Getting various "X does not exist" messages when using Blat.
jselkins
2005-10-31 02:13:44 UTC
For example, "-server does not exist", "-to does not exist", etc. Does
that mean the specified flag doesn't exist or the actual server,
recipient address, etc., doesn't exist?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
Chip
2005-10-31 04:42:17 UTC
Post by jselkins
For example, "-server does not exist", "-to does not exist", etc. Does
that mean the specified flag doesn't exist or the actual server,
recipient address, etc., doesn't exist?
---------------
Post by jselkins
By the way, I did try using a dash as the first parameter so I can
send the message specified by -body instead of all file. All that does
is cause Blat to echo the help file (which is no help with this
problem in the first place).
---------------

Those messages you mentioned are telling you that the named items were
either missing from your command line, or do not exist (server name). In
the case of a bad server name, run "tracert your_servername", replacing
your_servername with the name of your SMTP server. For example: tracert
mail.att.net

A copy of your Blat command line would help us answer your questions.
Please change any personal info to /munged/ and the server name to
example.org.
--
Chip

http://www.blat.net
jselkins
2005-10-31 05:08:12 UTC
Chip,

I don't think Blat is even trying to connect to the SMTP server, which
works for Thunderbird, IndigoMail, and a few other mailers I was
looking at. It seems to be choking on the parameters before it even
gets to that point. Here's my command line:

Blat - -server smtp.my.isp.net -t ***@my.isp.net -s
Simple Test -body This is a test using Blat. -f
***@my.isp.net -try 3

Cheers,
James
http://www.blat.net
Tim Musson
2005-10-31 12:27:19 UTC
Hey James,

On Monday, October 31, 2005 at 12:08:12 AM you wrote

j> I don't think Blat is even trying to connect to the SMTP server, which
j> works for Thunderbird, IndigoMail, and a few other mailers I was
j> looking at. It seems to be choking on the parameters before it even
j> gets to that point. Here's my command line:

j> Blat - -server smtp.my.isp.net -t ***@my.isp.net -s
j> Simple Test -body This is a test using Blat. -f
j> ***@my.isp.net -try 3

Try changing your Blat command line to include " chars around any parm
that has spaces (or other odd chars). so it would look like this, but
all on one line.

Blat -
-server smtp.my.isp.net
-t ***@my.isp.net
-s "Simple Test"
-body "This is a test using Blat."
-f ***@my.isp.net
-try 3
-debug
-log blat.log

Blat uses spaces on the command line to figure out what is an option
key and what is a value, and where one option/key pair and another are
separated...

When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses - it is never
a good idea to send that information to a public list.
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
Homepage:
http://www.blat.net
jselkins
2005-10-31 15:45:39 UTC
Tim,

Placing quotes around the subject and body text solved the issue. I
should've thought of that myself. Thanks for your help, guy!

Cheers,
James
Hey James,
http://www.blat.net
Chip
2005-10-31 14:40:56 UTC
Post by jselkins
Chip,
I don't think Blat is even trying to connect to the SMTP server, which
works for Thunderbird, IndigoMail, and a few other mailers I was
looking at. It seems to be choking on the parameters before it even
Simple Test -body This is a test using Blat. -f
Cheers,
James
First, I would use the -install option to store your server information to
the Windows registry, where Blat can access it in the future. This allows
you to concentrate on sending messages without also having to write your
server info each time.

Blat -install smtp.my.isp.net ***@my.isp.net 3

After that, you can run Blat with your other command line parameters, with
quotation marks, like this:

Blat - -t ***@my.isp.net -s "Simple Test" -body "This is a test
using Blat."

or

Blat - -t myself -s "Simple Test" -body "This is a test using Blat."

The keyword "myself" in the To: address tells Blat to get the address from
your -f parameter, or from the Windows registry if you've already run
the -install option.
--
Chip

http://www.blat.net
jselkins
2005-10-31 16:09:45 UTC
Chip,

I did run the installer. The command line is being generated by a PHP
script that is designed to handle situations other than those covered
by the registry entries. I'm not typing the whole thing out each time.

Is it possible to use popen() and fputs() with Blat in a manner
similar to using Sendmail?

Cheers,
James
http://www.blat.net
Tim Musson
2005-10-31 18:27:15 UTC
Hey jselkins,

On Monday, October 31, 2005 at 11:09:45 AM you wrote

j> I did run the installer. The command line is being generated by a PHP
j> script that is designed to handle situations other than those covered
j> by the registry entries. I'm not typing the whole thing out each time.

j> Is it possible to use popen() and fputs() with Blat in a manner
j> similar to using Sendmail?

That depends on how you use it to call sendmail... Blat is *not* a
sendmail replacement.

I am assuming you are referring to PHP code there, right?

I went to http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.popen.php and without
trying, I would say you should be able to do something like this...

<?php
$handle = popen("b:\path\Blat.exe", "- -to ***@mail.tld -s Subj");
?>

I don't know about fputs() or fwrite(). Didn't spend much time on it.

As a note, if you can call a DLL, Blat has a DLL distribution too.
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v2.12.00
I Work Hard Because Millions On Welfare Depend on Me!

http://www.blat.net
jselkins
2005-10-31 19:19:16 UTC
Tim,

Yes, this is for PHP. I may tool around with it later just out of
curiosity although, as it turns out, Richard Heyes' PHP MIME mail
tools pretty much have all of my mail needs covered. So I probably
won't be using any third-party executables at this point. I did enjoy
the learning experience though. Thanks again, guys!

Cheers,
James