Anyone know a utility that triggers an action ...?
manfred.winter@yahoo.com [blat]
2017-11-30 02:58:06 UTC
Need to monitor a folder and Run a batch file with blat once a file with certain name and/or extension is stored therein.
Any suggestions?
'Skand Bhargava' skand@softoolsme.com [blat]
2017-11-30 04:02:14 UTC
Unless you want the batch file to run the moment that specified file comes into existence, you can always use Windows Scheduler to check the folder at a given frequency. Using a batch file, the DIR command will give rise to ERRORLEVEL value which can be used for doing what you want.

Skand Bhargava

Any suggestions?
Wim Jongejan wjongejan@ymail.com [blat]
2017-11-30 08:42:56 UTC
I also use Windows scheduler to run a batch file (every five minutes)

Met vriendelijke groet,
Wim
Any suggestions?
manfred.winter@yahoo.com [blat]
2017-11-30 09:15:29 UTC
Windows scheduler is certainly an option. But I googled a bit on how the schedules are stored in Windows, as our solution needs to be deployed with minimum effort on individual client PCs, and what I have found here so far is a bit like a mine field. So I would prefer a utility which can ideally be installed as a service and can read its parameters from a config file. A service that runs every x minutes instead of monitoring is also possible of course. I like the idea with dir and error level, so I need a way to run this batch file every n minutes with as automated installation as possible.
'Skand Bhargava' skand@softoolsme.com [blat]
2017-11-30 09:55:55 UTC
The "AT" command perhaps can be run during your installation. One issue may arise that scheduler needs administrative rights. During installation of your software most probably administrative rights will anyway be required. So why not during installation use the windows AT command? I haven't done it myself - in fact few years back I tried for about an hour and gave up on this "AT" way of scheduling and went stright to the scheduler GUI...however it is worth a try in my opinion.

2017-11-30 10:02:03 UTC
You can also think of a VB script with "sleep" in a loop. Start it minimised or as service at computer startup.

'Mike Mattos' mmattos@rogers.com [blat]
2017-11-30 12:54:03 UTC
If using DIR make sure to check the file size isn’t zero!

Any suggestions?
'Moore, Bruce' bamoore@bbandt.com [blat]
2017-11-30 13:43:33 UTC
I wrote a DOS script to check for the file name in path and move it as needed – used the Windows Server Scheduler to execute the script every 10 minutes

BA Moore

2017-11-30 17:37:53 UTC
There is another tool called System Scheduler from Splinterware that I have been using for many years. I use it mostly for triggering batch files to run blat for my several daily emails I send out, and I use the File Watcher component to watch for an error file which tells me I forgot to create the file I am using blat to send.

Doug

2017-11-30 13:47:59 UTC
Sorry – didn’t see that everyone had already suggested this

2017-11-30 14:05:49 UTC
Not quite certain regarding the current status bur some years ago I worked with the Opalis Robot software for such purposes. It was an excellent tool for monitoring and triggering events in a Windows based system although somewhat expensive and best suited for large enterprise installations.

However, in 2012 the Opalis Robot software was catched by the Microsoft and included in their System Center software for enterprise installations.

As I retired in 2011 and nowadays I am a pensioner I don’t know much about the Microsoft expansion strategy these days five years ago, but you can have a look on this article from the Microsoft Technet:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh420355(v=sc.12).aspx

Myself, I feel sad to see such an evolvement for good software when the Microsoft is involved although not such a catastrophic failure as with the Microsoft Nokia enrollement around 2012. At this time some of the worsest industrial failures ever occurred
.. The Microsoft Nokia affair is known to be one of the largest industrial losses ever occurred.

But maybe the Microsoft System Center product can help you to enable a good automated runtime environment as indicated by you? At least, bave a look on this!

Kind rregards,

Axel

Any suggestions?
'Christopher E Satterfield' cesae@comcast.net [blat]
2017-11-30 17:30:46 UTC
We have used this product with great success for almost anything you could throw at it or dream up where scheduling, monitoring and triggering events have been concerned. Although a bit pricey, it has never failed us in its abilities and wide variety of uses. Perhaps more of a corporate based application but very easy to use, configure, administer and log.

https://www.visualcron.com/

Kindest regards,

C Satterfield
'Skand Bhargava' skand@softoolsme.com [blat]
2017-12-01 11:37:35 UTC
Yup, it is PRICEY! Starting at USD 449/- for single server. I am sure it does many things more than just scheduling (though "cron" from good old UNIX days makes one think it is only about scheduling).

C Satterfield
'Sensei J. Richard Kirkham B.Sc' tutor2000@yahoo.com [blat]
2017-12-01 18:25:21 UTC
Have you looked at Autoit? It's Windows based.
Rick

In Home Computer Lessons and Virus Removal for Honolulu Hawaii and All of Oahu and Remotely for The World

http://InHomeComputerHelp.com
Meet Me

#yiv4770969828 #yiv4770969828 -- #yiv4770969828 .yiv4770969828ygrp-photo-title{clear:both;font-size:smaller;min-height:15px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;width:75px;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828ygrp-photo{background-position:center;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-color:white;border:1px solid black;min-height:62px;width:62px;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828photo-title a, #yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828photo-title a:active, #yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828photo-title a:hover, #yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828attach-table div.yiv4770969828attach-row {clear:both;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828attach-table div.yiv4770969828attach-row div {float:left;}#yiv4770969828 p {clear:both;padding:15px 0 3px 0;overflow:hidden;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828ygrp-file {width:30px;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828attach-table div.yiv4770969828attach-row div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828attach-table div.yiv4770969828attach-row div div span {font-weight:normal;}#yiv4770969828 div.yiv4770969828ygrp-file-title {font-weight:bold;}#yiv4770969828 #yiv4770969828

C Satterfield
Graeme Wellington graeme.l.wellington@gmail.com [blat]
2017-12-01 12:49:03 UTC
TheFolderSpy does this and it is free.

Sent from my iPad
2017-12-02 08:19:21 UTC
Yes - that is the one.

I am using it on Windows Server 21021 R2 and Windows Server 2016.

I have set it up as a service and call it from a Vbscript so I can capture error codes and TheFolderSpy in turn executes a nominated action.

I use it to then execute several executables via Apache Tomcat.

Sent from my iPad
Post by Graeme Wellington ***@gmail.com [blat]
TheFolderSpy does this and it is free.
You mean this one: http://venussoftcorporation.blogspot.de/2010/05/thefolderspy.html
-ITS FREE.
-Small size (60 KB download).
-Simple to use.
-Portable (No installation, carry in your thumb drive).
-Monitor any number of folders in real-time.
-Execute a file when a change is detected(plays wav files, executes other files).
-Fully automated (Run and forget).
-Monitor many types of changes: Creation,Deletion, Attributes changes, Access date, Filesize changes etc.
-Auto start (optional).
-Can write logs.
-Monitor specific files in a folder.
-INCOGNITO MODE.
-Send EMAIL when a change is detected. [custom SMTP also available!]
-And many many more...
(My emphasis)
--
Mit freundlichen GrÌßen
LÃŒko Willms
Graeme Wellington graeme.l.wellington@gmail.com [blat]
2017-12-02 19:38:40 UTC
TheFolderSpy
Example of I use it:
From my controlling application I create a 1 line text file with a designated file extension I.e. .tx1, .tx2, .tx3., which is written to the TheFolderSpy monitoring directory.

I’m TheFolderSpy I have registered a corresponding action for each extension.

When TheFolderSpy sees the file appear it executes the associated action.

In my scenario it callls a Vbscript which reads the text file which contains the command line and parameters for the target application I want to execute; I.e. Blat.

The Vbscript captures the exit code from Blat, cleans up, and then writes an audit of the event.