Delete file after sending
marchaw@hotmail.com [blat]
2016-06-29 02:06:58 UTC
For blat.exe <filename> , is there an option to automatically delete the file specified by <filename> after (successful) sending? Or can such an option be added?

We're launching blat.exe as a process to send customized emails. Because it is launched as a process, and run time is undetermined, it's tricky to delete the file from the app that launched blat.exe

Thank you.
Rich Pasco rich@pasco.org [blat]
2016-06-30 00:32:48 UTC
It's easy in a BAT command shell script:

blat %filename% ...
if not errorlevel 1 del %filename%

I hope this helps.

- Rich
Thank you.
marchaw@hotmail.com [blat]
2016-06-30 01:41:41 UTC
Thank you for suggestion. I was hoping that a small option could be added into blat, as to avoid having to pass parameters to the .bat file, and from there on to blat.exe. All very hard to maintain and prone to errors.

Warm regards,
Marcha
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2016-07-01 03:17:52 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com [blat]
Thank you for suggestion. I was hoping that a small option could be added into blat, as to avoid having to pass parameters to the .bat file, and from there on to blat.exe. All very hard to maintain and prone to errors.
Warm regards,
Marcha
Yes, it is possible to include an option for this in a future release. I am thinking it might be called /delmsgfile

Chip
marchaw@hotmail.com [blat]
2016-07-01 03:42:53 UTC
That would be fantastic, thank you. Let me know if you'd like me to do any early testing.

Best,
Marcha
'Mike Mattos' mmattos@rogers.com [blat]
2016-07-01 14:10:09 UTC
One caution

For no apparent reason, I periodically get messages like

2016-07-01 14:32:17 UTC
A while ago I used BLAT to send out a group of messages to people and found that the server that I was going through would watch for large volumes and just not allow all the emails to be sent if they were “too many too quickly”. I put a 2 second delay between each BLAT execution and it solved the problem. Yes, It took a couple of minutes to send all the emails, but that was better than losing some of them.

I would look for mail server/service that doesn’t restrict you like that.

Ernest

For no apparent reason, I periodically get messages like

Chip
chris.weadick@gmail.com [blat]
2016-07-04 13:25:58 UTC
can you consider a flag or something?

Maybe people do not want to delete it but want to move it off to another folder for archive (validation if people call asking why they didn't receive the email or legal purposes as proof it was sent). I am aware of the log file.

might need two?

-OnSuccess <attribute>
-OnFailure <attribute>

if email address provided as argument then it emails the email addy provided.

if UNC then it saves the attachment at the location (what may be 'kewl' would be to also save the blat execution string for that one attachment using the attachment name and extension of .bat

if <delete> then deletes the file completely (warning - completely deletes does not leave a copy in the trash/wastebasket)

if <waste> it deletes it but leaves it in the wastebasket/trashbin (depending on what you coded this?)

just a thought
marchaw@hotmail.com [blat]
2017-09-07 20:59:00 UTC
I wanted to follow up on this to see if it is possible to add the /delmsgfile option.

Thank you.
'Axel Skough' axel@skough.se [blat]
2017-09-08 07:05:21 UTC
It would of course be technically possible to extend the Blat program in any direction depending on the actual operating system and the runtime options available.

But why do you want to make a DELETE option available from within the Blat? It is an operating system feature, indeed a part of the Disk Operating Systen, builtin Catalog Management etc depending on the actual platform.

It would be a better idea to avoid such complexi9ties inside an application program. You can, on most platforms, use a script system and build a chain och functions wiyhin this system to make the operational functionality you want, for example, the INVOKE (Blat) is one operation, DELETE (a file) is another.
It should not be a complex task to build the desired execution process architecture with several action components involved on any platform.

I would strongly discourage and warn for making a single component too complex. It is a part which can be used to build the desired runtime functionality, but every single component should be kept as simple as possible.
Axel

I wanted to follow up on this to see if it is possible to add the /delmsgfile option.

Thank you.
'Moore, Bruce' bamoore@bbandt.com [blat]
2017-09-08 12:51:17 UTC
“I would strongly discourage and warn for making a single component too complex. It is a part which can be used to build the desired runtime functionality, but every single component should be kept as simple as possible.”

Totally agree with this – the operating system has options to “clean up” any files, I strongly suggest using those options and keeping BLAT as it is – a wonderful messaging service option.

Bruce

2016-06-29 13:04:04 UTC
what we happen to do is write a script which gets repeated for each instance

verify if sending file is there
send the file
move the file to a "done" folder

I am sure you can get fancy and do an if condition on success flag but we have not made it to that point yet.

Would be a good idea but we only have a fail about once every 3mths and it is someone new with a messed up email address, not a blat issue.