SMTP server error from smtp.comcast.net
Rich Pasco
2004-12-21 17:10:49 UTC
I use BLAT 2.2.2. in a loop in a command file to send a message to a list
of subscribers. A typical command line looks like this:

BLAT message.txt -noh2 -from "Rich Pasco <***@pasco.org>" -to "Joe User <***@hotmail.com>" -sf subject.txt

This works perfectly, except when I connect via Comcast Cable to
smtp.comcast.net, in which case the first few messages are sent OK,
then eventually one gets this response:

SMTP server error
Error: Connection to server was dropped.
connection::put_data() unexpected error from send(): 10053
Error: Error sending data.

I can adjust the time delay between transmissions. If I adjust my script
to wait a few seconds between each message, then three or four copies of
my message are sent before getting the above error, but it always happens.

If I use a different SMTP server, there is no problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

- Rich

Doug Jenkins
2004-12-21 17:33:43 UTC
Hi Rich,
I do not have an answer, but I run my script in a similar fashion, and occasionally get the dropped message as well. I include "-try 10" in my options file, and the retry has always worked...
Doug
[...]

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Al Franz
2004-12-21 18:12:02 UTC
I have had the same results. Comcast has some protection to prevent people
from using there servers to SPAM. You can not continously start a send
transmission every few seconds. Can't recall what the time required to wait
is but it could be a full minute.

--Al

loosegroove2000
2004-12-22 00:01:22 UTC
This is a setting at Comcast that is causing this. Comcast is very
restrictive on sending multiple emails in a short period of time.
This has been discussed in depth in the Comcast forums
(http://forums.comcast.net/).

You will have to find the right mix of settings using the "-maxNames"
and "-delay" switches.

Good luck.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM
g***@terabites.com
2004-12-23 00:56:19 UTC
Post by Rich Pasco
If I use a different SMTP server, there is no problem.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem?
Yeah, as the others have said, it's an anti-spam measure that Comcast does. I
haven't been able to get them to tell me what one needs to do, exactly, to not
run afoul of it.

When sending individual E-mails, each to one person, I've found through trial
and error that waiting 20 seconds between sends seems to work well.

The "try 10 times" approach is **not** generally successful (although it tends
to OFTEN be); I've watched it go as many as FIFTY tries and not be successful,
but works fine after waiting a while before trying again.

I wish Comcast weren't such jerks about this, or that they'd let us use our own
SMTP servers.... either here or elsewhere on the Net, but apparently they block
port 25 to try to prevent that. :-(

Gordon Peterson http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002 Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections! http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

2004-12-23 01:10:06 UTC
Post by Rich Pasco
[...]
The idea is to reduce spam coming from their network. If Comcast allowed
all users to run their own servers, with the inability for users to apply
security, their network would be overrun within 24 hours from launch. This
is not being a jerk on their part, this is a legitimate tactic to reduce
problems stemming from their network. This tactic also slows the spread of
email viruses, although it does nothing on its own to slow other forms of
attack. So, the choices are: be clueless like Cable & Wireless, or be
proactive to slow the spread of spam.

As for access to SMTP servers elsewhere on the Internet, have you considered
using a tunneling protocol? I use stunnel to access AT&T with no problems,
Comcast does not block port 465 used for SSL.

If you need a delay in your batch files, go to
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5537.htm. Download the .zip file and
extract delay.exe. This is freeware, and takes one parameter -- the number
of seconds to pause.

Rich Pasco
2004-12-23 19:12:57 UTC
Post by Chip
If you need a delay in your batch files, go to
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5537.htm. Download the .zip file and
extract delay.exe. This is freeware, and takes one parameter -- the number
of seconds to pause.
Unaware of this utility, I had written my own ("sleep") and I make it
available here: http://home.earthlink.net/~richpasco/utilities/sleep/

- Rich

namtog
2004-12-24 13:51:03 UTC
Post by Rich Pasco
Post by Chip
extract delay.exe. This is freeware, and takes one parameter -- the number
of seconds to pause.
Unaware of this utility, I had written my own ("sleep") and I make it
http://home.earthlink.net/~richpasco/utilities/sleep/
Post by Rich Pasco
- Rich
Greetings,

Thanks for both of the above. One minor nit for the first link.
Remove the extra dot in the URL to get;
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5537.htm

Namtog

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM