned value of Blat :(. All I can do is just run it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

- George

2006-09-04 11:47:44 UTC
Hey george7a,

On Monday, September 4, 2006 at 5:44:32 AM you wrote

g> In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
g> returned value of Blat :(. All I can do is just run it.

I am not a VB programer, but I find it hard to believe you can't check
a return code of another module. After all, return codes are a
standard MS Windows way of doing things, and VB is an MS scripting
language...

Anyone out there care to write an example of how to check the
ERRORLEVEL return code? I would love to put it on the Examples section
of the web site with the Batch examples of ERRORLEVEL checking.

Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me
at once.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

Kai
2006-09-04 12:35:22 UTC
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, Tim Musson <***@...> wrote:

> Hey george7a,
>
> On Monday, September 4, 2006 at 5:44:32 AM you wrote
>
> g> In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
> g> returned value of Blat :(. All I can do is just run it.
>
> I am not a VB programer,

I see repeated mentioning of "the scripting language I am using"
but no reference to VB in george7a's posts.

So it might be a good idea to name this peculiar language.

If then anyone here knows about it, she will probably share
about running other processes and getting their exit codes
in that language.

Otherwise it should be worth a question in a forum related
to that particular "scripting language". Because starting
other programs and getting their return values should be a
standard treat.

Kai
2006-09-04 12:50:16 UTC
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "Kai" <***@...> wrote:
> I see repeated mentioning of "the scripting language I am using"
> but no reference to VB in george7a's posts.

My eye-sight, my bad...

O.k. in #8806 he did mention "VB".

To make an additional productive remark here:
There is a difference between VB (= Visual Basic), a MS
programming language (if you want to call BASIC that; but
it exposes the WinAPI and compiles to exe), and VBS
(= Visual BAsic Script) which is indead a scripting language
(~ is interpreted at runtime from the source).

Fortunately I can avoid using either VB or VBS in daily work,
so I'm not proficient to give advice. But I am quite sure
there is "a relatively easy way" to start sub-programs in both
*and* capturing their return codes... either for EXEs to start
or calling entry points in a (the blat-)DLL.
If all fails here, there is still my sound advice to ask in a
language focussed forum about it...

george7a
2006-09-04 13:08:03 UTC
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, Tim Musson <***@...> wrote:

> Hey george7a,
>
> On Monday, September 4, 2006 at 5:44:32 AM you wrote
>
> g> In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
> g> returned value of Blat :(. All I can do is just run it.
>
> I am not a VB programer, but I find it hard to believe you can't
check
> a return code of another module. After all, return codes are a
> standard MS Windows way of doing things, and VB is an MS scripting
> language...
>
> Anyone out there care to write an example of how to check the
> ERRORLEVEL return code? I would love to put it on the Examples
section
> of the web site with the Batch examples of ERRORLEVEL checking.
>
> --
> Tim Musson
> Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
> I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack
me
> at once.
> Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

Hi,

You miss-understood me. I will try to explain my self again.

In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
returned value of Blat. I can only execute the exe and that's all!

That's why I programmed a VB appliction that will execute blat and
wait for it and then my script will call the VB application.

I was wondering if there is a way to do this without using the VB
application that I have developed. In other executables that I use
there is a flag that you can give and as a result a file (done.file)
will be generated to indicate that the exe has finished. I wanted to
ask if there such thing in blat. If not is it easy to do?

Thanks again for all your replies,

- George

Qe'van, Bard of Nor
2006-09-04 16:42:43 UTC
-- Also Sprach george7a...

> In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
> returned value of Blat. I can only execute the exe and that's all!

Ok. Why the crypticism? /WHAT/ scripting language are you using?

> That's why I programmed a VB appliction that will execute blat and
> wait for it and then my script will call the VB application.

> I was wondering if there is a way to do this without using the VB
> application that I have developed. In other executables that I use
> there is a flag that you can give and as a result a file (done.file) will
> be generated to indicate that the exe has finished. I wanted to ask if
> there such thing in blat. If not is it easy to do?

Ok, that's a new one to me. I've been around a little bit and I don't
remember any 'Hey, I've finished working!' flags in anything else.

I assume this is some sort of child process that gets spawned off to execute
simultaneously...else there would be no issue. Most 'scripting languages' I
know of are inherently single-threaded unless you take pains to make them
multi-threaded.

