Slow SMTP resolution
mattdonagan
2003-05-05 17:52:27 UTC
I am running v 1.9.4 of Blat .exe

When running the command line, the first copuple emails go through
pretty fast (Less than 5 seconds)...after that, every email takes 12-
15 seconds to go through.
I get the following error when I specisy a timeout of less that 10

Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error

I could understand if the first email was slow, because of lookup
issues, but after that Iw ould have ASSUMED (silly me) that it would
be cached and not have to look up my smtp server again.

Any help/direction appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-05-05 18:56:12 UTC
Hey mattdonagan,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Monday, May 5, 2003 at 1:52:27 PM.

m> I am running v 1.9.4 of Blat .exe

m> When running the command line, the first copuple emails go through
m> pretty fast (Less than 5 seconds)...after that, every email takes 12-
m> 15 seconds to go through.
m> I get the following error when I specisy a timeout of less that 10

m> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error

m> I could understand if the first email was slow, because of lookup
m> issues, but after that Iw ould have ASSUMED (silly me) that it would
m> be cached and not have to look up my smtp server again.

m> Any help/direction appreciated.

What do you get if you add the -debug switch? I am guessing this is
coming from your SMTP server...
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
How do you get holy water?... Boil the hell out of it!
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/dkFolB/TM
mattdonagan
2003-05-05 19:20:04 UTC
D:\blat>blat readme.txt -t ***@rlcarriers.com -f
***@rlcarriers.com -ti 5 -debug
Sending to ***@rlcarriers.com
Login name is ***@rlcarriers.com
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
Post by Tim Musson
putline>>> QUIT
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
D:\blat>
Post by Tim Musson
m> issues, but after that Iw ould have ASSUMED (silly me) that it would
m> be cached and not have to look up my smtp server again.
m> Any help/direction appreciated.
What do you get if you add the -debug switch? I am guessing this is
coming from your SMTP server...
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
How do you get holy water?... Boil the hell out of it!
Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-05-05 23:18:26 UTC
Hey mattdonagan,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Monday, May 5, 2003 at 3:20:04 PM.

D:\blat>>blat readme.txt -t ***@rlcarriers.com -f
m> ***@rlcarriers.com -ti 5 -debug
m> Sending to ***@rlcarriers.com
m> Login name is ***@rlcarriers.com
m> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
m> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
D:\blat>>

Hmmm, I still think there is something server related though. Any chance
you can check out the SMTP Server logs? Or possibly use a different
Server? If you run Perl on your local workstation, I can give you a bit
of code to catch the Blat test sends and drop em each to a file... That
is one of the ways I test.

To take out the possibility of a DNS issue, use an IP Address instead of
a DNS name.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
Keyboard Not Found - Press [F1] to Continue
Blat FAQ @ http://blat.freeshell.org/faq/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/dkFolB/TM
mattdonagan
2003-05-06 13:41:00 UTC
Unfortunately, I do not have PERL.
I have no other SMTP server, either.
I have also already tried using the IP address instead of the name,
and I have the same issue. I have used a HOSTS file, I have used an
LMHOSTS file, also.
I will check server logs as soon as I can and let you know.

As I said, the strange thing is that the first couple of emails go
through pretty quickly, then it slows down....that is the strange
part of it all!
Post by Tim Musson
Hey mattdonagan,
My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Monday, May 5, 2003 at 3:20:04 PM.
m> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
m> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
D:\blat>>
Hmmm, I still think there is something server related though. Any chance
you can check out the SMTP Server logs? Or possibly use a different
Server? If you run Perl on your local workstation, I can give you a bit
of code to catch the Blat test sends and drop em each to a file... That
is one of the ways I test.
To take out the possibility of a DNS issue, use an IP Address
instead of
a DNS name.
2003-05-06 13:49:43 UTC
Post by mattdonagan
Unfortunately, I do not have PERL.
I have no other SMTP server, either.
I have also already tried using the IP address instead of the name,
and I have the same issue. I have used a HOSTS file, I have used an
LMHOSTS file, also.
I will check server logs as soon as I can and let you know.
As I said, the strange thing is that the first couple of emails go
through pretty quickly, then it slows down....that is the strange
part of it all!
Just a wild assed guess: this seems like your server is caching messages
while it attempts to relay to the far end. Its like you are on dial-up,
DSL, or have a slow/bad upload connection which is causing long delays on
the outgoing messages. While the first message is delayed in delivery, your
server is not accepting further messages (#3, etc.). What kind of ping
times do you get?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/dkFolB/TM
mattdonagan
2003-05-06 15:51:20 UTC
Chip,
I agree that it seems like it is caching the first couple messages.
We are on a 100mps lan. The servers are on different Vlans, however,
I have tried putting it on the same vlan as the Exchange server, and
the same issue happens. The backbone is a Cisco 6513 switch.
Ping times are less that 10ms, so I don't think the issue is with the
network.
I have tried putting BLAT directly on the Exchange server, and the
same issue occurs!!!!
Argh, I am frustrated!
Post by Chip
server is not accepting further messages (#3, etc.). What kind of ping
times do you get?
Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/dkFolB/TM
2003-05-06 16:35:42 UTC
Hey mattdonagan,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 at 11:51:20 AM.

