Usenet Binary Files
starf1x
2006-02-08 20:30:59 UTC
Ok, I've read almost, I say almost all the posts on this group.
And can't find a solution for my problem, here goes:

I want to upload a binary to a news server, that works, BUT
It all ends up as multiparts on the server, and shows all the files
incomplete.

Here's the commandline I use, it is directly translated out of VB6:

blat - -body "Jada jada topic (01/01)" -p me -u meto -pw password -
groups alt.binaries.test -replyto ***@home.nut -f me -i me
-dsn sfd -noh2 -multipart 250 -x "X-INFO: Test Post" -
subject "Subject 01/01" -attach file.rar -superdebugT -log
c:\Logfile.txt"

What am I doing wrong here, I can't find it anymore, am I overlooking
something?

Kind Regards, Starf1x
2006-02-09 12:40:01 UTC
Hey starf1x,

On Wednesday, February 8, 2006 at 3:30:59 PM you wrote

s> Ok, I've read almost, I say almost all the posts on this group.
s> And can't find a solution for my problem, here goes:

s> I want to upload a binary to a news server, that works, BUT
s> It all ends up as multiparts on the server, and shows all the files
s> incomplete.

s> Here's the commandline I use, it is directly translated out of VB6:

s> blat - -body "Jada jada topic (01/01)"
s> -p me
s> -u meto
s> -pw password
s> -groups alt.binaries.test
s> -replyto ***@home.nut
s> -f me
s> -i me
s> -dsn sfd
s> -noh2
s> -multipart 250
s> -x "X-INFO: Test Post"
s> -subject "Subject 01/01"
s> -attach file.rar
s> -superdebugT
s> -log c:\Logfile.txt"

Well, looking at the above, the -multipart option is what is breaking
your file into multiple parts... So it will show up in the news group
that way as I understand it (I don't do much with news groups).

A number of the other options don't really need to be there unless you
have a specific reason for them... (for example -p, with a quick look,
you are overriding everything but the -server option in the
registry...)

s> What am I doing wrong here, I can't find it anymore, am I overlooking
s> something?

s> Kind Regards, Starf1x
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
You can't have everything! Where the heck would you put it?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
starf1x
2006-02-09 13:53:10 UTC
Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that some nntp server only accept messages with a
certain amount of line, in my case 3000 on server 1 and 5000 on
server 2, so I have to split them, or the server complains that the
message is to big.
Is this something I can overcome with Blat?

The commandline is indeed not according specs, but i was desperate
to overcome this issue :)

Kind Regards, Starf1x
Hey starf1x,
2006-02-09 14:11:12 UTC
Hey starf1x,

On Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 8:53:10 AM you wrote

s> The problem is that some nntp server only accept messages with a
s> certain amount of line, in my case 3000 on server 1 and 5000 on
s> server 2, so I have to split them, or the server complains that the
s> message is to big.
s> Is this something I can overcome with Blat?

You can not get around server restrictions using Blat. Unless the
server (or clients reading the posts) can re-assemble the attachment,
I can't think of anything for you to do. Maybe someone else on this
list that works more with Usenet can suggest something.

s> The commandline is indeed not according specs, but i was desperate
s> to overcome this issue :)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
------ A rock -------> me <----- A hard place -------
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
starf1x
2006-02-09 19:40:54 UTC
Thank you for your help,

I know the tool is mainly used for mailing, and will not bother you
anymore. (or someone on this list has a solution?)

Anyway, it is a good tool, and will wait for future releases :)

Kind Regards, Starf1x
Hey starf1x,
Post by Tim Musson
I can't think of anything for you to do. Maybe someone else on this
list that works more with Usenet can suggest something.
s> The commandline is indeed not according specs, but i was
desperate
s> to overcome this issue :)
2006-02-10 00:36:40 UTC
Post by starf1x
Ok, I've read almost, I say almost all the posts on this group.
I want to upload a binary to a news server, that works, BUT
It all ends up as multiparts on the server, and shows all the files
incomplete.
blat - -body "Jada jada topic (01/01)" -p me -u meto -pw password -
-dsn sfd -noh2 -multipart 250 -x "X-INFO: Test Post" -
subject "Subject 01/01" -attach file.rar -superdebugT -log
c:\Logfile.txt"
What am I doing wrong here, I can't find it anymore, am I overlooking
something?
Kind Regards, Starf1x
If you can give the correct subject line that you used, and date/time that
you posted, I can check two servers at my end to see how much of your test
was complete. I do not see anything wrong with your command line, so I
would suspect your NNTP server is possibly dropping parts in order to
prevent their users from posting and/or receiving copyrighted material. If
this is the case, look for a new server.

starf1x
2006-02-10 06:09:41 UTC
Look in the group: a.b.test for "DiscWorld 23" that are par files
retry'ed with different settings.
These par files aren't copyrighted in any way :)
And these server do not fail on what is posted.
1 server is of my ISP, the other is a pay server, both allow posting
of so called "copyright" material.

Thank you for helping me on this.