In your VB app, create the 'completion' file just after the call to blat.

--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://thenor.net/poetry

... What fun that must have been. What is a Hondekop?- Anna Steven

Hamilton, Robert L
2006-09-04 17:12:27 UTC
This is interesting; what is the 'scripting language' being used?

bobh

<SNIP>

ykai
2006-09-04 17:29:16 UTC
"george7a" <***@...> wrote:
>--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, Tim Musson <***@...> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You miss-understood me. I will try to explain my self again.
>
>In the scripting langiage that I am using, I cannot check the
>returned value of Blat. I can only execute the exe and that's all!

I wonder what secret scripting language that might be, that
its name cannot be revealed?

>That's why I programmed a VB appliction that will execute blat and
>wait for it and then my script will call the VB application.
>
>I was wondering if there is a way to do this without using the VB
>application that I have developed. In other executables that I use
>there is a flag that you can give and as a result a file (done.file)
>will be generated to indicate that the exe has finished. I wanted to
>ask if there such thing in blat. If not is it easy to do?

a) That concept sounds weird.
b) No, there is no such option in blat.
c) Using the available blat source, you might be able to program
such a thing, but I seriously doubt that will make it in the
"official" distribution. If the environment/language you are
forced(?) to use is really handicapped in that regard, you can always
use a simple batch file as in (substitute the rem lines with actual
batch code, if you want/need to)(Assuming NT or better, where there
is a cmd.exe)
,-[callblat.bat]---
|:: Feed the parameters to the blat call
|blat %*
|rem Test errorlevel here, if you want
|rem Generate you done file here, using echo probably
`------------------
Then call cmd.exe as your subprocess:
"cmd.exe <path_to_batch>\callblat.bat <any parameters for blat here>"

So one scripting language calling another for the rescue.
(If you want to be pompous and call MS batch syntax a scripting
language ;-))
At least no need to call yet another external program as your
blat wrapper.

george7a
2006-09-05 05:56:12 UTC
> a) That concept sounds weird.
> b) No, there is no such option in blat.
> c) Using the available blat source, you might be able to program
> such a thing, but I seriously doubt that will make it in the
> "official" distribution. If the environment/language you are
> forced(?) to use is really handicapped in that regard, you can
always
> use a simple batch file as in (substitute the rem lines with actual
> batch code, if you want/need to)(Assuming NT or better, where there
> is a cmd.exe)
> ,-[callblat.bat]---
> |:: Feed the parameters to the blat call
> |blat %*
> |rem Test errorlevel here, if you want
> |rem Generate you done file here, using echo probably
> `------------------
> Then call cmd.exe as your subprocess:
> "cmd.exe <path_to_batch>\callblat.bat <any parameters for blat
here>"

> So one scripting language calling another for the rescue.
> (If you want to be pompous and call MS batch syntax a scripting
> language ;-))
> At least no need to call yet another external program as your
> blat wrapper.

Hi and thanks again for your replies.

I don't think that this concept sounds weird. I have seen it in many
executables. The *.bat file will do the job. But it is the same as I
did in VB.

I need to know when blat finishes so I can delete all the attachments
and other files that been used to prepare the attachment.

Another question if I run Blat from a *.bat file the black screen (of
cmd) will show up. I don't want to see this. Is there a way to run
blat minimized or even hiden?

2006-09-05 06:04:59 UTC
> Hi and thanks again for your replies.
>
> I don't think that this concept sounds weird. I have seen it in many
> executables. The *.bat file will do the job. But it is the same as I
> did in VB.
>
> I need to know when blat finishes so I can delete all the attachments
> and other files that been used to prepare the attachment.
>
> Another question if I run Blat from a *.bat file the black screen (of
> cmd) will show up. I don't want to see this. Is there a way to run
> blat minimized or even hiden?

George,

Answer this ONE question. If you cannot, then leave us alone and go visit
your scripting language groups.

WHAT IS THE SCRIPT LANGUAGE YOU USE?????????????

You've been asked that more than once, and you refuse to answer.

george7a
2006-09-05 10:48:50 UTC
> George,
>
> Answer this ONE question. If you cannot, then leave us alone and
go visit
> your scripting language groups.
>
> WHAT IS THE SCRIPT LANGUAGE YOU USE?????????????
>
> You've been asked that more than once, and you refuse to answer.
>
> --
> Chip

I am sorry, I didn't mean to. It is called "Baan Tools". I don't know
how many of you know it anyway I am a guru in this language and I
know there is no solution because I already activate blat from VB
because I want blat to be MINIMIZED.

