Attachment
seppeburchtseppe
2005-12-14 15:39:25 UTC
Hello, I'd like to send a zip file through Blat, but I think I do
something wrong 'cause it doesn"t work.

I'm using Visual Basic for applications (code from the site) and Blat
2.5. The zip file is about 1.5 Mb.

Here's the command I'm using:

"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
-server "some smtp server" -attach "here comes the zip file"

What am I doing wrong?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/9QUssC/lzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
namtog
2005-12-14 17:36:48 UTC
Greetings seppeburchtseppe,

Welcome to Blat YBG. I'll take a stab at your
question. Don't expect to much, I've been in
a slump lately.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
-server "some smtp server" -attach "here comes the zip file"
What am I doing wrong?
I suspect you are a victim of the infamous first hyphen (-)
in the Blat send syntax. Try changing your command to;
"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" - -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
-server "some smtp server" -attach "here comes the zip file"

All of the above is on one line. Notice the new - after blat.exe.

The above example assumes you do not need to login to the smtp
server. If you need AUTH login try;
"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" - -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
-server "some smtp server" -u Your email login name -pw Your
password -attach "here comes the zip file"

Once again all on one line. If you want add a -body to the string.

Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
2005-12-14 17:57:16 UTC
Hey namtog,

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 12:36:48 PM you wrote

n> I suspect you are a victim of the infamous first hyphen (-)
n> in the Blat send syntax.

Well, I looked in the ChangeLog files, but didn't find this... In
v2.5.0, the requirement for that initial "-" was removed... So you
don't need it any more.

However! In my testing, my memory was refreshed... LOL.
If you don't put a filename as the first option for Blat to use as the
message body, or use the -body option, then Blat will start, and give
you a blank page waiting for you to type in what you want it to use as
the message body! And you need to end this with a ^Z to tell Blat when
you are done...
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Hang up and drive.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

Most low income homes are not online. Make a difference this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5UeCyC/BWHMAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
2005-12-14 18:04:41 UTC
Hey Chip,

n>> I suspect you are a victim of the infamous first hyphen (-)
n>> in the Blat send syntax.

TM> Well, I looked in the ChangeLog files, but didn't find this... In
TM> v2.5.0, the requirement for that initial "-" was removed... So you
TM> don't need it any more.

TM> However! In my testing, my memory was refreshed... LOL.
TM> If you don't put a filename as the first option for Blat to use as the
TM> message body, or use the -body option, then Blat will start, and give
TM> you a blank page waiting for you to type in what you want it to use as
TM> the message body! And you need to end this with a ^Z to tell Blat when
TM> you are done...

It might be a good idea to add to Blat's output in this instance...

,----- [ Here is what Blat dumps to the screen ]
`-----

,----- [ Here is something like what I am thinking ]
| B:\Testing\Initial->blat -of of.bat
| Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)
| -= I need to know what to use for a message body =-
| -= Please type a message body here followed by ^Z =-
| _ <-------------blinking cursor here
`-----

Possibly a note about them not specifying -body ?
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
The nose is the scenter of the face.

namtog
2005-12-14 18:27:35 UTC
Greetings,
Post by Tim Musson
Hey namtog,
n> I suspect you are a victim of the infamous first hyphen (-)
n> in the Blat send syntax.
Well, I looked in the ChangeLog files, but didn't find this... In
v2.5.0, the requirement for that initial "-" was removed... So you
don't need it any more
Now that you brought it up I remember hearing about this. So I
went to;
http://blat.net/?docs/ChangeLog.txt
and read the 2.5 section, I must be going blind, where is the
no longer need the first - change reported.

Then Tim wrote in message 8001,
Post by Tim Musson
After the last couple of posts, and some testing on my part to
refresh
Post by Tim Musson
my memory, I think your problem is that you are not including the
-body "message body here!" options. So Blat will just load, then sit
there waiting for you to tell it what text to use for the message
body.
So now I'm wondering if a -body is required what happens
with batch examples like;
http://blat.net/examples/batch.html

2005-12-14 18:43:59 UTC
Hey namtog,

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 1:27:35 PM you wrote

n> Now that you brought it up I remember hearing about this. So I
n> went to;
n> http://blat.net/?docs/ChangeLog.txt
n> and read the 2.5 section, I must be going blind, where is the
n> no longer need the first - change reported.

