Filename too long for blat?
tahattmeruh
2006-02-02 14:36:28 UTC
I use the following command
C:\>c:\pdf-server\blat\blat.exe
"C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
Notepad-192.txt" -server smtp.mydomain.com -f ***@mydomain.com -u
***@mydomain.com -pw xxxxxx -t ***@mydomain.com -s
"aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa
aaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad" -attach
"C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
Notepad-192.pdf" -debug
Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
Notepad-192.txt does not exist

if i type exactly the name that i use in blat, i get a result. the
file is there

C:\>type "c:\windows\temp\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
Notepad-192.txt"
test body
C:\>

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards
Marc Fauser
tahattmeruh
2006-02-02 14:40:35 UTC
I use the following command
C:\>c:\pdf-server\blat\blat.exe "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaa
aaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad-192.txt" -server smtp.mydomain.com -f ***@mydomain.com -u ***@mydomain
.com -pw xxxxxx -t ***@mydomain.com -s "aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa
aaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad" -attach "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa
aa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad-192.pdf" -debug
Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
Notepad-192.txt does not exist

if i type exactly the name that i use in blat, i get a result. the file is there

C:\>type "c:\windows\temp\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa
aaa .txt - Notepad-192.txt"

2006-02-02 15:05:51 UTC
Hey tahattmeruh,

On Thursday, February 2, 2006 at 9:36:28 AM you wrote

t> I use the following command

t> C:\>c:\pdf-server\blat\blat.exe
t> "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.txt" -server smtp.mydomain.com -f ***@mydomain.com
t> -u ***@mydomain.com -pw xxxxxx -t ***@mydomain.com
t> -s "aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaa aaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad" -attach
t> "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.pdf" -debug

t> Blat v2.5.0 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 14 2005 22:46:29)

t> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.txt does not exist

Wow, is there a reason you are using a 120 character filename (136
with the path included)? with 2 extensions in it?

t> if i type exactly the name that i use in blat, i get a result. the
t> file is there

C:\>>type "c:\windows\temp\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.txt"
t> test body
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Recipe for Irish stew: Get some meat, some potatoes, and a lot of
Guinness Stout. Drink all of the Guinness Stout. Forget about the
stew.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
tahattmeruh
2006-02-02 15:54:59 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
Hey tahattmeruh,
t> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.txt does not exist
Wow, is there a reason you are using a 120 character filename (136
with the path included)? with 2 extensions in it?
Yes. The reason is the users are printing on network and a pdf
is created. It gets the filename like
surename.lastname-originalfilename-programm-sequenze
+ extension .txt for the body and .pdf for the attachment.
If the file cannot be sent to the user, I put it into a
shared folder. The users will know their files.

Marc
tahattmeruh
2006-02-06 09:03:46 UTC
Post by tahattmeruh
[...]
Still no other solution than to use shorter filenames?

Marc
2006-02-06 12:37:10 UTC
Hey tahattmeruh,

On Monday, February 6, 2006 at 4:03:46 AM you wrote

t> Still no other solution than to use shorter filenames?

Sorry, I got distracted with Work issues... :0

Try putting all the options in an option file - guessing it may have
to do with the size of the Environment when you run it as a process.

So, it would look like this:

blat "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa txt - Notepad-192.txt"
-of OptionFile.txt

,----- [ Contents of OptionFile.txt ]
| -server smtp.mydomain.com
| -f ***@mydomain.com
| -u ***@mydomain.com
| -pw xxxxxx
| -t ***@mydomain.com
| -s "aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa aaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad"
| -attach "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad-192.pdf"
| -debug
`-----
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
tahattmeruh
2006-02-06 14:35:58 UTC
Still no luck with the option file. Blat still says that it cannot find the
body file. Don't know what's wrong. It only happens on the body file.

`-----
2006-02-06 14:55:12 UTC
Hey tahattmeruh,

On Monday, February 6, 2006 at 9:35:58 AM you wrote

t> Still no luck with the option file. Blat still says that it cannot find the
t> body file. Don't know what's wrong. It only happens on the body file.

can you post an actual command line that fails so I can try to
reproduce it here? (munge the user/pw/domain info only, or send
directly to my address...)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but
you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the
stairs.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
tahattmeruh
2006-02-06 16:53:06 UTC
Hey tahattmeruh,
Notepad-192.txt" -server smtp.mydomain.com -f ***@... -u
***@... -pw xxxxxx -t ***@... -s
"aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa
aaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad" -attach
"C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
Notepad-192.pdf" -debug

you have to create only a body file with a very long name.

Marc
Tracey
2006-02-06 17:18:53 UTC
Just FYI...
... dir /x in W2K displays the 8.3 file name since the long file names are
actually aliases for the ~real~8.3 file names.

Where I work we have some programs that have problems with long file names.

You might want extract the 8.3 file name as an alternative until you can
come up with a permanent fix.

Just a thought
tahattmeruh
2006-02-06 17:42:46 UTC
Post by Tracey
Just FYI...
... dir /x in W2K displays the 8.3 file name since the long file names are
actually aliases for the ~real~8.3 file names.
It's the opposite. 8.3 file names are aliases for the real filenames.
You can deactivate the 8.3 filename creation in windows.
Post by Tracey
You might want extract the 8.3 file name as an alternative until you can
come up with a permanent fix.
I will wait the next days to see if there is a better solution.

Marc
namtog
2006-02-06 17:49:29 UTC
Greetings,

I get the same * does not exist message on
win XP home edition for really long file
names.

Don't know of a cure.

Namtog
2006-02-06 18:30:16 UTC
Hey tahattmeruh,
Post by Tim Musson
can you post an actual command line that fails so I can try to
reproduce it here?
t> I use the following command
C:\>>c:\pdf-server\blat\blat.exe
t> "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.txt" -server smtp.mydomain.com -f ***@... -u
t> ***@... -pw xxxxxx -t ***@... -s
t> "aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa
t> aaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad" -attach
t> "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
t> aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt -
t> Notepad-192.pdf" -debug

t> you have to create only a body file with a very long name.

Yep, I can verify...
I created the following 1.bat file in b:\testing\long
,-----
| ;set FileName=%0
| ;set FileName=surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad-192.txt
| ;set FileName=surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa a aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad-192.txt
| ;:: The above fails, the below works.
| ;set FileName=surename.lastname-aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa .txt - Notepad-192.txt
| ;copy %0 "%FileName%"
| ;Blat "%FileName%" -of %0 -p MyBlatProfile
| ;exit
|
| -to myself
| -subject "testing long filename"
| -debug
`-----
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.5, see www.blat.net
2006-02-07 02:40:21 UTC
I found the problem, it is a function call to Windows to open the named file
which is failing. I changed the call to a different function which now does
work, and I was able to send/receive the long named file. This change will
go into the next version I hope to release shortly.

tahattmeruh
2006-02-07 08:33:39 UTC
Post by Chip
I found the problem, it is a function call to Windows to open the named file
which is failing. I changed the call to a different function which now does
work, and I was able to send/receive the long named file. This change will
go into the next version I hope to release shortly.
Chip
Great.

That are really good news.

Marc
namtog
2006-02-07 16:22:12 UTC
Greetings,

Marc wrote;
Post by tahattmeruh
Great.
That are really good news.
Yes it is.

Thanks to you for reporting what appears to
be a genuine bug. It's the first one, IIRC, of
the year.

When you first posted here at YGB I took a
look at it and thought "another install or
configuration isssue". Partly because I'm
reading this news group on a web page that
adds, rightly so, line breaks. Also because
at first I was too lasy to copy your post into
a word proccesor so I could read it.

You stuck to your guns, good for you.

