blat + gmail redux
red_general_2003
2008-11-21 03:06:53 UTC
Hi,
Sorry to make you revisit the blat + gmail topic yet again, but the
postings I read where not clear enough for me to follow.

I am attempting to get blat to send mail through my gmail account
(eventually I plan to use AuthSMTP), but I am unable to send email.
My smtp parameters are as follows:

smtp server = smtp.gmail.com
port = 587
Username = ***@gmail.com
Password = Co1234

With the above information, I proceeded to install blat without any
issues. Here is the syntax used for the installation:

C:\Vocal\Blat>blat.exe -install smtp.gmail.com ***@gmail.com 1 -port
587 -u ***@gmail.com -pw Co1234
Blat v2.6.3 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 22 2007 11:49:49)

SMTP server set to smtp.gmail.com on port 587 with user ***@gmail.com,
retry 1 time(s)

Once the installation was completed, I issued the following command,
but got the error below.

C:\Vocal\Blat>blat -f ***@gmail.com -to ***@yahoo.com -
server smtp.gmail.com -subject "Greetings from vocal" -body "This is
the message body"
Blat v2.6.3 w/GSS encryption (build : Sep 22 2007 11:49:49)

Sending stdin.txt to ***@yahoo.com
Subject: Greetings from vocal
Login name is ***@gmail.com
The SMTP server does not require AUTH LOGIN.
Are you sure server supports AUTH?
The SMTP server does not like the sender name.
Have you set your mail address correctly?

Based on the switches provided with blat, sound like the above
configuration should work. Any ideas as to why is failing to send email?

Regards,
-r
Ken Gray
2008-11-21 03:18:04 UTC
you can only do smtp via gmail WITHOUT a password AND you can only send it
to other gmail accounts.

--
*Ken Gray*
The Macro Hook.blogspot.com <http://www.TheMacroHook.blogspot.com>

,
red_general_2003
2008-11-21 03:32:01 UTC
Hi Ken,
I am not sure I follow correctly your response, because on a different
project I worked on (not related to blat), while using Visual Studio
2005, I added the following arguments to the web.config

<mailSettings>
<smtp from="***@Voz.com">
<network host="smtp.gmail.com" password="noreply1" port="587"
userName="***@Voz.com"/>
</smtp>
</mailSettings>

The above uses SMTP via gmail WITH a username and password, and I it
sends information to all users with a valid email account, that is
gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc...

for my current project, blat would be perfect, the parameters in blat
seem to allow the configuration of the SMTP server, port, user and
password... so I am hopeful this can be done.

regards,
-r
Post by red_general_2003
[...]
Sending stdin.txt to
Ken Gray

red_general_2003
2008-11-21 04:42:36 UTC
Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried port 465;

C:\Vocal\Blat>blat.exe -install smtp.gmail.com ***@gmail.com 1 -port
465 -u ***@gmail.com -pw Co1234

And attempted the following again;

blat -f ***@gmail.com -to ***@yahoo.com -subject
"Greetings from vocal" -body "This is the message body"

This time I received a different error;

Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
SMTP server error
Error: Not a socket.
Error: Not a socket.

The error changed per port, because port 587 generates the following
error:

Sending stdin.txt to ***@yahoo.
namtog
2008-11-21 12:43:41 UTC
Greetings,

For Gmail you need something like Stunnel;
http://www.stunnel.org/

You can get a portable version of Stunnel
pre configured for Gmail here;
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/blat/files/Other/

Namtog
red_general_2003
2008-11-22 06:39:11 UTC
Greetings Namtog!

Gizzillion thanks for the link to the gmail pre configured stunnel,
the link is an awesome resource.

I downloaded pre-config file and with minimal effort got it working.
I was looking for a replacement to XPSMTP, this was it. I wrote a
little store procedure which allows me to send scheduled emails from
MS SQL 2005 Express while using Blat/Stunnel, sweet!..:)

Cheers!
-r
Namtog
Ken Gray

2008-11-21 12:49:50 UTC
Hey red_general_2003,

On Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 10:06:53 PM you wrote

r> Hi,
r> Sorry to make you revisit the blat + gmail topic yet again, but the
r> postings I read where not clear enough for me to follow.

r> I am attempting to get blat to send mail through my gmail account
r> (eventually I plan to use AuthSMTP), but I am unable to send email.
r> My smtp parameters are as follows:

r> smtp server = smtp.gmail.com
r> port = 587

If you are using one of the SSL ports, you need to get Blat to connect
THROUGH an SSL connection. Search the list archives for "stunnel".
Flying with The Bat! eMail v3.99.29
How come wrong numbers are never busy?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.6.2, see www.blat.net
red_general_2003
2008-11-22 06:54:45 UTC
Hi Tim,

Good hearing from you!

I looked a few listings on the subject of Stunnel and Blat, but still
was unable to get Blat working, I was incorrectly setting up the
stunnel.config file. Namtog kindly came to the rescue and replied
with the correct solution (thanks goodness!). I am good to go now, I
got Blat/Stunnel working in with SQL 2005 express while automating a
DB driven email delivery process.

imho, it would be great to include at http://www.blat.net/ the
resources provided by Namtog.

cheers,
-r
Hey red_general_2003,
Tim Musson
2008-11-22 12:57:48 UTC
Hey red_general_2003,

On Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 1:54:45 AM you wrote

r> I looked a few listings on the subject of Stunnel and Blat, but still
r> was unable to get Blat working, I was incorrectly setting up the
r> stunnel.config file. Namtog kindly came to the rescue and replied
r> with the correct solution (thanks goodness!). I am good to go now, I
r> got Blat/Stunnel working in with SQL 2005 express while automating a
r> DB driven email delivery process.

Good to hear.

r> imho, it would be great to include at http://www.blat.net/ the
r> resources provided by Namtog.

www.blat.net doesn't really like me hosting files for download there.
It is supposed to be just a web page. Our files (except for blat.exe)
are all stored in Blat's Yahoo Groups Files section - which is where
you found the file you are talking about
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/blat/files/Other/ )...

Any chance we could talk you into putting together a generic MS SQL +
Blat w/ Stunnel package to share? We are always looking for good easy
to follow examples like the one that helped you out!
Flying with The Bat! eMail v3.99.29
Flashlight: A case for holding dead batteries.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.6.2, see www.blat.net