possible timeout .SMTP server error message
tweetybird7555
2004-06-29 17:01:37 UTC
I am trying to assist someone with blat. They are getting an error
message. I am curious if anyone has seen this before, and knows why
it is occuring?
putline>>> HELO LibrarySrvr
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
Thank you - Jeanne

2004-06-29 19:01:43 UTC
Hey Jeanne,

On Tuesday, June 29, 2004 at 1:01:37 PM you wrote

t> I am trying to assist someone with blat. They are getting an error
t> message. I am curious if anyone has seen this before, and knows why
t> it is occuring?
putline>>> HELO LibrarySrvr
t> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
At a guess, the server you are trying to use doesn't listen to SMTP?
You didn't give me much info here...

When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses - it is never
a good idea to send that information to a public list.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
What are you doing?!? The message is over, GO AWAY!
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Jeanne Rogers
2004-06-29 19:17:08 UTC
Tim -

Here is the additional information that you are requesting.

This is what was returned after trying to use blat to email a text file to an individual.

D:\Sirsi\Unicorn\Bincustom>blat readme.txt -t <mailto:***@porkchop.com> ***@porkchop.com -debug Sending readme.txt to <mailto:***@porkchop.com> ***@porkchop.com Login name

is robert <mailto:***@city.cold.ak.us> @city.cold.ak.us <<<getline<<< 220 dpc_fkoc.city.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0

.2195.6713 ready at Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:38:06 -0800
putline>>> HELO LibrarySrvr
Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
<<<getline<<< 250 pdc_fkoc.city.local Hello [192.168.4.116]

221 2.0.0 pdc_fkoc.city.local Service closing transmission channel

We direct our customers to download NTemail.exe, and publish the following information regarding it.

(New file uploaded 11/08/01)

The file, NTemail.exe, is a self-extracting 156 KB InstallShield file. After the file is downloaded to your NT server, double-click it to start the installation process.

Thanks,

Jeanne

2004-06-29 19:34:06 UTC
Hey Jeanne,

On Tuesday, June 29, 2004 at 3:17:08 PM you wrote

JR> This is what was returned after trying to use blat to email a text
JR> file to an individual.

JR> D:\Sirsi\Unicorn\Bincustom>blat
JR> readme.txt
JR> -t <mailto:***@porkchop.com> ***@porkchop.com
JR> -debug

Ok, so the above is your command line (broken onto separate lines for
readability...)

First thing, you want to remove "<mailto:***@porkchop.com>", that
is Web page syntax, not Blat's.

You may also want to add a subject line with -s "subject"

I am asuming you have already run
blat -install smtp.server.com ***@email.add

JR> Sending readme.txt to <mailto:***@porkchop.com> ***@porkchop.com
JR> Login name is robert <mailto:***@city.cold.ak.us> @city.cold.ak.us

JR> <<<getline<<< 220 dpc_fkoc.city.local Microsoft
JR> ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0

JR> .2195.6713 ready at Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:38:06 -0800
putline>>> HELO LibrarySrvr
JR> Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).SMTP server error
putline>>> QUIT
JR> <<<getline<<< 250 pdc_fkoc.city.local Hello [192.168.4.116]

JR> 221 2.0.0 pdc_fkoc.city.local Service closing transmission channel

It looks like you are running a really old version of Blat, can you
verify what version you are running? Just go to a cmd prompt and type
Blat.

JR> We direct our customers to download NTemail.exe, and publish the
JR> following information regarding it.

JR> (New file uploaded 11/08/01)

JR> The file, NTemail.exe, is a self-extracting 156 KB InstallShield
JR> file. After the file is downloaded to your NT server, double-click
JR> it to start the installation process.

What is in NTemail.exe? Can you send me a copy directly (the list does
not pass attachments)?
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
So many cats, so few recipes.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

Jeanne Rogers
2004-06-29 19:50:17 UTC
Tim -

Thank you so much for your assistance. I hope the information below is helpful.

I am trying to determine which version of blat the client is using. I am not able to easily access his Windows server.

You were correct that my command line was broken for readability. Here are some of the instructions that we provide to our clients in order for them to install blat. However, the name of the file we ask them to download from our client web site is called NTemail.exe. Once you double-click on the link that is provided it attempts to download various scripts to a specific drive on the workstation, including the blat.exe. This drive is related to where our clients normally install our application software on their Windows server.

blat -install mailhost.name.domain ***@name.domain

where:

"mailhost.name.domain" is replaced with your SMTP mailservers name and domain name

or IP address and the "***@name.domain" is replaced with the name of your libraries

server and domain name.

NOTE: Some mail servers verify accounts "***@domain.name" as real. Sirsi recommends that

you use a valid email path to both prevent errors in email as well as capture replies from

recipients.

If you type blat at a command prompt the following information is returned:

D:\sirsi\Unicorn\Bincustom>blat
Blat v1.8.6: WinNT/95 console utility to mail a file via SMTP
by P.Mendes, M.Neal, G.Vollant, T. Charron
http://www.blat.net
syntax:
Blat <filename> -to <recipient> [optional switches (see below)]
Blat -profile [-delete | "<default>"] [profile1] [profileN] [-q]
Blat -h [-q]

: set's SMTP server, sender, number of tries and port for profile
(<try n times> and <port> may be replaced by '-').