m> I agree that it seems like it is caching the first couple
m> messages. We are on a 100mps lan. The servers are on different Vlans,
m> however, I have tried putting it on the same vlan as the Exchange
m> server, and the same issue happens. The backbone is a Cisco 6513
m> switch. Ping times are less that 10ms, so I don't think the issue is
m> with the network.
m> I have tried putting BLAT directly on the Exchange server, and the
m> same issue occurs!!!! Argh, I am frustrated!

What version of Exchange?

I agree, I don't think it matters where you run Blat. I think what Chip
was asking though is where is the SMTP server trying to deliver the
message? Is it another Internet address (not a part of your Exchange
system)?

What happens if you try to send to about 10 addresses that are in your
Exchange system? Does it matter if that Exchange SMTP Server 'knows'
about the address?

I agree with Chip, it sounds like the server is delaying things for some
reason. That Machine isn't having performance issues is it?
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
CATS: The Other White Meat.

mattdonagan
2003-05-06 21:05:24 UTC
Running Exchange 5.5 SP4
I habve no other issues with the server it is on. If I send from
outlook, mail goes through very quickly.
All the emails are going to people within the company, rarely outside
the company.
I have tried inside and outside addresses, and they both take just as
long.

I agree, it is a resolution problem, but where would the problem be?
my WINS server? DNS server? or the Exchange server itself?
2003-05-07 01:38:22 UTC
Hey mattdonagan,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 at 5:05:24 PM.

m> Running Exchange 5.5 SP4 I habve no other issues with the server it
m> is on. If I send from outlook, mail goes through very quickly. All
m> the emails are going to people within the company, rarely outside the
m> company. I have tried inside and outside addresses, and they both
m> take just as long.

m> I agree, it is a resolution problem, but where would the problem be?
m> my WINS server? DNS server? or the Exchange server itself?

I am guessing it is with the SMTP Service on the Exchange Server. This
Service does have it's own logs, you may want to look there. Possibly
increase the logging level? I don't know much about the Exchange SMTP
Service, but other SMTP Services I have worked with would be able to
provide sufficient logging...

I would be surprised if the problem was WINS or DNS, and you can
eliminate them by putting in an IP address for the server...

At this point, I guess I am at a loss. I have not seen this problem, or
read about it, and can not reproduce...
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
Luxuriantly hand-crafted from only the finest ASCII.

Peter Kronfuss
2003-05-08 18:16:20 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Running Exchange 5.5 SP4 I habve no other issues with the server it
is on. If I send from outlook, mail goes through very quickly. All
the emails are going to people within the company, rarely outside the
company. I have tried inside and outside addresses, and they both
take just as long.
I agree, it is a resolution problem, but where would the problem be?
my WINS server? DNS server? or the Exchange server itself?
You can try to log the communications between the server and the client
with a packet sniffer like ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/). It is
easy to install and also works on windows. Then you should be able to
see at wich point it stops to respond quickly.
--
Peet

2003-05-06 16:42:35 UTC
Hey mattdonagan,

My MUA believes you used
to write the following on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 at 9:41:00 AM.

m> Unfortunately, I do not have PERL.

You could install it... :-)

m> I have no other SMTP server, either.

I also do some tests with a standalone SMTP relay bit of code. It is
very small, and I don't think it has an install or uses the registry, so
easy to remove when you are done.

You would run it on the same machine as Blat, and have Blat connect to
'localhost'. Don't know if I would run it production at your site, but
it may be worth testing...

The URL is http://netvicious.iespana.es/netvicious/ , but it was 'down
for software maint' just now when I tried to hit it. The copy I have is
a beta, but I will send it if you want.

m> I have also already tried using the IP address instead of the
m> name, and I have the same issue. I have used a HOSTS file, I have
m> used an LMHOSTS file, also. I will check server logs as soon as I
m> can and let you know.

m> As I said, the strange thing is that the first couple of emails go
m> through pretty quickly, then it slows down....that is the strange
m> part of it all!

And that is what makes me believe it is not Blat...
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
What's brown and sticky? ... A stick!