:) I didn't find it either... Must have been missed.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law

2005-12-14 18:47:35 UTC
Hey namtog,

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 1:27:35 PM you wrote

n> So now I'm wondering if a -body is required what happens
n> with batch examples like;
n> http://blat.net/examples/batch.html

There is nothing wrong with that page still...

Blat needs to be told what to use as a message body;
1. by using a text file as the first option (that is what the above
example does).
2. by using the -boxy "text string here" method.
3. don't do either 1 or 2 but type the text on the blank screen Blat
provides when you don't use either 1 or 2. This text must be ended
with a ^Z (Control-Z) key stroke.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
MS Windows -- From the people who brought you EDLIN!

namtog
2005-12-14 19:11:56 UTC
Greetings,
Post by Tim Musson
There is nothing wrong with that page still...
Blat needs to be told what to use as a message body;
1. by using a text file as the first option (that is what the above
example does).
I'm sure I am missing the obvious but where
is the body text file in;

blat batch.bat -to ***@blat.tld -f ***@blat.tld -s "Test Blat"-
server localhost -debug -log blat.log -timestamp -x "X-Header-Test:
Can Blat do it? Yes it Can!"

is -x the equivalent of -body? As far as Blat
needs a body to send email.

As to options 2 and 3, those I understand.

Namtog

2005-12-14 19:37:35 UTC
Hey namtog,

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 2:11:56 PM you wrote

n> I'm sure I am missing the obvious

I guess it isn't that obvious (it is to me... but I do a *lot* with
batch files). I struggle (and frequently fail :) to write examples
that are useful, good code, 'cool', but not above most peoples
heads...

n> but where is the body text file in;

n> blat batch.bat
^^^^^^^^^ <---- Text file to use for message body...
n> -to ***@blat.tld
n> -f ***@blat.tld
n> -s "Test Blat"
n> -server localhost
n> -debug
n> -log blat.log
n> -timestamp
n> -x "X-Header-Test: Can Blat do it? Yes it Can!"

n> is -x the equivalent of -body? As far as Blat
n> needs a body to send email.

Nope, that adds an X-Header to the RFC2822 headers :)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
MS-DOS: celebrating ten years of obsolescence
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.QUssC/izNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
seppeburchtseppe
2005-12-15 07:23:53 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Hey namtog,
[...]
Thanks guys, but it all sounds Greek to me!

So, which command should I use to attach a zip file (about 1,5 Mb)?

With this one, Blat 2.5.0 stalls (all of course with valid entries
between the quotes):

"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
-server "Some_SMTP_Server" -attach "Zip_File_to_attach"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.QUssC/izNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
2005-12-15 12:53:25 UTC
Hey seppeburchtseppe,

On Thursday, December 15, 2005 at 2:23:53 AM you wrote

s> Thanks guys, but it all sounds Greek to me!

Sorry, we kind of got off on a tangent with your problem...

s> So, which command should I use to attach a zip file (about 1,5 Mb)?

I am guessing your command below is just fine, but it is missing any
command to tell Blat what to use for the message body...

s> With this one, Blat 2.5.0 stalls (all of course with valid entries
s> between the quotes):

s> "C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe"
s> -s "Subject"
s> -t "To"
s> -f "From"
s> -server "Some_SMTP_Server"
s> -attach "Zip_File_to_attach"

I would suggest the following changes:

"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe"
-s "Subject"
-t "To"
-f "From"
-server "Some_SMTP_Server"
-attach "Zip_File_to_attach"
-body "Message Body here - I think this is your problem."
-debug
-log "C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.log"
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

seppeburchtseppe
2005-12-15 15:16:53 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Hey seppeburchtseppe,
[...]
Many thanks guys, I sorted it out.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Kanchan Torvi
2005-12-15 16:17:38 UTC
Hello,
I have an SQR that calls the blat utility to send emails.
I have installed blat on the file server. I also have an install.bat script in the same folder:

blat -install smtp_relay ***@abc.com >e:\jobs\blat\install.log

The problem I am having is that before each time I run the SQR, I have to execute this install.bat. So, the SQR can be run manually (first execute install.bat, then run the SQR) and it sends emails fine.

