some basic questions...
Ray Belt
2003-09-24 00:55:17 UTC
what are the blat.dll and blat.lib files for? can I just copy
blat.exe to a stations, run blat -install and go from there?

Also, if I use scheduler to run blat, it seems to need a command
window to run. Will blat run if the user is not loged in?

great program! exactly what I needed @ for a client today!

//RB

Upgrade to 128-Bit SSL Security!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/p7cEmB/s7qGAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM
Chip
2003-09-24 01:03:24 UTC
Post by Ray Belt
what are the blat.dll and blat.lib files for? can I just copy
blat.exe to a stations, run blat -install and go from there?
Also, if I use scheduler to run blat, it seems to need a command
window to run. Will blat run if the user is not loged in?
//RB
Blat.dll and Blat.lib are for developers who want to link it to their
programs. For your needs, Blat.exe should be just fine.

After creating the shortcut, modify its properties to run minimized.

Romson Christer
2003-09-24 07:58:05 UTC
Post by Chip
Post by Ray Belt
what are the blat.dll and blat.lib files for? can I just copy
blat.exe to a stations, run blat -install and go from there?
Also, if I use scheduler to run blat, it seems to need a command
window to run. Will blat run if the user is not loged in?
Blat.dll and Blat.lib are for developers who want to link it to
their programs. For your needs, Blat.exe should be just fine.
After creating the shortcut, modify its properties to run minimized.
Ray, you don't even need to run -install. All -install does is storing
some convenience values in the registry that you can override on
the command line. And if you plan to run blat without a user being
logged in, you probably don't want to rely on values stored in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER part of the registry anyway!

Blat shouldn't need a command window. There's a comman
switch for silent mode. If you give that you should be able to
use it without any windows or shortcuts being involved.

Christer Romson

Romson Christer
2003-09-24 15:08:34 UTC
Can I just copy blat.exe to a stations, run blat -install and go from
there?
If you plan to run blat without a user being logged in, you probably don't
want to rely on values stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER part of the
registry anyway!
Tim Musson informed me in a private mail that I was wrong:
TM> Blat stores it's info in
TM> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Public Domain \ Blat
TM> which is multi user (as I am sure you know :-).

(But I still think it's better to maintain all the information in one place
rather than splitting it between the registry and a batch file. So there.)

Christer Romson

Tim Musson
2003-09-24 15:22:04 UTC
Hey Christer,

My MUA believes you used Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
to write the following on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 11:08:34 AM.
Can I just copy blat.exe to a stations, run blat -install and go from
RC> there?
If you plan to run blat without a user being logged in, you probably don't
want to rely on values stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER part of the
registry anyway!
RC> Tim Musson informed me in a private mail that I was wrong:
TM>> Blat stores it's info in
TM>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Public Domain \ Blat
TM>> which is multi user (as I am sure you know :-).

RC> (But I still think it's better to maintain all the information in one place
RC> rather than splitting it between the registry and a batch file. So there.)

I agree, I don't use the Registry my self... But I can see why some
people would want to.
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q

Ray Belt
2003-09-24 22:46:07 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
RC> (But I still think it's better to maintain all the information in one place
RC> rather than splitting it between the registry and a batch file. So there.)
Funny stuff --

I did find the registry settings and my first thought was 'cool, all
I need to do is modify the registry now' but I see the advantage in
running from bat so I may reconfig it so that everything runs from
the batch file... I'm assuming that blat created both the 'public
domain' as well as the 'blat' keys and that all I need to do to clean
the machine is delete them...

I didn't see the -q option (I'm assuming that will keep the dos
window from opening at all but will check this on friday) and will
drop that in as well.

This little program rocks!

//RB
Doug Jenkins
2003-09-25 01:32:54 UTC
Greetings,

I recently switched several email lists I maintain from using Outlook Express to using Blat. In order to maintain the formating I was using under OE I tried creating rtf files, but they ended up as attachments when I wanted the message to appear in the body. So I switched to using Microsoft Word to create html docs. That seemed to work. However....
Several people on my list are complaining that they are getting raw html, that is the html coding and none of the formatting. These seem people using Mac's and older versions of AOL, and one person using OS/2.
However, when I was using OE, they saw the formatting I intended. Now using Word to generate html, apparently there is something confusing their email programs and they see the raw text.

So, suggestions, please..... I am looking for a way to generate the formatting I had before. I am VERY computer literate, but new to this area of html.

