What is the Maximum No. of Mail Id can be used in blat
divine_auro
2005-02-23 06:37:22 UTC
Dear Member,

Can any one tell me what is the maximum mail_id can taken by the
blat if you are not using group but send mail with comma separated.

Regards

Biswajit
2005-02-23 12:59:20 UTC
Hey divine_auro,

On Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 1:37:22 AM you wrote

d> Can any one tell me what is the maximum mail_id can taken by the
d> blat if you are not using group but send mail with comma separated.

Blat has no limit.

You may run into the command line limit if you are putting all the
eMail addresses there (each OS has a different limit.)

One way around this is to create a file with one eMail address per
line, then point Blat to it with the "-tf eMail-file.txt" option.

The SMTP Server will probably limit of the number of addresses you can
send one message to, but you can use the "-maxnames ###" option to
tell Blat to only send to ### at a time.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Biswajit Mohanty

2005-02-24 04:15:45 UTC
Post by Biswajit Mohanty
[...]
First, which version are you using? There are older versions that do have a
limit, based on the length of the email addresses (number of bytes), not on
the number of addresses. If you do not have version 2.40, then please get
this from www.blat.net. With this version there is no limit to the number
of email addresses you may send to, but your server might.

Biswajit Mohanty

2005-02-24 12:48:32 UTC
Post by Chip
Post by Biswajit Mohanty
[...]
Chip
Dear Chip,
I am using the version 1.9.4 of blat.So can you please put some light on
this area. What is the limit on this version . So if I know the limit I
can upgrade the version.I am just waiting for your reply.
Regards
Biswajit
The limit in version 1.9.4 is 256 bytes. The OS also has a command line
length limit, which I think is 256 for WinNT.

Biswajit Mohanty
2005-02-28 06:59:29 UTC
Post by Chip
First, which version are you using? There are older versions that do have a
limit, based on the length of the email addresses (number of bytes), not on
the number of addresses. If you do not have version 2.40, then please get
this from www.blat.net. With this version there is no limit to the number
of email addresses you may send to, but your server might.
Chip
Dear Chip,
I am using the version 1.9.4 of blat.So can you please put some light on
this area. What is the limit on this version . So if I know the limit I
can upgrade the version.I am just waiting for your reply.
Regards
Biswajit
The limit in version 1.9.4 is 256 bytes. The OS also has a command line
length limit, which I think is 256 for WinNT.

Chip

=========

Dear,

Can you please let me know how to calculate the byte size.

Regards
Biswajit
2005-02-28 13:23:39 UTC
Post by Chip
Post by Chip
[...]
Count the number of characters in your string. I do not know how this can
be done with the software you want to develop with, but I suggest you
download Blat version 2.40, move your email addresses to a temp file, and
use the -tf <tempfile> option.

Biswajit Mohanty
2005-03-03 04:54:55 UTC
Dear Chip,

I am using blat through my program. Through the program I called the blat and give the parameter of mail ids.I am providing you with complete emailid string. Kindly check and revert if the size of the string specified should go through with version 1.9.4.

Image-Helpdesk.HLL-***@anyfever.com|***@anyfever.com|***@mindtree.com|***@anyfever.com|HLL-Bangalore.Planning-***@anyfever.com

If we specify only the first three email addresses, the users recieve the mail along with the attachments.Otherwise they will just recieve the mail without any attachments.

Also let us know,how can we get hold of version 2.4.0.Is it a freeware or shareware.

Thanks.

F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
2005-03-03 07:02:19 UTC
Hi folks;

Can u give me an example that uses a POP3 account and sends mail one by one?

I tried that one but blat generated a kind of SMTP error. Such as didn't like bla bla. I set my username and password so what is the problem?

Blat ileti.txt -tf kime.txt -maxNames 1 -server mail.xxx.com -pu Ali -ppw Veli

2005-03-03 17:02:28 UTC
Hey Biswajit,

On Wednesday, March 2, 2005 at 11:54:55 PM you wrote

BM> Also let us know,how can we get hold of version 2.4.0.Is it a
BM> freeware or shareware.