Namtog
namtog
2006-02-07 16:50:19 UTC
Greetings,

Chip wrote;
Post by Chip
I found the problem, it is a function call to
Windows to open the named file which is failing.
I changed the call to a different function which now does
work, and I was able to send/receive the long named file.
Is this what you are talking about? From
blat.cpp starting at line 721;

// make sure filename exists, get full pathname
if ( bodyFilename[0] && (lstrcmp(bodyFilename, "-") != 0) ) {
if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);

Or am I reading the wrong section?

Namtog
2006-02-08 03:43:56 UTC
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Chip wrote;
Post by Chip
I found the problem, it is a function call to
Windows to open the named file which is failing.
I changed the call to a different function which now does
work, and I was able to send/receive the long named file.
Is this what you are talking about? From
blat.cpp starting at line 721;
// make sure filename exists, get full pathname
if ( bodyFilename[0] && (lstrcmp(bodyFilename, "-") != 0) ) {
if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
Or am I reading the wrong section?
Namtog
That's the correct section of code. I replaced the OpenFile() with a
different call and additional lines of error checking. :)

tahattmeruh
2006-02-17 14:10:21 UTC
Post by Chip
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Chip wrote;
Post by Chip
I found the problem, it is a function call to
Windows to open the named file which is failing.
I changed the call to a different function which now does
work, and I was able to send/receive the long named file.
Is this what you are talking about? From
blat.cpp starting at line 721;
// make sure filename exists, get full pathname
if ( bodyFilename[0] && (lstrcmp(bodyFilename, "-") != 0) ) {
if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
Or am I reading the wrong section?
Namtog
That's the correct section of code. I replaced the OpenFile() with a
different call and additional lines of error checking. :)
Can you post the differences so that I can compile a fixed version or
will you release a new version in the next days?

Marc
2006-02-17 14:37:54 UTC
Post by tahattmeruh
Post by Chip
Post by namtog
Is this what you are talking about? From
blat.cpp starting at line 721;
// make sure filename exists, get full pathname
if ( bodyFilename[0] && (lstrcmp(bodyFilename, "-") != 0) ) {
if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
Or am I reading the wrong section?
Namtog
That's the correct section of code. I replaced the OpenFile() with a
different call and additional lines of error checking. :)
Can you post the differences so that I can compile a fixed version or
will you release a new version in the next days?
Marc
I changed these two lines:

if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);

to these six lines. Email will wrap these lines, so please unwrap them when
you add this to your source:

if ( CreateFile( bodyFilename, FILE_READ_DATA, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL ) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE ) {
int lastError = GetLastError();
if ( lastError == 0 )
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
else
printMsg("unknown error code %d when trying to open %s\n",
lastError, bodyFilename);

Version 2.60 has more changes than just this one listed here. For example,
I added some X.400 headers last night for Lotus Notes compatibility (blah).
Another change is support for IMAP servers (limited testing), and one a
small change to the Windows socket handling. I really would like to find
someone with an IMAP account to test my changes in that area, plus I'd like
to get some packet traces showing CRAM-MD5 issues before I release this
version.

namtog
2006-02-17 15:57:33 UTC
Greetings,

Chip wrote;
"I really would like to find someone with an
IMAP account to test my changes in that area,
(Sorry don't have one, Namtog)
plus I'd like to get some packet traces showing
CRAM-MD5 issues before I release this version."

I don't have any issues with CRAM-MD5, as far as
I can tell. If it would be of help I could send
you my packet traces using ethereal.

As far as the file name too long problem goes it
is a wonder no one had a problem with OpenFile()
before. Amazing how far Blat has gone with that
piece of 16 bit code. It will be fun to see how long
CreateFile() lasts, if I live that long.

Now on to building Blat. I installed Microsoft
Visual Studio .Net 2003. Yowl, 1200+ MB download.
I've used some MS develop products before but nothing
close to this in size. The install comes to about
1550MB.

For a batch script, Perl hacker, JS and a little
C kind of guy these comprehensive packages are
overwhelming. I've spent two days simply getting
used to MVS.

