What am I doing wrong???
p_holsberg@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-08-26 22:58:47 UTC
Executed from a BAT script:

set subj1=-s "Backup Results"
set debug=-debug -log XXX-blat-debug.log -timestamp
set server=pop.mail.yahoo.com
set port=995
set f=***@yahoo.com
set u=***@yahoo.com
set pw=XXXXXXX
::::::::::::::::: Now we run Blat! :::::::::::::::::

REM taskkill /IM tunnelbear.ui.exe
c:\blat\blat xxcopyTB.log -server %server% -port %port% -f %f% -u %u% -pw %pw% -to ***@pobox.com %subj1% %debug%

This results in

2018.08.26 18:50:35 (Sun)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.2.4 (build : Feb 24 2015 21:29:33)
32-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): *** Error *** SMTP server error
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): Error: Not a socket.
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): Error: Not a socket.
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun)-------------End of Session------------------

Thanks.
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2018-09-05 18:54:10 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [blat]
set subj1=-s "Backup Results"
set debug=-debug -log XXX-blat-debug.log -timestamp
set server=pop.mail.yahoo.com
set port=995
set pw=XXXXXXX
REM taskkill /IM tunnelbear.ui.exe
This results in
2018.08.26 18:50:35 (Sun)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.2.4 (build : Feb 24 2015 21:29:33)
32-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): Error: Wait a bit (possible timeout).
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): *** Error *** SMTP server error
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): Error: Not a socket.
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun): Error: Not a socket.
2018.08.26 18:51:08 (Sun)-------------End of Session------------------
Thanks.
Sorry for the delay, I thought I had answered this already but I do not see any answers.

The problem is that you are trying to connect to yahoo over SSL / TLS, which Blat does not support. I have the same problem here at home for connecting to AT&T (Yahoo) from my cable provider. The easy solution that has worked for me for many years is to use STUNNEL to provide the SSL / TLS encryption required by Yahoo. STUNNEL is a simple program that sits between Blat and the SMTP server, and provides the secure sockets layer (SSL) connection.. The SSL / TLS connection is like having a tunnel bored through a mountain, bypassing any toll gates on the highway. In our case, stunnel provides that tunneling connection. There are many examples of stunnel configuration files that I and others have provided to this list over the years.

Stunnel is free to download and use, and can be retrieved from https://www.stunnel.org/downloads.html. This program is public domain software, regularly maintained by a group of security minded folks. Although I could incorporate these libraries into Blat builds, I would then have to stay on top of any changes to those libraries and make much more frequent releases of Blat as the libraries themselves get updated.

Chip
p_holsberg@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-09-22 18:31:48 UTC
What tells you that I am trying to use SSL/TSL with Yahoo?

This approach has worked in the past with comcast and I'm trying to get a solution that doesn't involve using a third piece of software.

Thanks.
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2018-09-24 20:16:55 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [blat]
What tells you that I am trying to use SSL/TSL with Yahoo?
This approach has worked in the past with comcast and I'm trying to get a solution that doesn't involve using a third piece of software.
Thanks.
These two lines tell me that you are trying access Yahoo with SSL/TLS:

set server=pop.mail.yahoo.com
set port=995

Yahoo requires SSL/TLS to connect with their services. Port 995 also indicates that SSL/TLS is needed to access this port.

When you were using Comcast servers, it most likely was from your home computer with Comcast as your service provider, and you were probably using port 25. In this situation, SSL/TLS is not required.

Chip
P_Holsberg p_holsberg@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-09-24 22:59:06 UTC
Post by 'Chip' ***@att.net [blat]

When you were using Comcast servers, it most likely was from your home
computer with Comcast as your service provider, and you were probably
using port 25.  In this situation, SSL/TLS is not required.
??? The following, executed on my wife's machine, executes w/o error!

c:\blat\blat xxcopy.log -server smtp.comcast.net:587 -f ***@pobox.com
-u specialXYZ -pw <password> -to ***@pobox.com -s backup results
-debug -log blat_debug.log -timestamp
'Moore, Bruce' bamoore@bbandt.com [blat]
2018-09-24 23:13:54 UTC
P Holsberg
From wife’s machine, SSL/TLS is not required – uses Comcast as ISP host
From the “problem” machine, SSL/TLS is required - using a different ISP host (?) on this one?