You can get it by following the Download link on www.blat.net
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
namtog
2005-03-03 18:26:18 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Hey Biswajit,
BM> Also let us know,how can we get hold of version 2.4.0.Is it a
BM> freeware or shareware.
You can get it by following the Download link on www.blat.net
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Greetings,

Most of you know this but it doesn't hurt to mention
it once in a while.

It's also freeware of the best kind. The source code is
available. Chip even releases the build file! How
many packages can you say that about.

Blat is one of the best deals for windows users on the
net. The support here at Yahoo Groups is far better
than many commercial software packages provide.

Can't say enough good about Blat.

Thanks to all who have contributed,
Namtog
Corp Library
2005-03-03 21:34:21 UTC
Namtog,
Post by namtog
Can't say enough good about Blat.
Hear, hear! A virtual toast to our fearless Blat development and support
team!

Malcolm
Qe'van, Bard of Nor
2005-03-04 06:19:55 UTC
Quoting namtog..
Post by namtog
It's also freeware of the best kind. The source code is
available. Chip even releases the build file! How
many packages can you say that about.
Nearly every linux package in existence. :)
--
Qe'van, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/

... 'I seem to be subject to irregularly timed fits of Avuncularity.' Rod

LD 2004-11-10
2005-01-02
Hamilton, Robert L
2005-03-03 12:22:12 UTC
We got BLAT 2.4 from www.sourceforge.net

Try http://sourceforge.net/projects/blat/

bobh

Image-Helpdesk.HLL-***@anyfever.com|***@anyfever.com|an

c***@att.net
2005-03-03 16:00:49 UTC
Post by Chip
Post by Chip
[...]
With Regards
Biswajit
91-9886501695
Blat is free, and you can use it as a direct replacement for version 1.9.4.

The length of your email addresses listed above is 173 bytes, leaving you with only ~80 bytes for all other options, which would explain why your attachments are not sent; the file was not found because the string was cut short.

This problem you are having can be fixed by using version 2.4.0 and its -tf option. Moving the email addresses to a temp file will shrink your command line length so your attachment will be sent, plus you can increase the number of email addresses as needed.
c***@att.net
2005-03-03 16:16:54 UTC
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Hi folks;
Can u give me an example that uses a POP3 account and sends mail one by one?
I tried that one but blat generated a kind of SMTP error. Such as didn't
like bla bla. I set my username and password so what is the problem?
Blat ileti.txt -tf kime.txt -maxNames 1 -server mail.xxx.com -pu zzz -ppw
yyy
Change the -server to -serverPOP3, and make sure the server name is correct for your POP3.
F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
2005-03-04 02:05:17 UTC
First of all i want to tell why i'm here. I have a site and about 800 forum users. Rarely ( 2-3 times in 2 years) i sent mass messages to them. I used Outlook and my main POP3 account. I got some unexcepted results. For example my ISP don't let too much address in "To" section. This is not so big problem. My main problem was some mail services added my address to their "BlackList" i think. Such as Hotmail. My normal mails started to go "Junk Box"as mass ones. So i thought, if i send mass mails ONE by ONE (just 1 address in to section) my mails (with a new address) won't go in "Junk Box. Then i found Blat with MaxNames option.

Well, is here right place for me? Is there any other -easy- solution for me?

Plus, i found this very active group. So really wonder about why you people love blat so much. As i see, your and my reasons are not same. What is yours?

Thanks in advance...

Qe'van, Bard of Nor
2005-03-04 06:30:11 UTC
Quoting F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR..
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Plus, i found this very active group. So really wonder about why you
people love blat so much. As i see, your and my reasons are not same.
What is yours?
Back in the mid 1990's I needed a way to send
email and pager notifications when monitoring
scripts detected out-of-bounds conditions on MS-
Windows machines. BLAT was simple to use,
effective and free.
--
Qe'van, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/
http://texasfilk.home.comcast.net/