Here is where I'm at. When I go to build Blat it
moves along pretty far, then I get three warnings;
"warning C4127: conditional expression is constant"
I suspect I could live with this. The problem is;
"fatal error LNK 1104: cannot open file 'msvcrt71.lib'"

So I went to MSDN and searched around a bit, can't
find the lib listed there. I did learn that the 71
designation means that it is a "known" lib, to be
included in the exe. Without the 71 the exe relies on
system files.

Chip any thoughts, is msvcrt71.lib something custom?

Oh, I'm using the file blat.sln. Since my 2003 version of
MVS won't open blatvs2005.sln I'm guessing that is for
the 64 bit version of Blat, opens with MVS 2005. If I
try to build with blat.vcproj I get the same fatal lib
error.

What am I doing wrong this time :)

Namtog
starf1x
2006-02-17 17:28:13 UTC
Can't help you either with an IMAP server.

Following this build project with extreem intrest :)

Kind Regards, Starf1x
Post by namtog
Greetings,
Chip wrote;
2006-02-17 23:42:10 UTC
[...]
I open only the .sln file, and let Visual Studio do the rest.

Msvcrt71.lib should be located in your "Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\lib" directory, at least it is in mine. I installed VS.Net 2k3 at
the root of my D: drive, not that this matters to anyone or to the build
process.

I will send you my batch files via private mail since Yahoo Groups does not
support attachments.
Bill Hoelzer
2006-02-17 16:12:45 UTC
Chip,

The free AIM Mail service supports IMAP, which is how I'm posting this
reply.

To log on or sign up for this service go here: http://mail.aim.com
<http://mail.aim.com/>

If you already have an AOL Instant Messenger account you can use that screen
name and password.

They also have instructions for configuring an E-mail client to use IMAP
with their service:
http://d03.webmail.aol.com/Help/detail_misc_emailprograms.aspx?search=IMAP

Enjoy.

Bill

_____

tahattmeruh
2006-02-20 13:59:22 UTC
Post by namtog
if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
to these six lines. Email will wrap these lines, so please unwrap them when
if ( CreateFile( bodyFilename, FILE_READ_DATA, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL ) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE ) {
int lastError = GetLastError();
if ( lastError == 0 )
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
else
printMsg("unknown error code %d when trying to open %s\n",
lastError, bodyFilename);
I opened the source v2.5.0 and changed those 2 lines.
When I try to compile blat, I get the following error

Error 1 fatal error C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for
precompiled header. Did you forget to add '#include "stdafx.h"' to
your source? c:\blat2.5.0\blat250\full\source\yenc.cpp 174

I get this error for nearly every file.
What I'm doing wrong here?

Marc
tahattmeruh
2006-02-20 14:12:28 UTC
Post by namtog
if ( OpenFile(bodyFilename,&of,OF_EXIST) == HFILE_ERROR ) {
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
to these six lines. Email will wrap these lines, so please unwrap them when
if ( CreateFile( bodyFilename, FILE_READ_DATA, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL ) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE ) {
int lastError = GetLastError();
if ( lastError == 0 )
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
else
printMsg("unknown error code %d when trying to open %s\n",
lastError, bodyFilename);
Ok. I changed the precompiled header settings to no, but now I get
the error that crtdll.lib cannot be found.

Marc
2006-02-20 14:21:21 UTC
Post by namtog
if ( CreateFile( bodyFilename, FILE_READ_DATA, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL ) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE ) {
int lastError = GetLastError();
if ( lastError == 0 )
printMsg("%s does not exist\n",bodyFilename);
else
printMsg("unknown error code %d when trying to open %s\n",
lastError, bodyFilename);
Ok. I changed the precompiled header settings to no, but now I get
the error that crtdll.lib cannot be found.
Marc
Change the default libraries to remove crtdll.lib and put in msvcrt.lib.

tahattmeruh
2006-02-20 14:32:25 UTC
Post by Chip
Change the default libraries to remove crtdll.lib and put in msvcrt.lib.
I removed crtdll.lib completely and changed the settings to
no precompiled headers. It works now also.

Marc