blat query - Can anyone help please?
Jeremy Banks
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Hi

I've just discovered blat and it works very well if I want to send a
straight forward <filename> of type .txt

Is it possible to send a file which has eg. different fonts/colours etc
using blat. I have tried sending a Word Doc saved as type .htm but the html
tags etc do not get translated.

Looking forward to hearing of a solution....

Best Regards

Jeremy Banks.

Jeremy Banks.
Romson Christer
2003-01-31 08:24:17 UTC
Blat works if I want to send a file of type .txt. Is it possible
to send a file which has eg. different fonts/colours etc?
I have tried sending a Word Doc saved as type .htm but the
html tags etc do not get translated.
You can attach any file with the -attach switch. It's for
attachments that should be treated as any binary data, and
be left unchanged and untranslated by e-mail software. I'm
not sure if that's what you want, though.

What do you mean by html tags not being "translated"? What
kind of translation is it that you want?

Christer
Jeremy Banks
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Hi Christer

Thank you for your reply.

It's not the attachment I'm having problems with....- attach works fine. It
s the main body of the email which causes the problem - it only works with
Unicode txt. I would ideally like the main body to be eg. a Word doc
(possibly saved as html, or similar) which allows fonts and colours.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks
Jeremy

Christer
L.Willms
2003-01-31 20:36:51 UTC
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:55:09 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time), Jeremy Banks
Post by Jeremy Banks
I would ideally like the main body to be eg. a Word doc
(possibly saved as html, or similar) which allows fonts and colours.
Any ideas how to resolve this?
Somebody else already asked if you had looked into the -html option.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
Chip
2003-01-31 20:22:45 UTC
Jeremy,

If you are trying to send a real .htm/.html file, not a .doc file with a
.htm/.html extension, then -body <filename> will work. On the other hand,
if your copy of Word is not saving your document as a strict .htm/.html,
then blat will read your file until it reaches a Ctrl-Z (0x1A), which is an
end-of-file marker for text files. Blat opens the file as a text file, not
as a binary file.

A good utility to have is list.com, with this you can view (not edit) the
contents of any file in text or binary mode. You can verify the contents of
your Word file to make sure it truly is textual, not a Word document in
disguise.

Chip

Jeremy replied:

Jeremy
Jeremy Banks
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Chip / Lüko

Thank you for your emails.

I have downloaded the lastest version of blat from the Internet (Version 1.9
4) and the -body option is not recognised (even though it states -body was
added in 1.8.4d).

You mention below that "Blat opens the file as a text file, not as a binary
file". Do you mean that my original request is not possible, since I wish
blat to read a binary file for the main body of the email.

I also tried using the -html option, but without success (have I used the
correct syntax for -html ???)

blat "C:\util\My_Email.html" -html -subject "Email subject" -to Jeremy
***@Powermaxit.com -server smtp.ntlworld.com -attach
c:\util\Sample_attachment.doc" -f ***@PowermaxIT.com

Jeremy
Chip
2003-02-01 14:27:57 UTC
Version 1.9.4 does recognise -body option, as long as you use the hyphen
('-'), and have no spaces between it and 'body'. I know that shouldn't be
said, but sometimes the simplest mistakes are overlooked. BTDT.

To use the -body option, using your example below, here is a sample line,
though you will need to remove the line breaks added here:

blat -body C:\util\My_Email.html -html
-subject "Email subject" -to ***@Powermaxit.com
-server smtp.ntlworld.com -attach c:\util\Sample_attachment.doc
-f ***@PowermaxIT.com

I will follow this up with an email to you through blat shortly.
The -attach option specifies the attachment is to be treated as binary,
allowing blat to send the entire file. Word documents are binary, not text
files, so using -attach is correct.

The -server and -f options should not be necessary if you previously used
the -install option to properly store configuration information:

blat -install smtp.ntlworld.com ***@powermaxit.com

This brings up another topic for future reference, even though it does not
appear to apply in your case right now. The smtp server you use should be
reachable on port 25 from your workstation. Many ISPs block outbound port
25 so they aren't used to relay spam.

Chip

Jeremy
Chip
2003-02-01 14:37:33 UTC
Maybe what's missing here is what the -body is used for. Its purpose is to
specify the full text of your email, not for specifying the file to be used
as the message. This below will use your file contents as the message,
rather than using the filename as the message itself.

Chip
Jeremy Banks
2003-02-02 12:49:38 UTC
Thank you all (Chip, Lüko, Harri) for your help - my problem is now
resolved. Blat was not actually the cause of the problem. When I save
a word doc which had a .gif image in it, as an html doc, the html did
not specify the path of where the gif file was physically located, just
the name of the file. So I had to correct that manually. Putting
"-html" after the html doc seems to work just fine.

Thanks again,
Jeremy Banks

-subject "Email subject" -to ***@Powermaxit.com -server

Harri Pesonen
2003-02-01 15:15:13 UTC
I always add - as a first parameter, then -body works at least, like this:

blat - -body "asfd" ...

[...]

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com