<filename> : file with the message body ('-' for console input, end with ^Z)

-to <recipient> : recipient list (also -t) (comma separated)
-tf <recipient> : recipient list filename
-subject <subj>: subject line (also -s)
-f <sender> : overrides the default sender address (must be known to server)
-i <addr> : a 'From:' address, not necessarily known to the SMTP server.
-cc <recipient>: carbon copy recipient list (also -c) (comma separated)
-cf <file> : cc recipient list filename
-bcc <recipient>: blind carbon copy recipient list (also -bcc) (comma separated)

-bf <file> : bcc recipient list filename
-organization <organization>: Organization field (also -o and -org)
-body <text> : Message body
-x <X-Header: detail>: Custom 'X-' header. eg: -x "X-INFO: Blat is Great!"
-r : Request return receipt.
-d : Request disposition notification.
-h : displays this help.
-q : supresses *all* output.
-debug : Echoes server communications to screen (disables '-q').
-noh : prevent X-Mailer header from showing homepage of blat
-noh2 : prevent X-Mailer header entirely
-p <profile> : send with SMTP server, user and port defined in <profile>.
-server <addr> : Specify SMTP server to be used. (optionally, addr:port)
-port <port> : port to be used on the server, defaults to SMTP (25)
-hostname <hst>: select the hostname used to send the message
-mime : MIME Quoted-Printable Content-Transfer-Encoding.
-enriched : Send an enriched text message (Content-Type=text/enriched)
-html : Send an HTML message (Content-Type=text/html)
-uuencode : Send (binary) file UUEncoded
-base64 : Send (binary) file using base64 (binary Mime)
-try <n times> : how many time blat should try to send. from '1' to 'INFINITE'
-attach <file> : attach binary file to message (may be repeated)
-attacht <file>: attach text file to message (may be repeated)
-ti <n> : Set timeout to 'n' seconds.
-u <username> : Username for AUTH LOGIN (use with -pw)
-pw <password> : Password for AUTH LOGIN (use with -u)
-log <filename>: Log everything but usage to <filname>

Note that if the '-i' option is used, <sender> is included in 'Reply-to:'
and 'Sender:' fields in the header of the message.

Optionally, the following options can be used instead of the -f and -i

-mailfrom <addr> The RFC 821 MAIL From: statement
-from <addr> The RFC 822 From: statement
-replyto <addr> The RFC 822 Reply-To: statement
-returnpath <addr> The RFC 822 Return-Path: statement
-sender <addr> The RFC 822 Sender: statement

For backward consistency, the -f and -i options have precedence over these
RFC 822 defined options. If both -f and -i options are omitted then the
RFC 821 MAIL FROM statement will be defaulted to use the installation-defined
default sender address

D:\sirsi\Unicorn\Bincustom>

Jeanne Rogers
Client Care - Red Team (Systems)
Sirsi Inc.
1-800-325-0888 (ext. 464)
***@sirsi.com

Ross Kovelman
2004-06-29 20:14:52 UTC
Hello,
I am trying to atatch a .Evt (system event log) from a Windows machine
to be sent to me of course :). I have tried to attach it with a -attach
and a -attacht, is it not possible in some way to do this?
~Ross

2004-06-30 04:15:39 UTC
Post by Ross Kovelman
Hello,
I am trying to atatch a .Evt (system event log) from a Windows machine
to be sent to me of course :). I have tried to attach it with a -attach
and a -attacht, is it not possible in some way to do this?
~Ross
Make sure you are using the correct path to the file, that you have read access to this file, and that you use "-attach" if you are trying to send Windows' system event log (it is a binary file). Also make sure your first argument with blat is either a hyphen (-) or a filename (of a text file).

In case you are trying to email Windows' system event log, your attachment argument should be:

-attach C:\Windows\system32\config\sysevent.evt

Ross Kovelman
2004-06-30 16:13:19 UTC
Hey Ross,

On Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at 9:27:07 AM you wrote

RK> See I thought that Blat could only send .txt files but I guess that
RK> doesnt matter? No?

Nope, Blat will send any type of file you want as an attachment. For
the message body, you only want text (or html) though.

from the syntax...
-attach <file> : attach binary file(s) to message (comma separated)
-attacht <file> : attach text file(s) to message (comma separated)
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net

2004-06-30 04:10:44 UTC
<snipped>
Post by Jeanne Rogers
D:\sirsi\Unicorn\Bincustom>blat
Blat v1.8.6: WinNT/95 console utility to mail a file via SMTP
by P.Mendes, M.Neal, G.Vollant, T. Charron
http://www.blat.net
<snipped>

If the above is what you do get from running Blat, then indeed you do have an old version of Blat, which appears to not support the extended hello commands. It also appears the SMTP server is configured to not support the HELO command. Without support for the HELO command, that old version of Blat will not continue, and it means the server is not RFC compliant. I would go to www.blat.net and download the latest version, this should get your user up and running.

2004-06-29 20:03:04 UTC
Hey Jeanne,

On Tuesday, June 29, 2004 at 3:50:17 PM you wrote

====8<---------------- snip

JR> If you type blat at a command prompt the following information is
JR> returned:

JR> D:\sirsi\Unicorn\Bincustom>blat
JR> Blat v1.8.6: WinNT/95 console utility to mail a file via SMTP
JR> by P.Mendes, M.Neal, G.Vollant, T. Charron
JR> http://www.blat.net

Wow, I have not seen v1.8.6 used yet... The current version is v2.2.2,
what are the chances of you being able to update?

I don't even have a copy of that version to test with (I have older,
and all the recent ones, but not that one). I am guessing it is about
4 years out of date.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.11.02
Junk: stuff we throw away. Stuff: junk we keep.
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2.2, see www.blat.net