So the options I have are:

1) activate blat from VB and wait for VB. (Thats what I am doing).
The VB will MINIMIZE blat and wait for it.

2) blat will generate a done file then the VB won't have to wait for
blat. VB will only MINIMIZE blat

3) to activate blat MINIMIZED with out VB then (AND JUST THEN) my
script can wait for blat.

I hope this is clear now.

Thanks again

- George

Qe'van, Bard of Nor
2006-09-05 12:36:25 UTC
-- Also Sprach george7a...

> Another question if I run Blat from a *.bat file the black screen (of cmd)
> will show up. I don't want to see this. Is there a way to run blat
> minimized or even hiden?

Blat is a command-line shell program. It is not Blad you need to 'run
hidden or minimized' - it is the CMD shell.

--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://thenor.net/poetry

... If you can read this - my cloaking device is defective.

Hamilton, Robert L
2006-09-05 11:02:04 UTC
What computer are you running BAAN on; PC, HP, UNIX or what. . . Should
be PC if you are using BLAT - AFAIK.

bobh

george7a
2006-09-05 12:42:47 UTC
--- In ***@yahoogroups.com, "Hamilton, Robert L" <***@...> wrote:

> What computer are you running BAAN on; PC, HP, UNIX or what. . .
Should
> be PC if you are using BLAT - AFAIK.
>
> bobh

Yes .. Blat is running on the client.It works great but with long
reports it take some time so I need to wait for it.

I need it also to run minimized.

- George

namtog
2006-09-05 12:53:52 UTC
Greetings,

I guess I lurked this troll fest long enough.

Even tho this really isn't a Blat issue I
really admire the hook that kept them coming
back. In particular the light hand touch,
the slight misspelling of language.

Bravo.

Some times that big old ugly DOS box is a
bother to keep in the background. Try Nircmd;
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Better yet roll the batch file into a exe.
This will keep your users from mucking with
them. ExeScript has a "silent mode";
http://www.hide-folder.com/overview/hf_7.html

Let's go fishing one day.
Namtog

Bob Metz
2006-09-05 13:35:50 UTC
Greetings,

Nice touch

bobmtai

c***@att.net
2006-09-05 16:21:57 UTC
> I am sorry, I didn't mean to. It is called "Baan Tools". I don't know
> how many of you know it anyway I am a guru in this language and I
> know there is no solution because I already activate blat from VB
> because I want blat to be MINIMIZED.
>
> So the options I have are:
>
> 1) activate blat from VB and wait for VB. (Thats what I am doing).
> The VB will MINIMIZE blat and wait for it.
>
> 2) blat will generate a done file then the VB won't have to wait for
> blat. VB will only MINIMIZE blat
>
> 3) to activate blat MINIMIZED with out VB then (AND JUST THEN) my
> script can wait for blat.
>
> I hope this is clear now.
>
> Thanks again
>
> - George

Guru or not, you've gone about this the wrong way. It appears from your messages as though your code spawns Blat without the necessary call to wait for completion, thus allowing your higher level control logic to go about other tasks and come back to poll Blat's completion status on a periodic basis. This works only if the called task can communicate directly back to the control logic, but falls on its face when there is no direct link between the two, as in your coded case. Instead, you should look for cases where you can spawn a _thread_ that can set a semaphore. This thread will spawn Blat with the needed "Wait For Completion" logic, then set a common semaphore to a DONE status immediately prior to terminating itself. The upper level control logic would go about its own functions, and poll the status of this common semaphore, then perform whatever action is needed when the status
changes to DONE. The whole problem is not with Blat, but with the tools and code you are attem
pting to use.

namtog
2006-09-05 17:58:53 UTC
Greetings Chip,

You wrote;
"Guru or not,
<snip>
status changes to DONE."

Thank you for your architecture abstract. I thank you
again for using generic terms, e.g. semaphore. With wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaphore_(programming)
I can follow your train of thought.

I really think that your last paragraph;
"The whole problem is not with Blat, but with the
tools and code you are attempting to use."
is all that is needed.