Kind Regards, Starf1x
2006-02-11 01:31:00 UTC
Post by starf1x
Look in the group: a.b.test for "DiscWorld 23" that are par files
retry'ed with different settings.
These par files aren't copyrighted in any way :)
And these server do not fail on what is posted.
1 server is of my ISP, the other is a pay server, both allow posting
of so called "copyright" material.
Thank you for helping me on this.
Kind Regards, Starf1x
I don't see anything in alt.binaries.test with "DiscWorld" in the subject,
and I can see messages going back to 0341 on the 8th (posted by scasanova).
I will post to this same group with "AVG7QT" in my subject line, using Blat
with yEnc.
starf1x
2006-02-13 07:17:52 UTC
You're naughty :)

You posted this with Blat V2.6.0, not wiht the version I used v2.5.0
The version i can download doesn't support yEnc :)

Kind Regards Starf1x

PS, I really like to get my hands on the V2.6.0 Version, you could
expect this kind of reaction :)
2006-02-13 13:09:40 UTC
Hey starf1x,

On Monday, February 13, 2006 at 2:17:52 AM you wrote

s> You're naughty :)

LOL

s> You posted this with Blat V2.6.0, not wiht the version I used v2.5.0
s> The version i can download doesn't support yEnc :)

s> Kind Regards Starf1x

s> PS, I really like to get my hands on the V2.6.0 Version, you could
s> expect this kind of reaction :)

yEnc was added as far back as v2.0.0 - Check the ChangeLog.txt you got
with the ZIP...
starf1x
2006-02-13 14:02:32 UTC
Indeed it is in the changelog, my apologies for not detecting it.
I was staring myself blind on the blat -h output.
I'll test this and report back to you.

Thank you for your help so far.

Kind Regards, Starf0x

PS, you expected this question: When does 2.6.0 going to be released?
Hey starf1x,
starf1x
2006-02-13 14:25:20 UTC
For the time being i've created a newsserver on my own computer
(Spaniel - Freeware)
Guess what :)
Look at the log:

2006.02.13 15:08:42 (Mon)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)
Blat saw and processed these options, and was confused by the last
one...
-body Dune2 - Children of Dune 8 (10/16)
-groups alt.binaries.anime
-noh2
-dsn sfd
-multipart 250
-yenc
Do not understand argument: -yenc
2006.02.13 15:08:42 (Mon)-------------End of Session------------------

I've also looked with notepad in the binary of blat, and yenc doesn't
exist in there either.
Are you sure it is still build-in?
'At Compile Time' does that mean I have so edit the source to enable
this?

Kind Regards, Starf1x
namtog
2006-02-13 16:42:44 UTC
Greetings,

Starflx wrote;
". . .and yenc doesn't exist in there either.
Are you sure it is still build-in?"

You may have a point here. In the source for
Blat 2.50 the file blat.h reads;
#define INCLUDE_NNTP TRUE // Change to FALSE if you do not
want NNTP support
#define INCLUDE_POP3 TRUE // Change to FALSE if you do not
want POP3 support
#define SUPPORT_YENC FALSE
#define SUPPORT_MULTIPART TRUE
etc.

If you look in the folder BY there is a blat.h
file that reads;
#define INCLUDE_NNTP TRUE // Change to FALSE if you do not
want NNTP support
#define INCLUDE_POP3 TRUE // Change to FALSE if you do not
want POP3 support
#define SUPPORT_YENC TRUE
#define SUPPORT_MULTIPART TRUE
etc.

So I guess it depend on which one Blat 2.50
was rolled up with. Unless I'm missing something.

Namtog
2006-02-13 17:18:47 UTC
Hey namtog,

On Monday, February 13, 2006 at 11:42:44 AM you wrote

n> Starflx wrote;
n> ". . .and yenc doesn't exist in there either.
n> Are you sure it is still build-in?"

n> You may have a point here. In the source for
n> Blat 2.50 the file blat.h reads;
====8<---------------- snip
n> #define SUPPORT_YENC FALSE
====8<---------------- snip

n> So I guess it depend on which one Blat 2.50
n> was rolled up with. Unless I'm missing something.

Interesting, I just checked the source that shipped with 2.50 and it
looks like yEnc is not enabled... hmmm
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Why get even, when you can get odd?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
starf1x
2006-02-13 18:20:46 UTC
So somewhere i'm in the clear?

Should I recompile (have to figure out how), or should I wait for
the 2.6 version?

Kind Regards, Starf1x
Hey namtog,
2006-02-14 02:21:48 UTC
Post by starf1x
So somewhere i'm in the clear?
Should I recompile (have to figure out how), or should I wait for
the 2.6 version?
Kind Regards, Starf1x
At the request of <cough, cough> the list manager <cough, cough>, a yEnc
built version was removed from binary distribution, yet left in place for
those folks with the compiler and desire to enable it. So far, just one
individual has requested yEnc-enabled binaries. I can make it available to
any who ask. :)

So, what has changed between 2.50 and 2.60? Mainly, I added support for
IMAP the same as I did for POP3. If your ISP requires email access before
allowing SMTP, and if your server uses IMAP, the new version should do the
trick. Other than that, I made minor changes to the socket support, and to
the message body file open request. I haven't wanted to release 2.60
because the IMAP support has not been properly tested. I did test it with
one server, but that is too small of a test compared to what is needed.
starf1x
2006-02-14 08:57:16 UTC
Cough, Cough, let me be the 'anyone' who asks?

