S-tunnel help
Er Dixon EDixon5019@hotmail.com [blat]
2016-12-31 08:11:28 UTC
All the applications that I had working using BLAT have recently stopped working, on multiple PC's. I don't know if it is because of recent WINDOWS updates, updates to Microsoft email services, or just what.
I have never used Stunnel, but I would like to learn how to use it.
Is there a good document that you can refer me to, or a sample piece of code (.BAT file) that I can learn from?
The emails I will be sending will be using a HOTMAIL account for their user and password.

Help please
Ernest
'Chip' chip.programmer@att.net [blat]
2016-12-31 21:21:29 UTC
Post by Er Dixon ***@hotmail.com [blat]
All the applications that I had working using BLAT have recently stopped
working, on multiple PC’s. I don’t know if it is because of recent WINDOWS
updates, updates to Microsoft email services, or just what.
I have never used Stunnel, but I would like to learn how to use it.
Is there a good document that you can refer me to, or a sample piece of
code (.BAT file) that I can learn from?
The emails I will be sending will be using a HOTMAIL account for their user and password.
Help please
Ernest,

Here is my stunnel.conf file that works with Hotmail, along with AT&T,
Gmail, and Office365. To use these settings, when I want to send through
Hotmail, I tell Blat to use IP 127.0.0.1 and port 8002 (-server
127.0.0.1:8002). These can be set with the -install command line option for
Blat. If you plan to use only Hotmail servers, you can set these as the
default values. If you want to use other servers as well, then you should
create a Hotmail profile with these values and then use the -profile option
to choose which values to use for Blat.

As for a good document for using Stunnel specifically, I would hope there is
something available from the stunnel.org website
(https://www.stunnel.org/docs.html). I have stunnel configured to start
with Windows so it is running before I need to use Blat.

Chip

CAfile = cert.pem
cert = client.pem
client = yes
RNDfile = .rnd
sslVersion = TLSv1
fips = no

[att yahoo smtp]
accept = 25
connect = outbound.att.net:465

[att yahoo pop3]
accept = 110
connect = inbound.att.net:995

[hotmail smtp]
accept = 8002
connect = smtp.live.com:587
protocol = smtp

[hotmail pop3]
accept = 9002
connect = pop3.live.com:995

[gmail smtp]
accept = 27
connect = smtp.gmail.com:587
protocol = smtp

[fdf client]
accept = 28
connect = smtp.office365.com:587
sslVersion = all
options = NO_SSLv2
protocol = smtp
Er Dixon EDixon5019@hotmail.com [blat]
2017-01-08 01:36:53 UTC
Chip (and anyone else that wants to chime in),

Somehow, for this computer professional, this just isn’t coming together.

I downloaded STUNNEL and installed it. It had an icon in the Notification area of my toolbar and I can bring up a log file:

:56 LOG5[main]: stunnel 5.38 on x86-pc-msvc-1500 platform
:56 LOG5[main]: Compiled/running with OpenSSL 1.0.2j-fips 26 Sep 2016
:56 LOG5[main]: Threading:WIN32 Sockets:SELECT,IPv6 TLS:ENGINE,FIPS,OCSP,PSK,SNI
:56 LOG5[main]: Reading configuration from file stunnel.conf
:56 LOG5[main]: UTF-8 byte order mark detected
:56 LOG5[main]: FIPS mode disabled
:56 LOG5[main]: Configuration successful

From the documentation that you referred me to below, I don’t see where to place the configuration file so that it will find it. (I would prefer to stay away from modifying the registry if possible. When I run BLAT, I just specify everything and do not save to the registry.)

I don’t understand at all what a certificate has to do with this. Do I have to go someplace and buy a certificate to make this work?

I know that by posting to the Yahoo Group, what we do here may help someone else, but I am seriously embarrassed by how poorly I am doing getting this to work and would appreciate some private help with this. My work schedule only allows me one day a week to work on this.

Ernest

protocol = smtp
'Doug Jenkins' doug_jenkins@comcast.net [blat]
2017-01-08 02:33:03 UTC
Hi Ed,

Two quick items from memory:

1. I left the config file where it put it and use the menu option to update it as needed. I copy it as needed to make a backup.
2. For a certificate there was an option in the doc to create a self-signed cert and that has worked ok for me.

HTH,

Doug

protocol = smtp
Er Dixon EDixon5019@hotmail.com [blat]
2017-01-09 09:31:50 UTC
Thanks Doug for the reply

Where is this “Menu option”?
Ernest

protocol = smtp
'Doug Jenkins' doug_jenkins@comcast.net [blat]
2017-01-12 22:16:37 UTC
Sorry, menu is a bad choice of words. In the stunnel folder under All Programs is an option to edit stunnel.conf.

protocol = smtp
Er Dixon EDixon5019@hotmail.com [blat]
2017-01-29 23:48:51 UTC
Doug,
Progress, I found the place to edit the Stunnel.conf file, thanks.
I still do not have the certificate issue handled.
Can you give me more information, such as where to find the tools to create my own certificate and what do I have to put into it?

Thanks,
Ernest

Sorry, menu is a bad choice of words. In the stunnel folder under All Programs is an option to edit stunnel.conf.
Doug
doug_jenkins@comcast.net [blat]
2017-01-30 00:01:32 UTC
Hi Ernest,
I created my certificate a while ago but there is another option in the program folder, “Build a self-signed stunnel.pem”. This creates the self-signed certificate and puts it in Program Files (x86)\stunnel\config. I think I ran it as-is. Then you add it to your stunnel.conf. Mine is as follows, with the comment line you should find in yours:
; Certificate/key is needed in server mode and optional in client mode
cert = stunnel.pem

Hope this helps.
Doug
Ps and if any one sees something I did wrong, please let me know! :)

2017-01-30 00:29:37 UTC
I tried what you said, found the build you mentioned below and a certificate was created in the folder.
When I tried BLAT, here is what I got:

Blat v3.2.16 (build : Aug 7 2016 22:51:52)
64-bit Windows, Full, Unicode

2017-01-30 00:48:36 UTC
Make sure you update your stunnel.conf to include the cert. The place I mentioned are the only references to stunnel.pem in mine.
And make sure you specify your service stunnel is connecting to. The blat website has an example one of Chip’s that I used as a starter.
For my Comcast and gmail connections I have:
[comcast-smtp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.comcast.net:465
[gmail-smtp]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:143
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

And you might need also to add something like this to enable logging so you can see any errors:
output = c:\MyEmail\Logs\stunnel.log

'Skand Bhargava' skand@softoolsme.com [blat]
2017-01-09 09:41:04 UTC
When you start stunnel - on top.