how do i run balt?? Server setting changes....
bhandari_amit2003
2004-06-23 01:51:35 UTC
Hi Guys, I am totally new to BLAT. In our organisation BLAT is used
in a database stored procedure to email the user that the database
refresh has taken place succesfully. Orgnisation changed email from
xx-energy.com to xyz.net.au . Now emails are not coming through.

I was told by the mail person that the email server setting have
changed... How do i change these settings in blat. On the server all
i found was a blat.exe in the c:\winnt\system32\

No other help files or methods to run the exe. If i go in commnad
prompt and run blat.exe it just comes up with help information.

Considering me to be a totally new to this...

1. how do i check what server settings it is using for emailing
2. How do i change those settings to the new server.
3. Is this done at a blat level or seom other level

This is quiet important.
Can you please copy email to ***@yahoo.co.uk

I am copying the stored procedure...to show what it is trying to
do.. this is a Micorosft SQL Server 2000 stored procedure but it is
fairly obvious what is it trying to do...

REATE procedure up_sendmail --- 02/19/2001
(@to_recipient nvarchar(500) = NULL, /*send mail to these
recipients*/
@msgsubject nvarchar(100) = NULL, /*subject of mail
message*/
@msgtext nvarchar(200) = NULL, /*body of mail
message or file name containing mail message*/
/*this depends on the flag
set on next parameter*/
@flag nvarchar(1) = NULL ) /*flag (t or f) indicating
(t)ext or (f)file*/

as

declare @cmdshellstr nvarchar(500) /* */

IF (@to_recipient = NULL AND @msgsubject = NULL AND @msgtext = NULL)
BEGIN
return --no parameters specified
END

IF (@flag = 't' or @flag is null) /*msgtext parameter
contains text instead of file name*/
BEGIN
/***********************************/
/*send output message to file*/
/**********************************/
select @cmdshellstr = "echo "+@msgtext + " >
c:\up_sendmail.txt"
print @cmdshellstr
exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmdshellstr

/**********************************/
/*deliver mail*/
/**********************************/
select @cmdshellstr = " c:\winnt\system32\blat.exe
c:\up_sendmail.txt -s "+'"'+
@msgsubject + '"' + " -t " + @to_recipient
--print @cmdshellstr
exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmdshellstr, NO_OUTPUT
END

ELSE /*msgtext parameter contains a file name*/
BEGIN
select @cmdshellstr = "c:\winnt\system32
\blat.exe "+@msgtext+" -s "+'"'+ @msgsubject + '"' + " -t " +
@to_recipient
--print @cmdshellstr
exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmdshellstr, NO_OUTPUT
END

return (0) -- up_sendmail

2004-06-23 11:52:22 UTC
Hey bhandari_amit2003,

On Tuesday, June 22, 2004 at 9:51:35 PM you wrote

b> Hi Guys, I am totally new to BLAT. In our organisation BLAT is used
b> in a database stored procedure to email the user that the database
b> refresh has taken place succesfully. Orgnisation changed email from
b> xx-energy.com to xyz.net.au . Now emails are not coming through.

b> I was told by the mail person that the email server setting have
b> changed... How do i change these settings in blat. On the server all
b> i found was a blat.exe in the c:\winnt\system32\

b> No other help files or methods to run the exe. If i go in commnad
b> prompt and run blat.exe it just comes up with help information.

b> Considering me to be a totally new to this...

b> 1. how do i check what server settings it is using for emailing
b> 2. How do i change those settings to the new server.
b> 3. Is this done at a blat level or seom other level

b> This is quiet important.
b> Can you please copy email to ***@yahoo.co.uk

b> I am copying the stored procedure...to show what it is trying to
b> do.. this is a Micorosft SQL Server 2000 stored procedure but it is
b> fairly obvious what is it trying to do...

Interesting
====8<---------------- snip
b> /**********************************/
b> /*deliver mail*/
b> /**********************************/
b> select @cmdshellstr = " c:\winnt\system32\blat.exe
b> c:\up_sendmail.txt -s "+'"'+
b> @msgsubject + '"' + " -t " + @to_recipient
b> --print @cmdshellstr
b> exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmdshellstr, NO_OUTPUT
b> END

b> ELSE /*msgtext parameter contains a file name*/
b> BEGIN
b> select @cmdshellstr = "c:\winnt\system32
b> \blat.exe "+@msgtext+" -s "+'"'+ @msgsubject + '"' + " -t " +
b> @to_recipient
b> --print @cmdshellstr
b> exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmdshellstr, NO_OUTPUT
b> END

b> return (0) -- up_sendmail

This is showing Blat is using the parms stored in the Registry.
At a CMD prompt, try typing
blat -profile
,----- [ You should get something back like this ]
| Blat v2.2.2 (build : Feb 26 2004 10:37:13)
|
| Profile(s) for all users of this computer --
| SMTP: server "username" 1 25
`-----

To change it type
blat -install <new_server> <new_from_address>

To get Blat to log what it is doing, add "-debug -log blat.log" to the
lines that call Blat.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

2004-06-23 11:53:45 UTC
Post by bhandari_amit2003
[...]
On the server itself, run regedit. Traverse to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Public Domain\Blat

At that level, you should find a value named SMTP Server. Change this
value's data to the new email server.

Amit
2004-06-23 23:52:15 UTC
HI Guys, Thanks for your response.. I have made the changes I will have to wait till tonight to see if the email regarding database backup does come through to me. I went via the tim way...i.e blat -install... then had a look at regedit and it had changed it thier as well. now i need to see if it works. thanks guys... you have been very helpful. I will let you know tommrow if it works. fingers crossed...
Regards

Amit
Message: 2
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:52:22 -0400
From: Tim Musson <***@sdf.lonestar.org>
Subject: Re: how do i run balt?? Server setting changes....

`-----

To change it type
blat -install <new_server> <new_from_address>

To get Blat to log what it is doing, add "-debug -log blat.log" to the
lines that call Blat.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Amit Bhandari
PeopleSoft Practise
IBM Business Consulting Services Australia

q***@yahoo.com
2004-06-24 00:12:26 UTC
Carl Sagan, Amit & Bill Nye puff their pipes
and discuss "[blat] Re: how do i run balt?? Server setting cha"..
Post by Amit
HI Guys, Thanks for your response.. I have made the changes I will have to
wait till tonight to see if the email regarding database backup does come
through to me. I went via the tim way...i.e blat -install... then had a
look at regedit and it had changed it thier as well. now i need to see if
it works. thanks guys... you have been very helpful. I will let you know
tommrow if it works. fingers crossed... Regards
blat -install does the same thing as editing rhe registry
manually...
--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/

... 'Never underestimate the power of a lucky punch!'
Quoshara

Ross Kovelman
2004-06-24 13:16:09 UTC
Is there a way to get blat to run as a service so no one has to be
logged in to a machine?
Thanks

2004-06-24 13:41:12 UTC
Hey Ross,

On Thursday, June 24, 2004 at 9:16:09 AM you wrote

RK> Is there a way to get blat to run as a service so no one has to be
RK> logged in to a machine?

There is nothing in Blat to do this, but the OS may let you, or
another application. I know you can run Blat from a web page, and
others have it working with things like HP OpenView NNM to send
alerts.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Ross Kovelman
2004-06-24 14:25:28 UTC
Can you point me to a certain place to read up on this web thing?
Hey Ross,
Ross Kovelman
2004-06-24 15:38:27 UTC
Is there any way to have blat send attachments. For some odd reason it
can not send this txt file correctly.
Thanks
Ross

2004-06-25 11:41:02 UTC
Hey Ross,

On Thursday, June 24, 2004 at 11:38:27 AM you wrote

RK> Is there any way to have blat send attachments. For some odd
RK> reason it can not send this txt file correctly.

I have never had a problem sending attachments...

When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses - it is never
a good idea to send that information to a public list.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
What are you doing?!? The message is over, GO AWAY!
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Ross Kovelman
2004-06-25 13:44:34 UTC
Hello,
I am using Blat 2.2.2 and when i type in
blat -attach (location of file) -to (email) -s (subject)
It can not understand location of file but if i take out -attach it send
me an email but the email comes up with specail characters. Mind you
the file i am sending is a txt file. I have tried -debug and that
doesnt work. I belive i get file not found, not sure.
Thanks
Ross
Hey Ross,
2004-06-25 16:10:43 UTC
Hey Ross,

On Friday, June 25, 2004 at 9:44:34 AM you wrote

RK> I am using Blat 2.2.2 and when i type in
RK> blat -attach (location of file) -to (email) -s (subject)
RK> It can not understand location of file but if i take out -attach it send
RK> me an email but the email comes up with specail characters. Mind you
RK> the file i am sending is a txt file. I have tried -debug and that
RK> doesnt work. I belive i get file not found, not sure.

Qe'van answered most of your issues.

I am curious about the 'special characters' you get. You say it is a
text file, what do you mean by that? Is it a MS Word doc? If so, that
is not a text file, but a binary file.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Your mouse has moved. Windows must now reboot. Click OK to continue.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Ross Kovelman
2004-06-26 00:14:11 UTC
This is a document that is is written in notepad and saved with a .txt
extension
~Ross
Hey Ross,
2004-06-26 00:42:16 UTC
Hey Ross,

On Friday, June 25, 2004 at 8:14:11 PM you wrote

RK> This is a document that is is written in notepad and saved with a .txt
RK> extension

Sorry Ross, the list will not pass attachments... I have played some
with unicode files now and will play more in the future. Thanks
though.

btw, I agree with your other post that it would be best to send it as
an attachment. Unless of course the whole point is to send it as the
message body. :-)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

q***@yahoo.com
2004-06-25 16:22:39 UTC
Carl Sagan, Tim Musson & Bill Nye puff their pipes
and discuss "Re: [blat] having it send an attachment"..
Post by Tim Musson
I am curious about the 'special characters' you get. You say it is a
text file, what do you mean by that? Is it a MS Word doc? If so, that is
not a text file, but a binary file.
I've run into an issue lately...not with blat but
with something similar where a 'text file' was
needed as an input for a perl script I wrote. The
script was failing...in a way that indicated bad
data from the input file.

I was *assured* by the people involved that this
was a plain text file...and her print-out she gave
me looked ok. That's all it was....just text.
She'd produced it in notepad...

Sure, it was a plain text file, but it was a
double-byte UNICODE text file, which my perl
script was not expecting. I'm wondering if that
could be such an issue here as well?
--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/
http://texasfilk.home.comcast.net/

... Try Sanity Lite, Half the marbles of normal
sanity!

2004-06-25 16:32:08 UTC
Hey qevan,

On Friday, June 25, 2004 at 12:22:39 PM you wrote

qyc> I've run into an issue lately...not with blat but
qyc> with something similar where a 'text file' was
qyc> needed as an input for a perl script I wrote. The
qyc> script was failing...in a way that indicated bad
qyc> data from the input file.

qyc> I was *assured* by the people involved that this
qyc> was a plain text file...and her print-out she gave
qyc> me looked ok. That's all it was....just text.
qyc> She'd produced it in notepad...

qyc> Sure, it was a plain text file, but it was a
qyc> double-byte UNICODE text file, which my perl
qyc> script was not expecting. I'm wondering if that
qyc> could be such an issue here as well?

I don't think you can call a double-byt Unicode file a plain text
file... I have always considered plain text as only having ascii chars
from 32-127...

Good point though, I wonder what you would get if you use the 'type'
command on something like that.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Taxpayer: Someone who doesn't have to take a public service exam to
work for the government.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

q***@yahoo.com
2004-06-25 16:56:41 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
qyc> Sure, it was a plain text file, but it was a
qyc> double-byte UNICODE text file, which my perl
qyc> script was not expecting. I'm wondering if that
qyc> could be such an issue here as well?
I don't think you can call a double-byt Unicode file a plain text
file... I have always considered plain text as only having ascii chars
from 32-127...
Neither do I. But she was adamant, and she was the customer..
:)
Post by Tim Musson
Good point though, I wonder what you would get if you use the 'type'
command on something like that.
Ok...I used notepad to create a Unicode text file called
test.txt.
Post by Tim Musson
From a command window...
C:\>type test.txt
This is a test
Post by Tim Musson
From a Cygwin bash shell...
$ cat test.txt
ÿ_T h i s i s a t e s t
--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/
http://texasfilk.home.comcast.net/

... 'Oh, I frequently call Todd a Mother-something..- Qe'van

2004-06-25 17:13:18 UTC
Hey qevan,

On Friday, June 25, 2004 at 12:56:41 PM you wrote

qyc> Neither do I. But she was adamant, and she was the customer..
qyc> :)

Customers can be such a problem, eh. :-)
Post by Tim Musson
Good point though, I wonder what you would get if you use the 'type'
command on something like that.
qyc> Ok...I used notepad to create a Unicode text file called
qyc> test.txt.
Post by Tim Musson
From a command window...
C:\>>type test.txt
qyc> This is a test
Post by Tim Musson
From a Cygwin bash shell...
qyc> $ cat test.txt
qyc> ÿ_T h i s i s a t e s t

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, what OS are you using?
(Can you send that file to me directly so I can play with it?)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Boat: A hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours
money.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

2004-06-26 16:40:39 UTC
Run regedit and export any key. This will create a unicode text file.

q***@yahoo.com
2004-06-25 17:43:39 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
qyc> Ok...I used notepad to create a Unicode text file called
qyc> test.txt.
Post by Tim Musson
From a command window...
C:\>>type test.txt
qyc> This is a test
Post by Tim Musson
From a Cygwin bash shell...
qyc> $ cat test.txt
qyc> ÿ_T h i s i s a t e s t
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, what OS are you using?
(Can you send that file to me directly so I can play with it?)
Win2K. Same applies for XP though.

notepad File/Save As...there's a drop down for 'Encoding' that
has choices for 'ANSI', 'Unicode', 'Unicode big endian' &
'UTF-8'.

test.txt on it's way to you privately.
--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.home.comcast.net/poetry/
http://texasfilk.home.comcast.net/

... 'Anything you say will be held against you...- David
Masters!'