Peace,
Doug

Chip
2003-09-25 03:31:01 UTC
Post by Doug Jenkins
[...]
1. Word is creating XML, which confuses older non-XML aware browsers and
email clients.

2. When using Blat, are you also using -html option for your html messages?

3. To send your pdf file, use -attach <filename.pdf>. Again, how the email
is packaged affects the ability of your older clients to read and decode it.
The first option for Blat specifies the file to be sent, and its intent is
for text messages, not for binary files. Binary files should be sent as
attachments with the -attach option.

Chip

Doug Jenkins
2003-09-25 12:19:51 UTC
Chip,
I am not using the -html option. Does it help with the older browsers and email clients? For my own testing, and the majority of people I send to, they get everything ok, so I didn't include it in my bat file.

I am using the -attach for the pdf file. It is looking like the problem is either the older clients, or they are on isp's who restrict the length of time attachments/mail are kept..

Cheers,
Doug
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

Chip
2003-09-25 14:19:22 UTC
Post by Doug Jenkins
Chip,
I am not using the -html option. Does it help with the older
browsers and email clients? For my own testing, and the majority of
people I send to, they get everything ok, so I didn't include it in
my bat file.
I am using the -attach for the pdf file. It is looking like the
problem is either the older clients, or they are on isp's who
restrict the length of time attachments/mail are kept..
Cheers,
Doug
The -html option for sending html messages helps. Version 2.2 tries to
adjust for html files with .htm or .html extensions automatically, but using
the -html option forces Blat to indicate the message is html, which may help
your older clients.

Sorry, can't help you with those ISP issues. :)

Chip

Doug Jenkins
2003-09-28 21:09:18 UTC
I tried the -html, but I think that would have helped only if none of my emails came thru as html.
I think my problem is the difference between what Outlook Express generates (I assumed html) vs what Word generates (which is html). If you happen to know the answer to that I think my problems would go away...

Cheers,
Doug

Tim Musson
2003-09-28 23:56:38 UTC
Hey Doug,

My MUA believes you used Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
to write the following on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at 5:09:18 PM.

DJ> I tried the -html, but I think that would have helped only if none
DJ> of my emails came thru as html. I think my problem is the difference
DJ> between what Outlook Express generates (I assumed html) vs what Word
DJ> generates (which is html). If you happen to know the answer to that
DJ> I think my problems would go away...

Well, MS Word isn't known for creating 'standard' html code. I just
created a Word doc and saved it to html format. Finally, I ran it
through HTML-Tidy which is a program that checks (and fixes, etc) html
based on the W3C's html standard. There were a bunch of things it fixed,
but was unable to do anything with a couple of attributes...

After all that, I am guessing that any current MS mail client will be
able to accept an MS Word doc turned html. However, it seems that older,
non-MS, and other clients that are expecting W3C type html documents may
have a problem...

What happens if you use a different editor to create your html document?

If you like, you could send a test to me directly and I will check out
what it looks like with my mail client (I can look at the raw message,
or the html as txt, or even look at it as html (which I *never* do
usually).)
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
Do or Do not, There is no try - Master Yoda
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2, see www.blat.net

Doug Jenkins
2003-09-29 00:32:44 UTC
Hi Tim,
I can forward one of my Word-generated email files to you, but before I do, since you are verifying my suspicion that Word html has something wrong in it, do you have a suggestion on another editor to use to generate my html messages?

Tim Musson
2003-09-29 00:45:32 UTC
Hey Doug,

My MUA believes you used Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
to write the following on Sunday, September 28, 2003 at 8:32:44 PM.

DJ> I can forward one of my Word-generated email files to you, but
DJ> before I do, since you are verifying my suspicion that Word html has
DJ> something wrong in it, do you have a suggestion on another editor to
DJ> use to generate my html messages?

I personally use a text editor (Vim, but lots of people don't like
vi)... There are *lots* of tools that will allow you to generate valid
html documents. I don't do enough html to use one though... I suggest a
Google search, or look around on SourceForge.net. Others may have some
suggestions...
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
Who is "they" anyway?

loosegroove2000
2003-09-29 02:16:43 UTC
Post by Tim Musson
I personally use a text editor (Vim, but lots of people don't like
vi)... There are *lots* of tools that will allow you to generate valid
html documents. I don't do enough html to use one though... I suggest a
Google search, or look around on SourceForge.net. Others may have some
suggestions...
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
Who is "they" anyway?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2, see www.blat.net
You can find some good HTML editors here:
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003WEBDESIGN.htm#Editor
--
Bronson C. Elliott

Tutor2000
2003-10-05 18:49:27 UTC
Even after years of doing html I'm still a wysiwyg baby. I like
Staroffice The 5.* version is still free

Rick
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
Doug Jenkins
2003-10-06 02:21:48 UTC
Hmmm. Looks like V5 is no longer available...