... 'I'm not hiding. I'm right here.' -- Danny

LD 2004-11-10
2005-01-02
2005-03-04 16:14:54 UTC
Hey F.,

On Thursday, March 3, 2005 at 9:05:17 PM you wrote

FZK> First of all i want to tell why i'm here. I have a site and about
FZK> 800 forum users. Rarely ( 2-3 times in 2 years) i sent mass
FZK> messages to them. I used Outlook and my main POP3 account. I got
FZK> some unexcepted results. For example my ISP don't let too much
FZK> address in "To" section. This is not so big problem. My main
FZK> problem was some mail services added my address to their
FZK> "BlackList" i think. Such as Hotmail. My normal mails started to
FZK> go "Junk Box"as mass ones. So i thought, if i send mass mails ONE
FZK> by ONE (just 1 address in to section) my mails (with a new
FZK> address) won't go in "Junk Box. Then i found Blat with MaxNames
FZK> option.

FZK> Well, is here right place for me?

It is certainly not the wrong place for you...

FZK> Is there any other -easy- solution for me?

You could use the BCc feature of any Mail Client (even Blat) which is
what I would suggest anyway.

FZK> Plus, i found this very active group. So really wonder about why
FZK> you people love blat so much. As i see, your and my reasons are
FZK> not same. What is yours?

I spent years looking for a quick easy Win32 way to automate sending
an SMTP message like I could in Unix. I tend to automate as much of
what I am doing as possible, and sending notices/alerts is a very
useful feature.

At my current location, I even use Blat in a login script across 56k
lines, so it being small is a must.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
How do you get holy water?... Boil the hell out of it!
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
2005-03-04 18:07:32 UTC
I tried Maxnames 1 with "To" but all recipients see other's adddresses. So i think BCC with MaxNames will
send one by one but header will include all addresses again. So (ie) Hotmail will think it's a mass mail,
again.

I want that program will send mail one by one and To or Bcc section will ONLY include one mail address. I
thought BLAT reads recipients file and add only one address to "To" or "BCC" section with MaxNames option. But
as i see, i'm wrong.
2005-03-04 19:56:15 UTC
Hey Zafer,

On Friday, March 4, 2005 at 1:07:32 PM you wrote

FZK> I tried Maxnames 1 with "To" but all recipients see other's
FZK> adddresses. So i think BCC with MaxNames will
FZK> send one by one but header will include all addresses
FZK> again. So (ie) Hotmail will think it's a mass mail,
FZK> again.

FZK> I want that program will send mail one by one and To or
FZK> Bcc section will ONLY include one mail address. I
FZK> thought BLAT reads recipients file and add only one address
FZK> to "To" or "BCC" section with MaxNames option. But
FZK> as i see, i'm wrong.

You could do that fairly easily with a batch file.

Put all your addresses in a file (one per line). Use the "for" command
to iterate through the list file sending one message with Blat for
each line/address.

I have an example on the www.blat.net web site doing something
similar (I have the addresses in the batch file...)

http://www.blat.net/examples/FORinDO.html
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
2005-03-06 07:05:21 UTC
Thank you Tim. But I dunno how to edit this one for my needs. =)

Blat don't have a Front-End? Such as RazorLame of Lame. It could be good for newbies such as me and helps
Blat to reach more people that don't know/like command line + scripting. =)
namtog
2005-03-06 14:23:50 UTC
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Blat to reach more people that don't know/like command line +
scripting. =)

Greetings,

There are Blat front end tools. Blatguy was recently discussed here.
The bottom line is that Blat is a command line email engine. It will
take a investment from the user to benefit from it. The reward is a
powerful tool.

I'm glad that Group Mail will serve your needs. If you continue to
find new ways to use email Blat may one day be of service to you.

Happy email,
Namtog
Qe'van, Bard of Nor
2005-03-06 15:18:33 UTC
Quoting F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR..
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Blat don't have a Front-End? Such as RazorLame of Lame. It could be
good for newbies such as me and helps Blat to reach more people that
don't know/like command line + scripting. =)
Well, blat /is/ supposed to be a command-line mailer. It is
doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It does it very
well.

We've all been newbies at one time or another. You'll get it.
:)

Blat is a tool. Command lines and scripting are also tools.
If a tool does not fit your needs or requirements you have
choices of

Using a different tool
or
Learning how to use the current one
or
Creating your own

Back in the day I had not concept of a GUI, cut/paste, drag-
and-drop. I learned.

I needed to connect to BBS via modem. I learned how.

For the life of me I couldn't understand the concept of an
array. I learned.

This new program called 'Mosaic' came out with hyperlinks and
all that. I learned how to use it.

I wanted a decent scripting language for dos/windows.
I found a better tool in perl.

I wanted a better shell than CMD.
I found cygwin.

I needed a way to convert monitoring information into SNMP
traps to send to a SNMP console. I invented my own gateway
(in perl) to do that.
--
Qe'van, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/
http://texasfilk.home.comcast.net/

... They have to be able to see it, to eat it. - Syndi

LD 2004-11-10
2005-01-02
2005-03-06 23:47:32 UTC
Hey F.,

On Sunday, March 6, 2005 at 2:05:21 AM you wrote

FZK> Thank you Tim. But I dunno how to edit this one for my needs. =)

Ok, how about this.

,----- [ Try a batch file that looks like this ]
@FOR /F "eol=; tokens=*" %%i IN ( addresses.txt ) DO (
Blat message.txt -bcc %%i -s "Subject here" -log blat.log
)
`-----

You can use your own Blat line in place of what I used...

,----- [ addresses.txt looks like this ]
`-----

FZK> Blat don't have a Front-End? Such as RazorLame of Lame. It could
FZK> be good for newbies such as me and helps Blat to reach more
FZK> people that don't know/like command line + scripting. =)

Well, Blat's target is command line / scripting...
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
When in doubt, think.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
FZK
2005-03-07 00:18:09 UTC
Thank you Tim, it works very well. So helpful people here, thank you all.

namtog
2005-03-04 14:46:07 UTC
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Well, is here right place for me? Is there any other -easy- solution for me?
Greetings,
Check out Group Mail, the free version may be all you need;
http://www.infacta.com/gm.asp?a=spfom
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Plus, i found this very active group. So really wonder about
why you people love blat so much. As i see, your and my reasons are
not same. What is yours?
Post by F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
Thanks in advance...
I'm a web head and Blat allows me to use way cool Perl (and other)
scripts on my hobby sites. With a DSL connection and WINXP I now
have a platform that is fast and stable enough to avoid remote
hosting for minor sites.

As example my sweetheart and I both own our own homes. She lives
with her son about ten minutes from me. Neither one of us really
likes the idea of selling our house. Besides, I doubt she wants an
old coot like me who keeps strange hours hanging around all that
often.

One of the problems with this arrangement was missed appointments,
forgotten dates etc. The sort of thing I would usually pop up on the
fridge with a magnet.

I found a nice little calendar program and it sends out reminders,
it's much like a virtual refrigerator. It's easy for either one of
us to pop in a diner with the Smith's post. Then we both get a email
7 and then 1 day before. This helps with the sort of appointments
that are far to easy to forget if reminded by a phone conversation.

Until I found Blat there really wasn't a email engine I was happy
with. Flexibility and security issues come to mind.

Blat adds value to a very important part of my life, I've grown fond
of it.

Blat booster,
Namtog
F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
2005-03-04 17:50:09 UTC
It's a student organization. Brings together (old and new) students of a historical school. It's Turkish.

Zafer; what's you forum subject? Doesn't appear to be in English.

bobh

[...]

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Hamilton, Robert L
2005-03-04 18:44:13 UTC
You have to run BLAT from some sort of script program which reads the address file and executes BLAT for each address. If each individual record in the email list has more than one email, separate them by comma.

We ran into the same problem. . .

bobh

F. Zafer KAYIKÇILAR
2005-03-04 20:00:33 UTC
Group Mail (Thanks to namtog) seems as a solution for me, i'll try it. Do you have script that u told about and did u try it? If u did i want to learn your comments about performance.

Hamilton, Robert L
2005-03-04 14:43:53 UTC

Hamilton, Robert L
2005-03-04 21:07:51 UTC
We use OBJREXX which is open source. And it works great; I can send some examples....

bobh