I've been trying to compile this with vs2005 (I'm a vb6 man) and
can't get the dll compiled, has something to do with the compile
conditions, (precompiled headers). even switched off it produced:
'warning C4996: 'sprintf' was declared deprecated' many times, my
apologies but vs2005 is not my thing.

Kind Regards, Starf1x
2006-02-14 12:54:39 UTC
Hey Chip,

On Monday, February 13, 2006 at 9:21:48 PM you wrote

C> At the request of <cough, cough> the list manager <cough, cough>, a
C> yEnc built version was removed from binary distribution, yet left
C> in place for those folks with the compiler and desire to enable it.

LOL, now I remember... I think that was back when we were releasing a
number of different binaries. As it is just the one now, maybe
everything should be turned on (what does that do to it's size and
performance?)

C> So far, just one individual has requested yEnc-enabled binaries. I
C> can make it available to any who ask. :)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
namtog
2006-02-14 13:45:08 UTC
Greetings,

Starflx wrote;
"Cough, Cough, let me be the 'anyone' who asks?"
Just to clarify, are you asking Chip to send you
a yEnc enabled version of Blat? I think that is what
you want. Going on this assumption, Chip would you
please eMail starflx a copy of Blat 2.50 with yEnc.
This should solve his problem. Please also include
the DLL version.

If this works for you, starflx, please let all of
us know.

Then starflx wrote;
"I've been trying to compile this with . . ." No luck?
Well don't give it a second thought. I have never been
able to get Blat to compile/build a executable. I've
tried MS Visual C++ 6.0, Bloodshed DEV-C++ and a few
others. They all choke on errors even when I turn most
of the error reporting/checking off.

In fact in the time I've been haunting this board I
don't remember anyone getting Blat to build. A Google
search isn't much help.

[tinfoil hat]
I suspect the in crowd likes it this way.
[/tinfoil hat]

So now I have a question. What tool is used to compile
Blat. Are there any special library or modules required.

I would really like to know,
Namtog
starf1x
2006-02-14 19:57:35 UTC
At the moment I have them, I'll dive right in to them and report,
regardless if I have to work :)

Can't wait...

Kind Regards, Starf1x
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Starflx wrote;
2006-02-15 03:00:52 UTC
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Starflx wrote;
[...]
I build it with Visual Studio .Net 2003, from the command line. There
should be a .sln file for VS.Net 2003 as part of the release. I run a batch
file from the command line to set my environment, then run nmake to create
the .exe and .dll. When I want to make all builds, I run a makeall.bat and
supply the target directory where to copy everything needed for a general
release. Those builds include Blat Lite and yEnc versions that are not
normally distributed.

Gilles Vollant, author of WinImage and other tools, has compiled Blat for
AMD64 using VS.Net 2005, so it is possible to do. I've thought about
installing it on my system at home, but the only copy I have access to is
the office's. I may yet, to see what changes are needed in the sources and
build files.
namtog
2006-02-15 14:01:14 UTC
Greetings,

Chip wrote;
"I build it with Visual Studio .Net 2003"
I'm downloading Visual Studio Net Professional 2003
as I type this. I hope this is the package you are
referring to. Will let you now how it works out.

I only want to make one small change to Blat, nothing
of any importance. And I should admit I simply want to
see it build for myself :)

Thanks,
Namtog.
starf1x
2006-02-15 14:37:12 UTC
Might be a good idea if you get the batch files frm Chip.
He wrote he was using batch files.

Kind Regards, Starf1x
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Chip wrote;
namtog
2006-02-15 18:45:38 UTC
Greetings,

Starflx wrote;
"Might be a good idea if you get the batch files frm Chip.
He wrote he was using batch files."

Really good idea. I'm going to ask for them right now.

Chip wrote in 8268;
"There should be a .sln file for VS.Net 2003 as part of the release.
I run a batch file from the command line to set my environment,
then run nmake to create the .exe and .dll. When I want to
make all builds, I run a makeall.bat and supply the target directory
where to copy everything needed for a general release."

Chip if you would be so kind as to zip your batch files and
send them to me. This way I will try to duplicate your procedure
as close as I can. I already have a copy of nmake.exe. Blat.sln
is included in the source files. It starts;
"Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 8.00"
I suspect this is the .sln to use.

When you get a chance, no hurry,
Namtog
starf1x
2006-02-22 19:29:11 UTC
Thanks to the excellent tip of namtog I was able to compile the 2.5.0
executable and the dll, both with vs2003
Via the GUI :P

I've tested it, and yEnc also works like a charm, my posts are now
visible on the (test) news server, as was not the case with the
version without the yEnc part.

Chip & Namtog, both my thanks for your help.
Post by Chip
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Starflx wrote;