Phillip Lynch
2004-06-25 23:59:16 UTC
Blat itself doesn't care is the text file is unicode or not, it just makes it harder for the
recipient of the message if it is (a unicode file).

We have this problem with a number of logs we generate and send via blat as the body - we've
observed that more and more applications output logs in unicode.

So we routinely now use the type command to covert a (potentially) unicode file to 'plain'
text and send the latter (and nothing breaks if the original file is unicode or 'plain' text)
viz.

type unicodefile.txt > plaintextfile.txt
Post by Tim Musson
command on something like that.
Ok...I used notepad to create a Unicode text file called
test.txt.
From a command window...
C:\>type test.txt
This is a test
From a Cygwin bash shell...
$ cat test.txt
ÿ_T h i s i s a t e s t
Ross Kovelman
2004-06-26 00:20:10 UTC
My other point is instead of worring if its a ACSI file or UNICODE just
have it send as an attachment and not into the body of the message..
~Ross
Post by Tim Musson
command on something like that.
Ok...I used notepad to create a Unicode text file called
test.txt.
From a command window...
C:\>type test.txt
This is a test
From a Cygwin bash shell...
$ cat test.txt
ÿ_T h i s i s a t e s t
2004-06-26 16:32:58 UTC
Post by Ross Kovelman
Hello,
I am using Blat 2.2.2 and when i type in
blat -attach (location of file) -to (email) -s (subject)
It can not understand location of file but if i take out -attach it send
me an email but the email comes up with specail characters. Mind you
the file i am sending is a txt file. I have tried -debug and that
doesnt work. I belive i get file not found, not sure.
Thanks
Ross
Remove the -attach from the above command line in order to send the file as
your message body. If you really want it to be attached, then change your
command line to be as follows:

blat - -body "|" -attach (location of file) -to (email) -s (subject).

q***@yahoo.com
2004-06-25 15:05:51 UTC
Carl Sagan, Ross Kovelman & Bill Nye puff their pipes
Post by Ross Kovelman
I am using Blat 2.2.2 and when i type in
blat -attach (location of file) -to (email) -s (subject)
It can not understand location of file but if i take out -attach it send
me an email but the email comes up with specail characters. Mind you the
file i am sending is a txt file. I have tried -debug and that doesnt
work. I belive i get file not found, not sure. Thanks Ross
The first parameter on the command line needs to be the name
of a text file to use as the body of the message or a hyphen
all by itself telling blat that the body of the message will
be containted in a -body parameter.

blat - -to email.address.com -s "Hey, I got it!" -attach
c:\path\to\attached.file -body "Please check out my new and
improved Blat command line!"
--
Qe'van the Unclothed, Bard of Nor
Qe'van's Poetry Page

In fact, if I were in your shoes I would grab a
bottle of champagne and shoot me.
- Garak

2004-06-25 11:40:01 UTC
Hey Ross,

On Thursday, June 24, 2004 at 10:25:28 AM you wrote

RK> Can you point me to a certain place to read up on this web thing?

Look in the \docs\cgi directory that came with the Blat distro.
You can also look through the list archives.
And you can look at the Blat web site (www.blat.net).
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Ykai
2004-06-25 23:36:53 UTC
Post by q***@yahoo.com
notepad File/Save As...there's a drop down for 'Encoding' that
has choices for 'ANSI', 'Unicode', 'Unicode big endian' &
'UTF-8'.
One possibilty to better "serve the customer" could be to make
Blat aware of the BOM
(http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM) in such a file
and either convert or complain specifically.

2004-06-26 00:43:32 UTC
Hey Ykai,
Post by q***@yahoo.com
notepad File/Save As...there's a drop down for 'Encoding' that
has choices for 'ANSI', 'Unicode', 'Unicode big endian' &
'UTF-8'.
Y> One possibilty to better "serve the customer" could be to make
Y> Blat aware of the BOM
Y> (http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM) in such a file
Y> and either convert or complain specifically.

Interesting idea!
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
How do you make Windows faster ? Throw it harder
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net