Post by Tim Musson
Google search, or look around on SourceForge.net. Others may have some
suggestions...
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
Who is "they" anyway?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2, see www.blat.net
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Community email addresses:
Post message: ***@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: blat-***@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

Homepage:
http://www.blat.net

Tutor2000
2003-10-06 23:15:29 UTC
Unless your wallet looks like mine the 6.0 ver gets a trial and it
then only $79.00 or something.

Has a spreadsheet wordprocessor powerpoint like thingie and very good
html editor

rick
Post by Tim Musson
DJ> use to generate my html messages?
I personally use a text editor (Vim, but lots of people don't like
vi)... There are *lots* of tools that will allow you to
generate
Post by Doug Jenkins
valid
Post by Tim Musson
Google search, or look around on SourceForge.net. Others may
have
Post by Doug Jenkins
some
Post by Tim Musson
suggestions...
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
Who is "they" anyway?
Blat Manager, current version is 2.2, see www.blat.net
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Service.
loosegroove2000
2003-10-07 00:18:21 UTC
Post by Tutor2000
Unless your wallet looks like mine the 6.0 ver gets a trial and it
then only $79.00 or something.
Has a spreadsheet wordprocessor powerpoint like thingie and very good
html editor
rick
I know this is getting off-topic but try Open Office 1.1. It's built
from Star Office but it is completely free and has the same apps. It
also has MS Office compatibility. It really is a solid office suite
and it's free.

http://www.openoffice.org/
--
Bronson C. Elliott

Doug Jenkins

Doug Jenkins
2003-10-06 02:23:49 UTC
Hi Tim,
Is VIM unix only? Or did I track down the wrong one?

And HTML-Tidy - do you have a source for it. I got one that was unix, but didn't immediately see a Windows version...

TIA,

Tim Musson
2003-10-06 11:22:24 UTC
Hey Doug,

My MUA believes you used Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
to write the following on Sunday, October 5, 2003 at 10:23:49 PM.

DJ> Is VIM unix only? Or did I track down the wrong one?

No, but your subsequent post indicates you found the Win32 version. I
usually just grab gvim62.exe (with the number being the current
version).

DJ> And HTML-Tidy - do you have a source for it. I got one that was
DJ> unix, but didn't immediately see a Windows version...

The main page is http://tidy.sf.net and I think the first hit of a text
search on 'windows' will be a link to the w32 download.

If you do end up wanting to use Vim and Tidy, let me know, I have a bit
of config code for your _vimrc config file to make it easier.
--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v1.62q
Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 3)
I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow.

Doug Jenkins
2003-09-25 01:45:21 UTC
Another in my journey of switching from Outlook Express to Blat....

I have a pdf file that I sent at regular intervals. I recently sent the first one using blat, using a file that sent each one as an individual email. I have received several emails from people saying they never received the email containing the file. The batch job I ran was averaging a bit less than a minute per email, so I am sure it was going out. Plus my test emails to myself worked ok.... I was even in the full address list, so I got another copy along with everyone else. The total time to send the file to 100+ people was an hour or so...

Any ideas? Or am I running into problems with different email programs again.....

Cheers,
Doug

Tim Musson
2003-09-25 01:01:25 UTC
Hey Ray,

My MUA believes you used eGroups-EW/0.82
to write the following on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 6:46:07 PM.

RB> I did find the registry settings and my first thought was 'cool, all
RB> I need to do is modify the registry now' but I see the advantage in
RB> running from bat so I may reconfig it so that everything runs from
RB> the batch file... I'm assuming that blat created both the 'public
RB> domain' as well as the 'blat' keys and that all I need to do to clean
RB> the machine is delete them...

It created at least the blat key. I don't know if there is another
program that uses the 'public domain' key or not - at least there is not
on my PC's.

RB> I didn't see the -q option (I'm assuming that will keep the dos
RB> window from opening at all but will check this on friday) and will
RB> drop that in as well.

What -q does is prevent Blat from echoing anything to the screen.

RB> This little program rocks!

We think so :-)
--
Tim Musson