Setting up Blat (command line or other)
DKalata
2005-01-24 19:58:54 UTC
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to put my two cents into this discussion. I have read
most posts and I too have had problems making Blat work at home.
Because of that, I have dropped my thoughts for using it. I would like
to get it to work, but thought the problem with with my ISP
(comcast.net). It may have been with my command line syntax.

I would like to ask that Tim's suggestion be implemented. Basically, a
webpage that builds your command line based on supplied values (e.g.
server, from, port, etc.). I would suggest that the webpage accept all
possible values except UserID and Password. The command line could be
generated as the fields are updated, or you could "click" a button to
generate the install syntax. It could display a second command line
that would include placeholders for a UserID and Password (for those
that need to use them). In this way, you could copy/paste the proper
syntax.

Thanks for listening,
Dave
Tracey
2005-01-24 20:09:32 UTC
Genuine Question: What does the webpage have to offer over using an INI
file?

Wouldn't an INI file do the same thing without having to create/maintain a
web page?
The only change in blat would parsing the input from the INI file.
#2a) have a blat.ini that people fill in the blanks for all
{desired/possible/necessary} installation options. If a password field is
{"prompt"/"ask"} then prompt for password. If one is written then use it. If
it is null then skip the password.
#2b) run [blat -install blat.ini].
#2c) if the password field in the INI file is not null, then offer the
option to either:
#2c1 delete the INI file when done.
or
#2c2 null the password field in the INI file and re-write the INI file to
disk.

2005-01-24 20:29:21 UTC
Hey DKalata,

On Monday, January 24, 2005 at 2:58:54 PM you wrote

D> I would like to ask that Tim's suggestion be implemented.

In progress...

D> The command line could be generated as the fields are updated

Anyone have and example of how to do this in PHP or Perl?

D> , or you could "click" a button to generate the install syntax.

That is how I am working on it now.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
...If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Corp Library
2005-01-24 20:58:48 UTC
While we're on the topic of a web page that would generate Blat command
line, it would be great if the same web page also provided an option to
validate an email account name/password. This would help many users from
beating their heads (and Blat) against a wall when they don't have a
valid SMTP account setup.

I recognize that there are security issues with this. The user/org
hosting this page would have to be trustworthy. And this type of feature
wouldn't detect problems with ISP's blocking port 25 or other company
specific firewall settings. But it might be a start?

Also, perhaps there might be a blattest.exe utility that might allow a
user to perform some simple tests to make sure their environment
supports a SMTP activity.

Just some thoughts (and another big round of thanks to all the members
of this community!),

Malcolm
2005-01-26 14:16:37 UTC
Hey Corp,

On Monday, January 24, 2005 at 3:58:48 PM you wrote

CL> While we're on the topic of a web page that would generate Blat command
CL> line, it would be great if the same web page also provided an option to
CL> validate an email account name/password. This would help many users from
CL> beating their heads (and Blat) against a wall when they don't have a
CL> valid SMTP account setup.

CL> I recognize that there are security issues with this. The user/org
CL> hosting this page would have to be trustworthy. And this type of feature
CL> wouldn't detect problems with ISP's blocking port 25 or other company
CL> specific firewall settings. But it might be a start?

I think this would present more problems that it solves...

For example if a user tried to validate an address on an internal smtp
server (lots of users of Blat don't even really understand what that
means...).

It also would probably turn into a SPAMers tool to validate their
lists.

CL> Also, perhaps there might be a blattest.exe utility that might allow a
CL> user to perform some simple tests to make sure their environment
CL> supports a SMTP activity.

Well, Blat will do that by itself, or you can use telent like
http://www.blat.net/examples/telnet25.html
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.4, see www.blat.net
Corp Library
2005-01-26 18:09:01 UTC
Tim,

I agree with your comments below.

Thanks!
Malcolm

Raj
2005-01-27 01:44:24 UTC
Hi All,

I am getting following error while sending mail using
blat. Can any one help me to come out of it.

c:\Blat240\full>blat hai.txt -to ***@yahoo.com -u
asiapacific\ruam -pw A_chandu1
Blat v2.4 w/GSS encryption (build : Jan 15 2005
08:32:11)

Sending hai.txt to ***@yahoo.com
Login name is ruam
The SMTP server does not like the name
***@yahoo.com.
Have you set the 'To:' field correctly, or do you need
authorization (-u/-pw) ?
The SMTP server response was -> 504 <ruam>: Sender
address rejected: need fully-qualified address