Is the above correct for your environments?
Thanks
Bruce

When you were using Comcast servers, it most likely was from your home
computer with Comcast as your service provider, and you were probably
using port 25. In this situation, SSL/TLS is not required.
??? The following, executed on my wife's machine, executes w/o error!

c:\blat\blat xxcopy.log -server smtp.comcast.net:587 -f ***@pobox..com
-u specialXYZ -pw <password> -to ***@pobox.com -s backup results
-debug -log blat_debug.log -timestamp

The information in this transmission may contain proprietary and non-public information of BB&T or its affiliates and may be subject to protection under the law. The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete the material from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission.

P_Holsberg p_holsberg@yahoo.com [blat]
2018-09-30 00:32:29 UTC
I don't see why. The two machines are on the same network.
Post by 'Moore, Bruce' ***@bbandt.com [blat]
P Holsberg
Post by 'Moore, Bruce' ***@bbandt.com [blat]
From wife’s machine, SSL/TLS is not required – uses Comcast as ISP host
From the “problem” machine, SSL/TLS is required - using a different ISP host (?) on this one?
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 6:59 PM
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
'neeraj.kandpal@colliers.com' neeraj.kandpal@colliers.com [blat]
2018-10-04 08:36:20 UTC
Good Morning,

Please see attached.

2018-09-25 04:20:34 UTC
Post by P_Holsberg ***@yahoo.com [blat]
Post by 'Chip' ***@att.net [blat]
When you were using Comcast servers, it most likely was from your home computer with Comcast as your service provider, and you were probably using port 25. In this situation, SSL/TLS is not required.
??? The following, executed on my wife's machine, executes w/o error!
My local ISP is not Comcast, so I can only guess what Comcast does or what it allows. Since you are on Comcast, I will presume Comcast is not requiring SSL/TLS for connections from its own network. If you attempt to connect to a server other than from Comcast, then SSL/TLS is most likely required to prevent your credentials from being sniffed by equipment between you and the intended POP and SMTP servers. SSL and TLS are encryption standards, designed to prevent anyone from determining what data you are sending and receiving, including user ids and passwords. So far, TLS provides a stronger method of preventing your data from being sniffed out than does SSL.

If you review the Yahoo pages, you will find they require SSL/TLS connections. Here is the page to review:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html

Incoming Mail (POP) Server

a.. Server - pop.mail.yahoo.com
b.. Port - 995
c.. Requires SSL - Yes
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

a.. Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
b.. Port - 465 or 587
c.. Requires SSL - Yes
d.. Requires TLS - Yes (if available)
e.. Requires authentication - Yes
Your login info

a.. Email address - Your full email address (***@domain.com.)
b.. Password - Your account's password.
c.. Requires authentication - Yes
For me at home, I use different profiles with Blat so I can choose to use SSL/TLS or not, on a per server basis. When sending to my local cable provider, I do not need SSL or TLS, so I tell Blat to send directly to my service provider’s SMTP server on port 25. When sending to any other SMTP server, such as AT&T that I use most frequently, then I use a program called stunnel to provide the SSL/TLS connections. For these other servers, I have Blat configured to send to 127.0.0.1 on different ports that I have designated for different SMTP servers. My stunnel configuration file tells stunnel on which ports to listen, and where to route traffic when anything is received on those ports it is listening to. Stunnel can run when Windows starts, it sits in the background quietly listening for any connections to ports it is configured to listen to. This program occupies less than 5 MBytes of memory, and no CPU cycles when quietly listening.

Stunnel can be freely downloaded from https://www.stunnel.org/. If you want help getting it configured to use with Yahoo, I can post my configuration file again, or you can search the Yahoo messages for stunnel and find many references to this fine program and configuration files.