Consider the words of Edsger Dijkstra;
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/
with one more instruction.

Basic = Baan Tools

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming
style to students that have had prior exposure to Basic;
as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond
hope of regeneration."

Did Blat Finish? Best Blat thread EVER.I'm sure the CBG
would agree :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy
or
http://www.mandys-web.de/images/Simpsons/Comicbookguy.jpg

Namtog

2006-09-06 05:32:22 UTC
> "It is practically impossible to teach good programming
> style to students that have had prior exposure to Basic;
> as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond
> hope of regeneration."

Basic was the first language I used back in high school, then various
calculator specific languages. Later, I learned assembly language with my
Apple ][+ in July 1979, while I continued to use Basic. At this point, I
was also writing assembly language on a 1955 era computer, and Cobol on a
Honeywell mainframe. I self taught myself C and C++, and also 8086
assembly. In '84 time frame, I wrote a terminal emuator that could emulate
four sessions simultaneously under DOS, fully in assembly language.

My current paid projects include 32-bit assembly language, running multiple
threads under DOS (impossible?) to test memory modules on the production
line. The programs include a mixture of assembly, C, and C++, with some
16-bit code thrown in to make the transition to auxiliary processors from
the BSP. Each thread contains status flags and a communications area that
can be accessed from the control logic. The main code also uses semaphores
to control access to error reporting through DOS, in part because DOS is
single threaded, but also to force in-order processing of the error report.

The statement quoted above is not a true statement for all students. :)

george7a
2006-09-06 05:43:08 UTC
> Guru or not, you've gone about this the wrong way. It appears from
your messages as though your code spawns Blat without the necessary
call to wait for completion, thus allowing your higher level control
logic to go about other tasks and come back to poll Blat's completion
status on a periodic basis. This works only if the called task can
communicate directly back to the control logic, but falls on its face
when there is no direct link between the two, as in your coded case.
Instead, you should look for cases where you can spawn a _thread_
that can set a semaphore. This thread will spawn Blat with the
needed "Wait For Completion" logic, then set a common semaphore to a
DONE status immediately prior to terminating itself. The upper level
control logic would go about its own functions, and poll the status
of this common semaphore, then perform whatever action is needed when
the status changes to DONE. The whole problem is not with Blat, but
with the tools and code you are attem
> pting to use.
>
> Chip

I will close this thread and won't continue. If possible please
delete it. I see it is too complicated. I didn't think so. I am sorry.

Baan tools version that I am (forced) using is a bit old so it's not
anybody's fault that some basic functions are missing.

I can not use other "CMDs". batch file will do the same as VB doing
now.

I see the answer for my question is "No". Workaround will be to run
it through VB or to modify it.

I am sorry I wasn't clear enough. English is not my first language.

This went wider than I though and again I am sorry. You can delete
the thread.

- George

Hamilton, Robert L
2006-09-05 18:25:38 UTC
You, GOSUB

bobh

2006-09-05 18:51:06 UTC
Greetings,

bobh wrote;
"You, GOSUB"

That's no way to talk to a Perl guy. It goes
more like this;

my ($you, $YGB ) = @_;
$you=$YGB->param('you');

While I'm in the mood for quotes from others'
"Perl is another example of filling a tiny,
short-term need, and then being a real problem
in the longer term."

Attributed to Alan Kay;
http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/GASCH.KAY.HTML

Namtog

Hamilton, Robert L
2006-09-05 20:15:20 UTC
ROTFLMAO

Bobh

PS: REXX folks refer to CJAPE , C-JA-PE. C, java and Perl. When those
folks first get to rexx they
See things they know from C , JAVA and Perl ; i.e., POS, SUBSTR et al.
and they use those
When other means is far better.

2006-09-06 05:39:05 UTC
> ROTFLMAO
>
> Bobh
>
> PS: REXX folks refer to CJAPE , C-JA-PE. C, java and Perl. When those
> folks first get to rexx they
> See things they know from C , JAVA and Perl ; i.e., POS, SUBSTR et al.
> and they use those
> When other means is far better.

Assembly language... what all others boil down to. ;-)

Hamilton, Robert L
2006-09-06 09:14:09 UTC
Well, not exactly; first it's Machine Code and that boils down to one
instruction: CMPSW

bobh

Assembly language... what all others boil down to. ;-)