Sending SMS through Blat194
m***@rocketmail.com
2010-02-18 10:59:25 UTC
Hi.

I'm quite new to Blat, and my new workplace. However, we're using Blat to send SMS to our developerteam when a job fails. I know how it triggers the job to send a SMS, but I don't know how it manages to send SMS to their phones.

The syntax/command that I've seen is being used:
cmd /c "Blat c:\blat.txt -to ***@xxx.com -s *Telephonenumber* -body "AB klar""

Here are my questions:
1) How does this send a SMS to a phone? the ***@xxx.com is an e-mail address.
2)What is the -s syntax? it calls a telephonenumber, but I don't see it in the list of commands when typing blat.exe in cmd

if someone could explain how this works, or have any idea how it can work I would really like to know. I'm trying to implement the same thing on a different server with exactly the same function. I've tried to copy the whole BLAT folder and followed the same directory path.

Thanks in advance

-Merc
Tim Musson
2010-02-18 14:05:42 UTC
Hey Merc,

On Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 5:59:25 AM you wrote

mrc> I'm quite new to Blat, and my new workplace. However, we're
mrc> using Blat to send SMS to our developerteam when a job fails. I
mrc> know how it triggers the job to send a SMS, but I don't know how
mrc> it manages to send SMS to their phones.

mrc> The syntax/command that I've seen is being used:
mrc> cmd /c "Blat c:\blat.txt -to ***@xxx.com -s *Telephonenumber* -body "AB klar""

mrc> Here are my questions:
mrc> 1) How does this send a SMS to a phone? the ***@xxx.com is an e-mail address.

Blat sends an SMTP message to the eMail address, the provider then
passes it on to the phone.

mrc> 2)What is the -s syntax? it calls a telephonenumber, but I don't
mrc> see it in the list of commands when typing blat.exe in cmd

If you go to a command prompt and type blat it returns the syntax of
all the options. You can also find the syntax on the www.blat.net web
page.

mrc> if someone could explain how this works, or have any idea how it
mrc> can work I would really like to know.

I am not sure what it is you are looking for, but basically Blat is
the sending part of a mail client like ThunderBird. It sends a message
to an SMTP server. That server thens passes it on to it's destination.

mrc> I'm trying to implement the same thing on a different server with
mrc> exactly the same function. I've tried to copy the whole BLAT
mrc> folder and followed the same directory path.

With the above command line, you need more than to just copy the
directory. Blat also needs a server to connect to (-server) and a From
address (-f). With your command above, I can only assume that those
values have been stored in the Registry. Blat does that with the
-install option. You can see what Blat has "installed" with the
blat -profile command.

When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses (including the
munged data in the debug logs, it can be decoded fairly
easily) - it is never a good idea to send that information
to a public list.
Flying with The Bat! eMail v3.99.29
You can't guard against the arbitrary!
Blat Manager, current version is 2.6.2, see www.blat.net
Skough Axel PCA/IT3
2010-02-19 11:01:50 UTC
Hi,

The SMS sending via E-mail is an installation depedent option. Mail is generally routed to a SMTP server with one or more mailboxes used by a SMS gateway program and the SMS gateway polls these mailboxes for outbound SMS regularly in some way. Alerts can be used if an interface is implemented with the SMS gateway.

The SMS gateway is in turn connected to one or mobile terminals, generally implemented as GSM modems and capable of communication with the wireless GSM/GPRS network for sending and receiving traffic.

The Blat itself is not capable of sending outbound GSM/GPRS as it doesn't has any connection defined for this, Blat only sends outbound SMTP traffic to a partner managing SMTP traffic (SMTP server).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Axel

-Merc
Steven R. Hulse
2010-02-19 13:38:23 UTC
I know that with Verizon, I can send an email using (phone
number)@vtext.com which will be received as a text message. I don't know
how other cell providers do this but if the address' you have are vtext,
then my guess would be that they set it up just like a regular message.

Hope that helps some.
Steve
Moore, Bruce
2010-02-19 13:44:27 UTC
AT&T phones can receive test at ***@TXT.ATT.NET
Use the area code +7 digit number

Bruce
________________________________

Skough Axel PCA/IT3
2010-02-19 13:51:30 UTC
A mail addressed to a recipient like (phone number)@vtext.com will be sent via SMTP to the mail server responsible for the vtest.com mail domain, in general named something like mail.vtext.com, and pointed out by a MX record in the DNS.

After this point (when mail is delivered to the mail server) the processing is exclusive under the system owner's full control. He can forward the mail in any way he likes, for example a SMS gateway with its equipment for connecting to the GSM/GPRS wireless network.

Axel

Steve
time
2010-02-19 13:58:48 UTC
I have been successful sending any sms to any carrier using the @vtext.com, to other carriers, even to other countries. The only restriction is a character count of about 120.

Tim.

Skough Axel PCA/IT3
2010-02-19 14:05:14 UTC
OK, I am only describing the way to set up a working SMS gateway to get the message to enter the wireless GSM/GPRS network. This is beyond the scope of the Internet and SMTP mail. The Blat area is that it is a SMTP client solely.

Axel

2010-02-20 22:39:23 UTC
Wow - that surprises me. Obviously, Verizon is forwarding the msg.

I wonder if other vendors do that ... I just tried sending to my sprint phone via both verizon and ATT - neither has arrived yet - while a direct msg went through immediately. So either its not working for me, or to Verizon - or its just slower that using the correct carrier address.

I would worry that a vendor might STOP doing this at some point, without telling you - unless it is part of the agreed upon standards of text messaging ...

Dan
Tim.
Steven R. Hulse
2010-02-20 18:37:26 UTC
You provided some good information Axel, sorry if it may have seemed we
were defeating those. In Merc's case, since he is new to Blat and like I
would have been, he wasn't sure how Blat could send to SMS as the
formatting for that is a little different than SMTP.

What I should have said was that depending on how the service provider
handles email to SMS is up to the provider and not for you to worry
about. The example of Verizon was just that you can send a regular email
to ***@vtext.com and it will come through as an SMS message on
the recipient's side. I do not know how other providers handle this. As
Bruce offered, it looks like ATT does the same. if this is the case then
I bet the majority of providers out there do it the same. Just knowing
the details of the email address is probably what Merc would need. (the
@vtext.com or @TXT.ATT.NET) I'm sure you can google this and find out.

What i would suggest Merc, is if you need to find out the address of the
recipients, Have them send you an email from their phone (if they can)
to your work email address. Be sure they don't just send you a text to
your phone as that won't give you the info you need.

Once you receive the email at your work email, you can see how their
provider formats the email address you need to send to.

Does that help?
dkronsta