But when I try to schedule the SQR to run on a daily basis (or if I run the SQR manually without running install.bat first), it fails.
Here is the error message:

ERROR Emailing file
e:\jobs\blat\blat.exe x:\sqrout\ABCP\training\rcremail.txt -f 30&***@abcna.com -to ***@abcna.com -subject "90 day New Hire Survey" -cc ***@abc.com -hostname smtp_relay
system stat: 12.000000

RETURN-STATUS = 1.000000
Error on line 477:
(SQR 3301) Program stopped by user request.
SQR: Program Aborting.

I have 2 questions:
1. Why does blat expect install.bat to be run each time?
2. Is there are way to execute this script from within the SQR, so that it doesn;t fail?

thanks.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
namtog
2005-12-16 21:58:17 UTC
Greetings Kanchan Torvi,

Let's see if we can sort this out.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
Hello,
I have an SQR that calls the blat utility to send emails.
By SQR do you mean something like this;
http://www.sqr-info.com/
Post by seppeburchtseppe
to execute this install.bat. So, the SQR can be run manually (first
execute install.bat, then run the SQR) and it sends emails fine.
In the folder that you installed Blat open a CLI and type;
blat -profile
see if your profile is there.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
But when I try to schedule the SQR to run on a daily basis (or if
I run the SQR manually without running install.bat first), it
fails.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
ERROR Emailing file
e:\jobs\blat\blat.exe x:\sqrout\ABCP\training\rcremail.txt -f 30&90
system stat: 12.000000
Am I correct in assuming rcremail.txt is the file you want to send?

Try these two and see if one will work for you. If you have Blat in
the same folder as the batch script;

blat x:\sqrout\ABCP\training\rcremail.txt -f 30&90
***@a... -to ***@a... -subject "90 day New Hire Survey"
-cc ***@a... -hostname smtp_relay

All of the above on one line. Then you may need to make this change;

blat x:\sqrout\ABCP\training\rcremail.txt -i 30&90
***@a... -to ***@a... -subject "90 day New Hire Survey"
-cc ***@a... -hostname smtp_relay

Notice the change of -f to -i. This is from the syntax.txt file
-f <sender>: override the default sender address (must be known to
server)
-i <addr> : a 'From:' address, not necessarily known to the server
Post by seppeburchtseppe
RETURN-STATUS = 1.000000
(SQR 3301) Program stopped by user request.
SQR: Program Aborting.
Next try adding -debug or -superdebug to the string. This will
give you a few clues. If you still have this problem post the debug
info here. Take out anything that does not belong on a news group.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
1. Why does blat expect install.bat to be run each time?
It doesn't. That's why I asked you to run blat -profile to see
if it's there.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
2. Is there are way to execute this script from within the SQR,
so that it doesn't fail?
We are working on this one :) Other people will probably add to
my post.
Post by seppeburchtseppe
thanks.
Your welcome,
Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.QUssC/izNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Kevin van Houten
2005-12-15 11:44:41 UTC
Quoting seppeburchtseppe..
Post by seppeburchtseppe
So, which command should I use to attach a zip file (about 1,5 Mb)?
With this one, Blat 2.5.0 stalls (all of course with valid entries
"C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
-server "Some_SMTP_Server" -attach "Zip_File_to_attach"
You never told it what to send as the 'message' part of the
email...the email. With blat 2.5 There are really three options
on how to get the body of the email message in it. (note: I
already have my username, password & smtp server information in
my computer's registry so I don't have to supply them in these
examples...)