I am giving my mails account with domain name (and
tried with out domain name),

Any ideas,

Regards
Raj,

http://my.yahoo.com
2005-01-27 01:52:48 UTC
Post by Raj
Hi All,
I am getting following error while sending mail using
blat. Can any one help me to come out of it.
c:\Blat240\full>blat hai.txt -to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -u
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -pw xxxxxxxxx
Blat v2.4 w/GSS encryption (build : Jan 15 2005
08:32:11)
Sending hai.txt to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Login name is xxxxxxxxxxxx
The SMTP server does not like the name
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Have you set the 'To:' field correctly, or do you need
authorization (-u/-pw) ?
The SMTP server response was -> 504 <xxxx>: Sender
address rejected: need fully-qualified address
I am giving my mails account with domain name (and
tried with out domain name),
Any ideas,
Regards
Raj,
Raj,

Your -install options must have listed only your account name without the
full email address. Try to run "lat -Install" again with your full email
address.

Raj
2005-01-27 01:59:24 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for reply,

My installation as followed:

c:\Blat240\full>blat -install mail..com
domainname\accountname - - - username passwors
Blat v2.4 w/GSS encryption (build : Jan 15 2005
08:32:11)

SMTP server set to mail.com on port 25 with user
domainname\accountname, retry
1 time(s)

Where ever the address needed i given my mail id and
account id also, but no use,

Regards
Raj,
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
2005-01-27 02:06:32 UTC
Post by Raj
Hello,
Thanks for reply,
c:\Blat240\full>blat -install mail..com
domainname\accountname - - - username passwors
Blat v2.4 w/GSS encryption (build : Jan 15 2005
08:32:11)
SMTP server set to mail.com on port 25 with user
domainname\accountname, retry
1 time(s)
Where ever the address needed i given my mail id and
account id also, but no use,
Regards
Raj,
Change the command line to look like this:

blat -install mail.company.com
***@company.com
- - - username password

The domainname\accountname is not your email address. You need to use your
email address, not your Windows domain login.

Raj
2005-01-27 02:55:26 UTC
Hello Chip,

This is also not working.

My outgoing SMTP mail server is mail.sgp.hp.com and my
mail id is ***@hp.com and my user account
name is ruam and passwd is acbd,

now please let me know how can i use these at install
option:

I have given as followed:

c:\Blat240\full>blat -install mail.sgp.hp.com
***@h
p.com - - - ruam abcd
Blat v2.4 w/GSS encryption (build : Jan 15 2005
08:32:11)

while sending mail am gettting following error:

D:\NewWater\Blat240\Blat240\full>blat hai.txt -to
***@yahoo.com

Login name is ***@hp.com
The SMTP server does not like the name
***@yahoo.com.
Have you set the 'To:' field correctly, or do you need
authorization (-u/-pw) ?
The SMTP server response was -> 554
<***@yahoo.com>: Relay access denied

Plz let me know if you have any idea.

Regards
Raj,
Post by Chip
Post by Raj
Hello,
Thanks for reply,
c:\Blat240\full>blat -install mail..com
domainname\accountname - - - username passwors
Blat v2.4 w/GSS encryption (build : Jan 15 2005
08:32:11)
SMTP server set to mail.com on port 25 with user
domainname\accountname, retry
1 time(s)
Where ever the address needed i given my mail id
and
Post by Raj
account id also, but no use,
Regards
Raj,
http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
2005-01-27 03:49:36 UTC
It appears that your server does not allow you to send email to outside
addresses with SMTP, which is what relaying is. Since you are on a Windows
domain, it would seem that you use Outlook with Exchange, and if this is the
case, your Echange admins probably have SMTP disabled.

Raj
2005-01-27 04:29:59 UTC
Hi Chip,

Thanks alot for your help. I could able to send the
mail by using blat.

I use my colleagu details for login and it went fine.

i suspect there is problem with my login details,

Thanks
Raj,
Post by Chip
It appears that your server does not allow you to
send email to outside
addresses with SMTP, which is what relaying is.
Since you are on a Windows
domain, it would seem that you use Outlook with
Exchange, and if this is the
case, your Echange admins probably have SMTP
disabled.
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com
namtog
2005-01-27 12:56:24 UTC
Post by Chip
It appears that your server does not allow you to
send email to outside
addresses with SMTP, which is what relaying is.
Chip
Greetings Raj,

I noticed that you are using Yahoo email to post to
this news group. Since that works from your current
location you should be able to use YPOPs! with Blat.
http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.

Namtog