New file uploaded to blat
b***@yahoogroups.com
2002-11-30 21:17:39 UTC
Hello,

a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the blat
group.

File : /blat1.9.7.zip
Uploaded by : Harry_el_Fuerte <***@sci.fi>
Description : Blat 1.9.7 executable and blat.cpp source code. Quotes "Content-Type: %s; name=%s" name parameter, as requested by Sharon La'Reva.

You can access this file at the URL

Regards,

Harry_el_Fuerte <***@sci.fi>

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CBxunD/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/dkFolB/TM
Sharon La'Reva
2002-11-30 21:28:30 UTC
Hi Harry,

Excellent! Your fix worked a treat and now my filenames with spaces are being properly quoted.

Many thanks for the speedy fix, it's much apprectiated!
Post by b***@yahoogroups.com
Hello,
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the blat
group.
File : /blat1.9.7.zip
Description : Blat 1.9.7 executable and blat.cpp source code. Quotes "Content-Type: %s; name=%s" name parameter, as requested by Sharon La'Reva.
You can access this file at the URL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blat/files/blat1.9.7.zip
Regards,
Romson Christer
2002-12-02 11:40:09 UTC
Post by b***@yahoogroups.com
File : /blat1.9.7.zip
Description : Blat 1.9.7 executable and blat.cpp source code. Quotes
Sharon La'Reva.
Harry, we all appreciate what you're doing, but please don't give your
modified versions of blat names that look like they're official releases.
There will be plenty of confusion when/if there is an official release
called Blat 1.9.7 that is different from yours.

Christer Romson

Harri Pesonen
2002-12-02 22:35:00 UTC
I disagree... It is better to give clear version numbers so that we all know what version we are talking about. My first version was just "my" 1.9.4, but that caused confusion. That's why I did 1.9.5, 1.9.6 and now 1.9.7. I'm sure that when/if somebody makes an "official" Blat release, the version number will be bigger than mine. My "modified" versions are just "official" Blat versions with some bugs fixed and some new features added.

--
Harri Pesonen
http://www.nic.fi/~fuerte/

Description : Blat 1.9.7 executable and blat.cpp source code. Quotes
Sharon La'Reva.
Harry, we all appreciate what you're doing, but please don't give your
modified versions of blat names that look like they're official releases.
There will be plenty of confusion when/if there is an official release
called Blat 1.9.7 that is different from yours.

Christer Romson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

2002-12-02 23:06:55 UTC
Hey Harri,

I have to go with Christer on this one. The only 'official' release of
Blat are from Tim Charron - the official maintainer of the software.
Your releasing bug fixes independently does not make your code
official releases at all, it just confuses things. Now what would
happen if Tim Charron released his next version and called it 1.9.5
(which he should, except to avoid confusion with the files you have
been posting)? He does not read the list any more, and I would be
surprised if he would check YahooGroups Files section to see if
someone else is updating his code...

Why don't you post your files and prefix the file name with your name
or initials or something like that to show it is not the "official"
code?

HP> I disagree... It is better to give clear version numbers so that
HP> we all know what version we are talking about. My first version
HP> was just "my" 1.9.4, but that caused confusion. That's why I did
HP> 1.9.5, 1.9.6 and now 1.9.7. I'm sure that when/if somebody makes
HP> an "official" Blat release, the version number will be bigger than
HP> mine. My "modified" versions are just "official" Blat versions
HP> with some bugs fixed and some new features added.

HP> --
HP> Harri Pesonen

HP> > File : /blat1.9.7.zip
HP> > Uploaded by : Harry_el_Fuerte <***@sci.fi>
HP> > Description : Blat 1.9.7 executable and blat.cpp source code. Quotes
HP> > Sharon La'Reva.

HP> Harry, we all appreciate what you're doing, but please don't give
HP> your modified versions of blat names that look like they're
HP> official releases. There will be plenty of confusion when/if there
HP> is an official release called Blat 1.9.7 that is different from
HP> yours.

HP> Christer Romson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.61
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 2)
May I please be excused? My Brain is full.

Harri Pesonen
2002-12-02 23:36:48 UTC
I don't prefix my versions with initials or something because that would confuse me... I am using Blat.exe and Blat.dll just like all of you, and my version just has some "official" bugs fixed and some "unofficial" new features. I'm sure that everybody knows that 1.9.4 is the "official" version. I hope that Tim Charron takes my changes and releases 1.9.8 or something, but that is not going to happen for a while, if ever. I also hope that other C++ programmers take my source code and make it even better. I am using Blat.dll in one commercial program and in one uncommercial one. I don't understand the discussion about not updating Blat anymore, because it can be used for spam. I hate spam, but sure there are a lot better applications for that. My version does not crash if you have a lot of recipients... it makes it better for spam, but it also makes it more professional. Commercial applications should not crash ever.

L.Willms
2002-12-03 06:31:22 UTC
Post by Harri Pesonen
My version does not crash if you have a lot of recipients... it makes it
better for spam, but it also makes it more professional.

I need BLAT (as DLL) in a database application for a club with several
hundred members. It should be possible to send an email to all members in one
action, not in portions of 100.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main

Harry_el_Fuerte
2002-12-03 07:30:20 UTC
Post by Harri Pesonen
action, not in portions of 100.
I tested my version with 500 recipients in To/Cc and 10000 recipients
in Bcc. The limit of 500 recipients is because the SMTP header gets
too big (>32 kB ?), and SMTP server does not accept it.

-- Harri

L.Willms
2002-12-03 06:41:15 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Now what would
happen if Tim Charron released his next version and called it 1.9.5
(which he should, except to avoid confusion with the files you have
been posting)? He does not read the list any more, and I would be
surprised if he would check YahooGroups Files section to see if
someone else is updating his code...
I guess that since he doesn't care about BLAT anymore he would not publish a
new version by him.

Tim Charron took over maintenance of BLAT from some other programmers who
gave up maintaining BLAT before, probably in a similar way by just losing
interest.

Now, here we have two programmer who actively do develop enhancements to
BLAT, and why do they not combine to form a committee like in many other
projects? Maintaining the BLAT source using CVS?

Harry_el_Fuerte
2002-12-03 07:45:49 UTC
Post by L.Willms
Post by Tim Musson
Now what would
happen if Tim Charron released his next version and called it 1.9.5
(which he should, except to avoid confusion with the files you have
been posting)? He does not read the list any more, and I would be
surprised if he would check YahooGroups Files section to see if
someone else is updating his code...
I guess that since he doesn't care about BLAT anymore he would not publish a
new version by him.
I think that he cares about Blat but has the primary interest
elsewhere...
Post by L.Willms
gave up maintaining BLAT before, probably in a similar way by just losing
interest.
Yes. People make modifications when there is something that needs to
be done for them, and then lose interest when it works. I think that
it is important to post these modifications to source code.
Post by L.Willms
BLAT, and why do they not combine to form a committee like in many other
projects? Maintaining the BLAT source using CVS?
Personally I am not interested in doing something like this... it
would be an overkill for something so simple as Blat, having
basically only one source file, blat.cpp. I don't have CSV installed,
I have tried it once with Mozilla. But if somebody else wants to do
it, to take over maintaining Blat using CSV, it would be OK.

I would like to do some more cleaning up in Blat. The main function
still has several heap pointers that could be converted to Buf class.
I added "goto"s into main, not beautiful, but makes sure that all
these heap pointers are freed. The argument parsing checks some
arguments twice, not very elegant. And so on...

L.Willms
2002-12-03 08:00:56 UTC
Post by Harry_el_Fuerte
I added "goto"s into main,
Well, when you use the corresponding "come from"...

Toby Korn
2002-12-03 14:16:19 UTC
Has Tim C stated that he no longer cares about Blat anymore? I think
that a lot of words are being put into his mouth that he may not have
said.

Perhaps we should get word from Tim as to what his plans are.

My understanding is that the current version of Blat does not crash
when trying to use more than 100 recipients, but simply displays an
error message. Again, alot of the complaints and requests for
improvements that I hear on this list are that Blat is not SPAMing
fast enough.

Blat is not a SPAM tool. Please don't use it as one. In fact,
please don't use any other SPAM tool. There is too much SPAM going
around already.

If you have valid enhancements that do not involve increasing to
insane numbers the number of recipients, please do send them to Tim
to be included in the next release.

I am sure that if Tim has no intention of updating Blat to take care
of legitimate (non-SPAM) issues, that he will solicit assistance or
pass the maintenence on to someone.

In the interim, here is how this has worked over the years (and I've
been using Blat for years and have contributed to the code):

1. Users use Blat

2. Programmers enhance Blat by creating their own versions and
submitting those enhancements to Tim. Those personal versions are
not "Official" and should not be named similarly. In my opinion, it
is acceptable and preferable if you release a different version that
you state what Official version of Blat the code is based upon.

3. The Official release is updated and posted periodically based upon
the submissions provided as well as the modifications initiated by
the maintainer.

We all appreciate the efforts of all programmers, new to Blat as well
as those who have been around for a while. I do think that some
respect should be shown for a system that has worked well in the
past. Some respect should be shown for Tim Charron and the others who
have contributed to this project. Keep in mind that no one gets any
financial benefit from being involved in the development of Blat.

Feel free to enhance and share your independent versions of Blat.
Please do submit requests and suggestions to Tim for the Official
release.

Regards,
Toby Korn
Post by L.Willms
Post by L.Willms
gave up maintaining BLAT before, probably in a similar way by
just
Post by L.Willms
losing
Post by L.Willms
BLAT, and why do they not combine to form a committee like in
many
Post by L.Willms
other
Flávia Carvalho - UOL
2002-12-03 17:59:48 UTC
Hello,

I'm using Blat.exe with Windows NT, could I use that with UNIX???

Hope a return,

Flávia B. Carvalho - Tecnologia da Informação
Empresa Folha da Manhã S/A (Folha de São Paulo)
Mail: ***@ig.com.br - Tel.: (11) 224 - 7511

Harri Pesonen
2002-12-03 20:00:55 UTC
Yes, we need a word from Tim... we agree here.

Blat as spam tool: Yes, it is not one, we agree here as well. But adding support for insane number of recipients is good. Period. It has nothing to do with spam. I would like to stop talking about this spam issue... I use Blat in commercial database program, where it is possible to send messages (announcements etc.) to hundreds or thousands of recipients. Blat 1.9.4 had a fixed header buffer (and other buffers), that got overrun when there were many recipients (of course it is best to use Bcc in this case, and the header does not get any big). I do get some (indirect) financial benefit for making Blat as bug free and efficient as possible... :-)

So while we wait for a word from Tim, we can still improve the version by ourselves. And post patches to Files section, and build custom builds, etc. Now that there is an Unofficial section, it should not disturb anyone. And Tim can browse the Files section and take whatever changes he wants.

Ran Sasson @ I.O. Ltd.
2002-12-04 02:24:23 UTC
Harri
take it easy dude....
just saying thank you for doing stuff for everybody .
also , put Tubullar Bells on , personally i like "Guilty" (... which is from
another album....).
chill man. it's a public software from the "early ages" (not GNU as now a
days at SF).
it's a "public' development team , with no senior developer at this time (so
it seems).
give it TIME - I'm quite sure you will get your word and place .
there is common sense with what you are saying, but still things need to be
managed.
TakeItEasy ,
Ran Sasson

BTW, if there's not enough day light at this time at Finland,
you can always come to the middle-east, and get your-self blasted up with
everybody.

"If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself
knocked down.
But remember this:
A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by
conformity stays down for good. "

Thomas J. Watson
--------------------------
This message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and are
for
the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you are not the addressee
or
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use, or disclose this
communication
to others. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by
replying to
this message, and then delete it entirely from your system. Delivery of
this message
and any attachments to any person other than the intended recipient(s) is
not
intended in any way to waive confidentiality or a privilege. All personal
messages
express views only of the sender, which are not to be attributed to Finish
Line, and
may not be copied or distributed without this statement.
--------------------------

| Yes, we need a word from Tim... we agree here.
|
| Blat as spam tool: Yes, it is not one, we agree here as well. But adding
support for insane number of recipients is good. Period. It has nothing to
do with spam. I would like to stop talking about this spam issue... I use
Blat in commercial database program, where it is possible to send messages
(announcements etc.) to hundreds or thousands of recipients. Blat 1.9.4 had
a fixed header buffer (and other buffers), that got overrun when there were
many recipients (of course it is best to use Bcc in this case, and the
header does not get any big). I do get some (indirect) financial benefit for
making Blat as bug free and efficient as possible... :-)

| So while we wait for a word from Tim, we can still improve the version by
ourselves. And post patches to Files section, and build custom builds, etc.
Now that there is an Unofficial section, it should not disturb anyone. And
Tim can browse the Files section and take whatever changes he wants.

| --
| Harri Pesonen
| http://www.nic.fi/~fuerte/
| You should not underestimate the power of thickness - Kaoru Iwamoto

Release

L.Willms
2002-12-04 05:33:06 UTC
Post by Harry_el_Fuerte
I added "goto"s into main, not beautiful, but makes sure that all
these heap pointers are freed.
As you may have noted, I don't like GOTOs at all, and reading this makes me
worry about your additions. Isn't there a proper way of exception handling in
C++ as in Object Pascal with "try ... except .. finally"?

Harry_el_Fuerte
2002-12-04 08:29:05 UTC
Post by L.Willms
Post by Harry_el_Fuerte
I added "goto"s into main, not beautiful, but makes sure that all
these heap pointers are freed.
As you may have noted, I don't like GOTOs at all, and reading this makes me
worry about your additions. Isn't there a proper way of exception handling in
C++ as in Object Pascal with "try ... except .. finally"?
Yes there is, but Blat does not use exceptions, it just "return"ed
from main function, in various places, and before these return
statements there were various "free" calls. I moved all these "free"
calls into end, and added "goto"s. "goto"s are an temporary solution
to the problem. Replacing all heap pointers with Buf class (if
possible) would be the final solution, because these are freed
automatically (in deconstructor). There is also one file pointer,
something should be done with that.

I will look at these gotos later this week... the idea here is that
blat.dll will be more robust, it will not fill the heap in any case.
I am not saying that this happened in 1.9.4, but it was almost
impossible to be certain, because there were so many repeated "free"
calls everywhere.

Harri Pesonen
2002-12-02 23:39:53 UTC
It would be better if you released your source code for eBlat, I'm sure that it is better than Blat 1.9.4 or 1.9.7. We could all continue developing from that version.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get
SPTBG-BLAT
2002-12-03 00:46:48 UTC
It would be better if you released your source code for eBlat...
We could all continue developing from that version.
That sounds good but who would maintain these changes? Who will decide what
is fluff and what is a truly needed feature? Tim has done this for a
while... Maybe not always with the speed or to the liking of some of us. ;->
When you started making your changes, did you merge in those from what was
already posted to the file area? I'm guessing not (sorry haven't actually
looked) as they probably aren't something you need. I'm not saying we
shouldn't give out our custom builds to help others, but we could end up
with many builds with the same version numbers and dissimilar
features/fixes. This could confuse the casual visitor if we just post them,
and don't go out of our way to explain (and mark) that they are not an
official release. I do this by changing version info. Until recently I built
my custom builds as BLAT.EXE, but if you ran it with no args you could see
the version was say v1.94GWG and not the official one.
I'm sure that it is better than Blat 1.9.4 or 1.9.7.
Well it has some features that I wanted at the time... It is not "better"
than your v1.9.7 build.

I for one (and I'm sure everyone on this list) am very thankful for your
time and effort, so hopefully you will not take this thread the wrong way.
;-) We all want you (and others) to continue to contribute, we just need to
come up with a way to do it without confusing the casual visitors.

Gerald W. Gaston

chinnocent
2002-12-03 02:48:04 UTC
Greetings all Blater,

To avoid any confusion between the official version and any other
excellent but personal versions, I have created two folders
under 'files'.

One is named 'official' and should contain only official versions of
Blat.

The other is named 'unofficial' and should contain all other
personal, fixed and proposed versions.

Please note that the use of the term 'unofficial' does not imply any
opinion about the quality of the proposed work, only that it is not
an official release.

Yours in Blating

Christophe Henquin

Harri Pesonen
2002-12-03 06:27:59 UTC
Thanks, this was a good solution! :-)

Harry_el_Fuerte
2002-12-03 07:36:23 UTC
Post by SPTBG-BLAT
It would be better if you released your source code for eBlat...
We could all continue developing from that version.
That sounds good but who would maintain these changes? Who will decide what
is fluff and what is a truly needed feature?
Yes, this is the question... perhaps the developers could decide this
by themselves, by picking up the version that feels right for them,
and then making modifications to it.
Post by SPTBG-BLAT
Tim has done this for a
while... Maybe not always with the speed or to the liking of some of us. ;->
When you started making your changes, did you merge in those from what was
already posted to the file area? I'm guessing not (sorry haven't actually
looked) as they probably aren't something you need.
I used the official 1.9.4. Previously I did modifications (my own
DLL) to some older version, and I didn't know about this forum, so
those modifications were lost. Then some other did the DLL version as
well.
Post by SPTBG-BLAT
I'm not saying we
shouldn't give out our custom builds to help others, but we could end up
with many builds with the same version numbers and dissimilar
features/fixes.
True. But I think that it would be good to have all modification in
open source.
Post by SPTBG-BLAT
my custom builds as BLAT.EXE, but if you ran it with no args you could see
the version was say v1.94GWG and not the official one.
The new hierarchy in Files sections helps with this.
Post by SPTBG-BLAT
than your v1.9.7 build.
I for one (and I'm sure everyone on this list) am very thankful for your
time and effort, so hopefully you will not take this thread the wrong way.
;-) We all want you (and others) to continue to contribute, we just need to
come up with a way to do it without confusing the casual visitors.
Gerald W. Gaston
Agree...

b***@yahoogroups.com
2002-12-04 05:03:20 UTC
Hello,

a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the blat
group.

File : /Version_policy.txt
Uploaded by : chinnocent <***@videotron.ca>
Description : Official vs Unofficial versions suggested policy

chinnocent <***@videotron.ca>

b***@yahoogroups.com
2002-12-04 22:57:11 UTC
Hello,

a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the blat
group.

File : /Unofficial/blat198.zip
Uploaded by : Harry_el_Fuerte <***@sci.fi>
Description : Blat 1.9.8 unofficial BETA: Cleaned up main function, uses Buf class everywhere, also in DoCgiWork (not tested at all!)

b***@yahoogroups.com
2002-12-05 22:21:49 UTC
Hello,

a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the blat
group.

File : /Unofficial/blat199.zip
Uploaded by : Harry_el_Fuerte <***@sci.fi>
Description : Blat 1.9.9 unofficial BETA: Fixed WinFile::ReadFile bug. Added Blat.dll source code and Visual Basic example. Includes now Blat.dll version as well. I would have made it compatible with wielandP's blat.dll, but his source code was incomplete.