1. use the '-body' parameter...

C:\>blat -to ***@gmail.com -s "This is the subject line" -body "Check out this file" -attach filename.zip
Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)

Sending stdin.txt to ***@gmail.com
Subject: This is the subject line
Login name is ***@yahoo.com
Attached binary file: filename.zip

2. If you give no '-body' parameter blat will wait for you to
enter some text to send as the body of the message. When you
finish typing what you want to use as the body of the message,
signal the 'end of file' by pressing 'Ctrl-Z'.

C:\>blat -to ***@gmail.com -s "This is the subject line" -attach filename.zip
Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)

Check out this file!
^Z
Sending stdin.txt to ***@gmail.com
Login name is ***@yahoo.com
Attached binary file: filename.zip

3. Finally, the 'traditional' way of signifying the 'body' of the
message is to tell blat what text file to use as the body of the
message. That is signified by using the text file name as the
first parameter in the call to blat. The following command uses
the contents of a file named "engine.log" as the body of th email
message, and also attaches the same zip file.

C:\>blat engine.log -to ***@gmail.com -s "Here is the result of the installation" -attach filename.zip
Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)

Sending engine.log to ***@gmail.com
Subject: Here is the result of the installation
--
Qe'van, Bard of Nor
http://qevan.homeip.net

... Scum of the Universe #5: phone surveys.

namtog
2005-12-15 13:54:38 UTC
Greetings,

In the syntax.txt file that comes with v 2.50
it reads as follows, first entry under The Basics;
<filename>: file with the message body to be sent
if your message body is on the command line, use a hyphen(-)
as your first argument, and -body followed by your message
if your message will come from the console/keyboard, use the
hyphen as your first argument, but do not use -body option.

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/talking-heads/135070.html

Feeling musical,
Namtog

2005-12-15 04:01:47 UTC
Hey Chip,
`-----
,----- [ Here is something like what I am thinking ]
| B:\Testing\Initial->blat -of of.bat
| Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)
| -= I need to know what to use for a message body =-
| -= Please type a message body here followed by ^Z =-
| _ <-------------blinking cursor here
`-----
Possibly a note about them not specifying -body ?
Certainly, for command prompt users. However, if Blat is being launched
from another application, like VB in the original message, users may not see
Blat's output.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM
2005-12-14 17:44:20 UTC
Hey seppeburchtseppe,

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 10:39:25 AM you wrote

s> Hello, I'd like to send a zip file through Blat, but I think I do
s> something wrong 'cause it doesn"t work.

s> I'm using Visual Basic for applications (code from the site) and Blat
s> 2.5. The zip file is about 1.5 Mb.

s> Here's the command I'm using:

s> "C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
s> -server "some smtp server" -attach "here comes the zip file"

s> What am I doing wrong?

You did put valid information in in place of all the stuff between the
"" chars right?

You left out the options to put in a message body, but it should still
work without it IIRC. Anyway, you should add -body "This is the msg!"

What output do you get? Try adding the '-debug -log blat.log' options.

When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses - it is never
a good idea to send that information to a public list.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Why get even, when you can get odd?

2005-12-14 17:58:46 UTC
Hey seppeburchtseppe,

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 10:39:25 AM you wrote

s> Hello, I'd like to send a zip file through Blat, but I think I do
s> something wrong 'cause it doesn"t work.

s> I'm using Visual Basic for applications (code from the site) and Blat
s> 2.5. The zip file is about 1.5 Mb.

s> Here's the command I'm using:

s> "C:\Program Files\Blat\blat.exe" -s "Subject" -t "To" -f "From"
s> -server "some smtp server" -attach "here comes the zip file"

s> What am I doing wrong?

After the last couple of posts, and some testing on my part to refresh
my memory, I think your problem is that you are not including the
-body "message body here!" options. So Blat will just load, then sit
there waiting for you to tell it what text to use for the message
body.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Dark really sucks; that's why light moves so fast.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM